• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Wide Angle Mind Your Own Business "It is too hard to buy something"

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

They're back! Our latest series of Dgrin Challenges, the OOYCZ Challenges (Out of Your Comfort Zone), is a series of challenges to help you improve your photography by stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something new. Our challenge leader says "Consider it like a photography class with no diplomas.". Get started with OOYCZ by reading the Challenge Guide.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Old May-02-2012, 09:39 AM
SimpsonBrothers is offline SimpsonBrothers OP
Hobbyist
"It is too hard to buy something"
I've heard; "It's too hard to buy something from your site" multiple times.
It is generally from people over 40 who have problems.
"There is too many options"
"What is finish"
"I just want a picture!"
"No I don't know what size"

Wow.
Anyone else have this problem???

Smugger for life!

Most Popular Photos
Old May-02-2012, 09:56 AM
Pupator is offline Pupator
Major grins
I sell prints on Smugmug for a non-profit I work with (not my personal site) and I used to have this problem. Then I eliminated almost all of the purchasing options!

Now they can only get lustre finish and they can only get 4x6, 8x12, 16x20 and wallets. Maybe that costs us sales, but I doubt it. I has certainly reduced the number of questions!
Old May-02-2012, 10:04 AM
mercphoto is offline mercphoto
Bill Jurasz
Pupator is right. I browsed quickly to your site and you have a very big problem with causing choice paralysis with your customer. Way, way, way, way too many choices when it comes time to buy a print. Cull it down. Pick a few sizes for prints. Pick one, maybe two paper types. Don't offer everything under the sun. And doing that will NOT cost you sales, it will gain you sales.
Old May-02-2012, 01:49 PM
jasonscottphoto is offline jasonscottphoto
(I'm not Jason...)
I got rid of everything but lustre too and limit the sizes. I still get that comment from some people but they are all relatives - not usually customers ;)
Old May-03-2012, 04:39 AM
Glort is offline Glort
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpsonBrothers View Post
I've heard; "It's too hard to buy something from your site" multiple times.
I can see why.

Are your main clients over or under 40's?
If the majority are under, I wouldn't worry too much.

If they are over, You have a big problem. For each comment you are hearing there is probably 20 you don't.

Some people I have experienced seem to have trouble with the self same questions on a checkout they have no issues with on paper. I guess you are never going to make everyone happy so aim for your target market and don't stress the rest.
Old May-03-2012, 09:32 AM
Overfocused is offline Overfocused
Photo Nut
I leave all at luster only, and only in sizes which fit the aspect ratio of the picture correctly. Also on prints worth printing on metal for fine art, I'll leave that option open, too. I was even confused by the system for awhile til I cut down the options, and I am a very technically adept person. They've revised the cart to be MUCH easier to use since a few years ago, but I can see places where it might not be intuitive for those that aren't very tech savvy.
Old May-04-2012, 09:25 AM
jpc is offline jpc
bokeh junkie
I simplified mine also, but I left "glossy" as an option. Any particular reason why you all chose to leave only "luster"?

please visit: www.babyelephants.net
Old May-04-2012, 02:10 PM
Pupator is offline Pupator
Major grins
Many of us consider lustre to be the best of both worlds. It has the shine of glossy and the durability of matte. Most buyers don't know what it is but it's probably the finish they'd prefer.
Old May-05-2012, 08:09 AM
Overfocused is offline Overfocused
Photo Nut
I use luster because it doesn't turn the paper surface into a mirror like glossy does. Its much easier to see the print, while also keeping the contrast and color quality of glossy.

Ever try to edit photos on a high gloss screen with ANY light around you? You'll want to toss it out the window. Matte screens are better for this reason, too, unless you can use a gloss in a pitch black environment. It drives me crazy that so many notebook computers are given glossy screens as if they're better. Its a lame marketing thing