• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Support Legacy SmugMug Customization Knaak's customization thread

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

They're back! Our latest series of Dgrin Challenges, the OOYCZ Challenges (Out of Your Comfort Zone), is a series of challenges to help you improve your photography by stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something new. Our challenge leader says "Consider it like a photography class with no diplomas.". Get started with OOYCZ by reading the Challenge Guide.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Old Apr-30-2012, 06:25 PM
Knaaks is offline Knaaks OP
Big grins
Knaak's customization thread
Hello - My web site is:
http://www.brandtstudio.com/
I know I still have a lot of improvements to make….. Anyway a few questions:

#1. - Home Page - How can I make the background color dark on the bottom and then lighter on top (sort of the opposite of what I currently have). I selected "Carbonate" for my current background. I saw another smugmug weg site that has dark on the bottom and then lighter on top.
#2 - Home Page - I do not like the extra box around my slideshow on the home page. I want my homepage very clean and sharp. I find that extra framed box distracting.
#3 - Home Page- Can I make my slideshow photographs larger? I am thinking about selecting all horizontal photographs for my home page slideshow. I feel that my home page has too much empty space.
#4 - Bio Page - I want to make my text larger and not restrained to the box. I am not sure how to get rid of the box.
#5 - Classes - I also want the text larger on this page, so it is easier to read. Also if the background is darker - the white lettering might stand out more.

Thank you for your help - KnaakS
Old Apr-30-2012, 06:49 PM
Big grins
Web Design
Hello - the link is listed below:

1. I chose " Carbon Fiber" for my custom background color. Is there a way to get the color reversed (darker on the bottom and lighter on the top?). I also want to add a dark grey 1/2 " thick band on top - where I would write my header " Susanne Brandt Photography" in it as well as my tabs for my pages.

2. I am also trying to get rid of the grey box outlining my slideshow. I went into Easy Customizer and saw a tab for "Boxes" and I do not have either of those items checked, so I am not sure why my slideshow is outlined with a box.
(I do not have the item checked that reads:
Boxes - Use custom box background & / Use custom box border

3. I am trying to get the text in my Bio and classes pages larger - I am not sure how to do that.
I also want these pages to be darker on the top and get lighter on the bottom. (opposite from what I currently have). I find these pages very difficult to read.
Thanks - KnaakS
Old Apr-30-2012, 07:32 PM
J Allen is offline J Allen
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knaaks View Post
Hello - the link is listed below:

1. I chose " Carbon Fiber" for my custom background color. Is there a way to get the color reversed (darker on the bottom and lighter on the top?). I also want to add a dark grey 1/2 " thick band on top - where I would write my header " Susanne Brandt Photography" in it as well as my tabs for my pages.

2. I am also trying to get rid of the grey box outlining my slideshow. I went into Easy Customizer and saw a tab for "Boxes" and I do not have either of those items checked, so I am not sure why my slideshow is outlined with a box.

3. I am trying to get the text in my Bio and classes pages larger - I am not sure how to do that.
I also want these pages to be darker on the top and get lighter on the bottom. (opposite from what I currently have). I find these pages very difficult to read.
Thanks - KnaakS

First thing, remove this from your CSS box and place it in your bottom java-script box:

Code:
//--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Install Email Contact Link (for pro accounts only)
// 
// Version 1.1
//--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YE.onDOMReady(InitMyContactButton);

function InitMyContactButton()
{
    InitMyContactButton.extraContactUsButtons = new Array;
    var contacts = Sizzle(".customContactButton");
    // look in Easy Customizer navbar too
    var navEntries = Sizzle("#customNav li a");
    for (var j = 0; j < navEntries.length; j++)
    {
        var str = navEntries[j].href;
        if (str.search(/\/customcontact/i) != -1)
        {
            navEntries[j].onclick = function () {return false;};
            contacts.push(navEntries[j]);
            break;
        }
    }
    var nick, o, matches;

// see if the nickname is already defined in the page
    try {
        nick = NickName || SM.hostConfig.nickname ;    // get standard nickname
    } catch (e) {}

// see if the nickname is in the URL
    if (!nick)
    {
        try {
            matches = window.location.host.match(/^(www.)?(.*)\.smugmug\.com$/i);
            nick = matches[2];
        } catch (e) {}
    }

// see if we can get the nickname from one of the built-in contact links on the page
    if (!nick)
    {
        // hack - NickName doesn't exist on some pages so we try to pull it from the password prompt or the standard footer
        o = YD.get("contactUsButtonWrapper") || YD.get("contactUsButtonWrapperFooter");
        matches = o.onmouseover.toString().match(/ownerNickName:\s*'([^']+)'/)
        if (matches && matches.length > 1)
        {
            nick = matches[1];
        }
    }
    for (var i = 0; i < contacts.length; i++)
    {
        InitMyContactButton.extraContactUsButtons.push(new SM.buttons.contactUs
        (
            contacts[i].parentNode,
            contacts[i],
            {
                buttonText: 'Contact', 
                panelTitle: 'Contact the gallery owner', 
                currentPage: window.location.toString(), 
                currentPageOverride: '', 
                referringPage: '', 
                pro: '', 
                modal: 'true', 
                popupName: 'contactOwner', 
                uniqueID: 'myContactPanel' + InitMyContactButton.extraContactUsButtons.length, 
                ownerNickName: nick, 
                width: '755px', 
                albumID: '', 
                additionalParams: 'FooterContact'
            }
        ));
    }
}
Old Apr-30-2012, 07:33 PM
J Allen is offline J Allen
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knaaks View Post

Add this to your CSS box:

Code:
/*Remove Theme*/ 
.galleryPage, .boxBottom, .boxTop, .box  
{border:none !important} .boxBottom, .boxTop, .box  
{background:none !important}
Old May-01-2012, 05:32 PM
Big grins
Thank you for your help. It worked and my home page looks better. - Knaaks
Old May-03-2012, 04:49 AM
Big grins
Hello - My link to my web site is:

I asked this question two days ago - I do not want to bother you again - but i could not find the response (maybe you have not gotten to it yet - I understand). I looked all over Digital Grin for the response.

I did post this as a "New Thread" - instead of a reply to my last question.

My question is:
I have selected "Carbon Fiber" for my background color. I love the dark carbon grey - but would like that coming up for the bottom and just near the top getting a little lighter - and then add a dark carbon grey strip on the top of the site - under the green color tabs.

I know this can be done, since I saw it on someone else's site. I did not see anything like that in the choices for background colors.
Thank you for your help - KnaakS http://www.dgrin.com/images/smilies/rolleyes1.gif
Old May-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Smug Eric is online now Smug Eric
Smug Hero
You will want to create the image you are wanding to have show as your background. You could even save a copy of the Carbon Fiber background and flip it and then use that instead of trying to create something.
Old May-05-2012, 09:09 AM
Big grins
Cookies
Hello - Thank you - I was able to switch my background. My next question is: On my "Classes" page, below "Susanne Brandt Photography" it reads in white
Sue Brandt>other>classes> edit (it think you see that), can I get rid of that?

I also want to get rid of the cookie on the top of the classes Page:
"gallery pages 1".

I am trying to clean up this page, so it is not so busy.
KnaakS
(my web sight is www.BrandtStudio.com)
Old May-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Big grins
Background
Hello, thank you again for assisting me create a new carbon color background for my site. Anyway it looks good on my home page, but on my classes and other pages it has the dark carbon strip on top and then carbon color on the middle of the page and then it goes to light grey on the bottom half of the page. I am not sure why this is happening. Do I need to make my image that I uploaded larger so it fills in more of the page. I just do not know where this light grey is coming from??

My web site is: www. BrandtStudio.com
Knaaks
Old May-05-2012, 09:19 AM
Big grins
Slideshow Photographs
Hello - I would like to make my Home page slideshow photographs larger (especially the horizontal one's). I went into the settings in the gallery and selected 3XLarge on the photograph size, but they did not change. I noticed on some other smugmug web sites that you can have your horizontal photographs larger so they fill up the page a bit more - how can I do this?

Thanks - KnaakS
Old May-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Smug Eric is online now Smug Eric
Smug Hero
The homepage slideshow is a set width. What you will probably want to do is set up the jFriend html5 slideshow that is stickied in this forum.
Old May-08-2012, 02:09 AM
Big grins
Breadcrumb
Hello - Thank you for your help with my site. I do have another question:
On my "Classes" page, (below Susanne Brandt Photography" it reads in white letters:
Sue Brandt>other>edit (I think that shows up on the visitor view). Can I get rid of that or not?

I also want to get rid of the breadcrumb on the top of the classes page:
"gallery pages 1".

Thank you - Knaaks
my site is: www.BrandtStudio.com
Old May-08-2012, 02:29 AM
Big grins
HTML5 Slideshow
Hello - I found some notes on the HTML5 slideshow on page 1 of Digital Grin. I did have a question for jfriend : should I follow those notes listed on page 1 or has it been updated? I would like to create my slideshow like the show on Moon River (it is the slideshow in a frame).

It appears that all the photographs on Moon River Photography web site are horizontal on the homepage. Can you run the new HTML5 Slideshow with a combination of vertical and horizontal photographs?

thank you - Knaaks
Old May-08-2012, 04:13 AM
denisegoldberg is offline denisegoldberg
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knaaks;1774680I found some notes on the HTML5 slideshow on page 1 of Digital Grin. I did have a question for jfriend : should I follow those notes listed on page 1 or has it been updated? I would like to create my slideshow like the show on Moon River (it is the slideshow in a frame).
[/QUOTE
It appears that all the photographs on Moon River Photography web site are horizontal on the homepage. Can you run the new HTML5 Slideshow with a combination of vertical and horizontal photographs?
If you have questions about JFriend's HTML5 slideshow you should ask them in that thread. But - John does keep the notes updated (as linked to from that thread).

--- Denise

Musings & ramblings at http://denisegoldberg.blogspot.com, quick posts in google+
Tell The World!