• Gear
  • Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Shots The Dgrin Challenges DSS 101 Considerations

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr-28-2012, 11:14 PM
#1
DsrtVW is offline DsrtVW OP
Light Stalking
DsrtVW's Avatar
DSS 101 Considerations
Please let me know your feelings on these offerings

Avocets Napa Marshes
1.


2. B&W



3. Fresnel Lens



4.Rust


5.B&W
__________________
Chris K. NANPA Member
http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
Old Apr-29-2012, 02:16 AM
#2
torrbrae is offline torrbrae
Torrbrae
torrbrae's Avatar
Nice texture in the waves in #1 & #2 - prefer the colour in #1 to B&W. #3 has very interesting colours/reflections. #4 & #5 have good texture, but do not jump out at me. Would go with #1 then #3.
Old Apr-29-2012, 05:49 AM
#3
richtersl is offline richtersl
Major grins
richtersl's Avatar
I can't take my eyes off #3. I love the colors and patterns. I like the idea of photographing rust for texture. But to best see the texture of rust, you want to photograph it on something that still has areas that are not rusted so you can see the contrast between the two.

You like to photograph birds -- what about shooting one really close up so we can see the texture of its feathers? Or try cropping a shot of a bird that zeros in on its feathers?
__________________
Linda

http://lrichters.smugmug.com
Old Apr-29-2012, 12:12 PM
#4
billseye is offline billseye
Major grins
billseye's Avatar
I do like the textures and overall effect of the Fresnell lens shot, but there's such a small area overall that's in tack sharp focus (lower left) that I'm distracted looking for sharpness in the rest of the image.

From the set you've posted, I prefer the B&W of the birds. To me it captures the variation in water texture better than the color version (which to me is compromised by the color shift to brown in the middle and lower half.
__________________
Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
Old Apr-29-2012, 02:48 PM
#5
DsrtVW is offline DsrtVW OP
Light Stalking
DsrtVW's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by torrbrae View Post
Nice texture in the waves in #1 & #2 - prefer the colour in #1 to B&W. #3 has very interesting colours/reflections. #4 & #5 have good texture, but do not jump out at me. Would go with #1 then #3.
Thank you for the input

Quote:
Originally Posted by richtersl View Post
I can't take my eyes off #3. I love the colors and patterns. I like the idea of photographing rust for texture. But to best see the texture of rust, you want to photograph it on something that still has areas that are not rusted so you can see the contrast between the two.

You like to photograph birds -- what about shooting one really close up so we can see the texture of its feathers? Or try cropping a shot of a bird that zeros in on its feathers?
Thanks Linda I did not have my Macro lens with me but both of those ideas are on the list, time permitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billseye View Post
I do like the textures and overall effect of the Fresnell lens shot, but there's such a small area overall that's in tack sharp focus (lower left) that I'm distracted looking for sharpness in the rest of the image.

From the set you've posted, I prefer the B&W of the birds. To me it captures the variation in water texture better than the color version (which to me is compromised by the color shift to brown in the middle and lower half.
I took a lot of shots of that lens but it was hard to pick out one that popped, it just did not come across when looking at it to the capture. Thanks for the feedback
__________________
Chris K. NANPA Member
http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
Old Apr-29-2012, 03:06 PM
#6
travelways is offline travelways
Candid Grinner
travelways's Avatar
I would suggest to look into your lens shots and find the best one - very nice!!!
__________________
Tatiana - Travelways.com

Observing the world around is my hobby :)
Old Apr-29-2012, 07:03 PM
#7
billseye is offline billseye
Major grins
billseye's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DsrtVW View Post
I took a lot of shots of that lens but it was hard to pick out one that popped, it just did not come across when looking at it to the capture. Thanks for the feedback
I've taken close-ups of the fresnell lens at the Cabrillo Lighthouse in San Diego and of the Cabrillo Point Lighthouse in Northern CA. It's dang hard to capture the colors and vibrance of the scene!
__________________
Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
Old Apr-30-2012, 08:29 AM
#8
WhatSheSaw is offline WhatSheSaw
Major grins
WhatSheSaw's Avatar
The fresnel lens is the one that grabs me. I really like the texture in the rust and prefer color to B&W. Of the birds, I like the color better, but could go either way.
Tell The World!  
Similar Threads Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
#81 considerations.... JAG The Dgrin Challenges 13 Jul-23-2011 08:44 AM
DSS #80 Only have 2 considerations so far DaddyO The Dgrin Challenges 12 Jul-11-2011 07:49 PM
DSS #71 considerations DonRicklin The Dgrin Challenges 7 Feb-25-2011 11:54 AM
LPS#4 Considerations richtersl The Dgrin Challenges 17 Apr-21-2007 04:54 PM
Air Travel considerations StevenV The Big Picture 9 Mar-28-2006 11:55 AM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump