• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Gear Accessories Speedlight SB600 D300S/D200

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

They're back! Our latest series of Dgrin Challenges, the OOYCZ Challenges (Out of Your Comfort Zone), is a series of challenges to help you improve your photography by stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something new. Our challenge leader says "Consider it like a photography class with no diplomas.". Get started with OOYCZ by reading the Challenge Guide.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Old Apr-28-2012, 11:16 AM
Aart is offline Aart OP
Aart
Speedlight SB600 D300S/D200
My speedlight SB-600 would not trigger my D300S further then about 2 meters (6ft) In contrast my D200 trigger the speedlight at least 5-meters from the source.
1.) Any idea where the sensor of the SB600 is located?
2.) Is there a solution to this? I would like to use my D300 from about 4 meters from the source.
Old Apr-28-2012, 12:50 PM
angevin1 is offline angevin1
Performs as designed
Sensor is just forward of your battery door and is about 10mm in circumference.
It also has a symbol above it. That Symbol looks a lot like the symbol for Commander mode in the SB600 menu.

The solution for outdoor is to have line of sight with the On-board flash And the SB600 sensor seeing each other. It can be hit or miss. But my experience with Nikon CLS has been good out of doors. Indoors you can get away with a lot more due to signal bounce.
Old Apr-28-2012, 11:33 PM
Aart is offline Aart OP
Aart
Quote:
Originally Posted by angevin1 View Post
Sensor is just forward of your battery door and is about 10mm in circumference.
It also has a symbol above it. That Symbol looks a lot like the symbol for Commander mode in the SB600 menu.

The solution for outdoor is to have line of sight with the On-board flash And the SB600 sensor seeing each other. It can be hit or miss. But my experience with Nikon CLS has been good out of doors. Indoors you can get away with a lot more due to signal bounce.
I am delighted with this information. After more experimentation I found that my lens is the culprit and not the camera. I presume the lens body may shadow a crucial bit of light. I will check this out later today. I think we are about 7 or 8 hours before you. I am always trying to keep a line of sight and some times I am surprised at the angles it fires. With my 500mm lens however, it is not that easy.
Aart
Tell The World!