• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Photo Craft Finishing School UPSIZING Photos

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Old Apr-27-2012, 06:27 AM
David Evertsen is offline David Evertsen OP
Regular Grin-Orama
UPSIZING Photos
I have a Dance Company that I have done work for in the past that uses my photos for Posters and such, they have a request to upsize to of my JPEGS for larger posters to 3-4mb even though they are 300dpi. The pictures are all of about 650k file size. Is there an effective way to do this in PhotoShop5 or LR4 so that I don't have to spend $99 for Genuine Fractals and not make the images look bad, any other less expensive ideas? I don't mind buying software but I have donate my time to this company to help the out.
http://www.sportsshooter.com/members.html?id=10162
Old Apr-27-2012, 06:49 AM
ZBlack is offline ZBlack
ZLB Photography
In your export options in LR4 there is a section you can upres the photos. I have not used it, but have read in a couple places that people have had decent results with it.
Old Apr-27-2012, 06:55 AM
Regular Grin-Orama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBlack View Post
In your export options in LR4 there is a section you can upres the photos. I have not used it, but have read in a couple places that people have had decent results with it.
Thanks I found some info on it and will give it a shot...
Old Apr-27-2012, 08:47 AM
ziggy53 is offline ziggy53
Still learnin'still lovin
From my experience you are much better to upres in ACR from the original RAW file, when available.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=158823
Old Apr-27-2012, 09:45 AM
Peano is offline Peano
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Evertsen View Post
I have a Dance Company that I have done work for in the past that uses my photos for Posters and such, they have a request to upsize to of my JPEGS for larger posters to 3-4mb even though they are 300dpi.
Three points ...

1. 3-4MB is a measure of file size, not image size/resolution. Assuming
you're saving at a reasonably high quality level, the numbers that count
are pixels per (printed) inch -- ppi.

2. Regarding resolution, you should check with the print shop that will
print the posters. Ask them what resolution they recommend for
whatever size the posters will be.

3. Whatever the answer is, ask them if it would be better for them to
resize (upsample) the images to meet their needs. In many cases
you're better off letting them do it on their equipment.
Old Apr-27-2012, 11:39 AM
Art Scott is offline Art Scott
Have PASSPORT will TRAVEL
I do not have LR 4 and am only upto PSCS4 and still OnOne Softwares Perfect Resize outs all others for me... it was in the Past called Genuine Fractals and I have found nothing to beat it when it comes to uprezing...
Good Luck.

A ZENFOLIO 10% Discount Coupon CODE - A8K-Q2K-VPG
Old Apr-27-2012, 12:26 PM
Regular Grin-Orama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Scott View Post
I do not have LR 4 and am only upto PSCS4 and still OnOne Softwares Perfect Resize outs all others for me... it was in the Past called Genuine Fractals and I have found nothing to beat it when it comes to uprezing...
Good Luck.
Don't have the RAW files, I shot JPEG back then. I am trying the LR4 stuff tonight and may have to get the Perfect Resize from what I have heard.. Thanks for all the help.. I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks
Old Apr-27-2012, 02:02 PM
Art Scott is offline Art Scott
Have PASSPORT will TRAVEL
Genuine Fractals / Perfect Resize works Perfectly on JPGS....that is one of the last things in my workflow, just before sharpening with unsharp mask...
Good Luck.

A ZENFOLIO 10% Discount Coupon CODE - A8K-Q2K-VPG
Old Apr-27-2012, 04:35 PM
BinaryFx is offline BinaryFx
Major grins
http://www.dgrin.com/archive/index.php/t-213256.html

Stephen Marsh
Old Apr-27-2012, 05:12 PM
Regular Grin-Orama
Okay here is the deal, I used the LR4 export at set it to 12mp 300dpi and it worked great, I know it is not the prescribed way to show how it worked out but check out the gallery and give me your honest opinion.

The pictures with 2012 as the year are the upsized ones.

http://www.phabulousphotos.com/Famil...2672083_n2hP6h

I think it came out really nice..

Thanks
Old Apr-27-2012, 05:39 PM
Peano is offline Peano
Major grins
Quote:
set it to 12mp 300dpi
Hmmm ...
Old Apr-27-2012, 05:42 PM
Regular Grin-Orama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peano View Post
Hmmm ...

Okay I will bite.. These file sizes where small, doesn't mean quality does but my post processing has changed significantly in 3 years. Files where already 240 dpi but didn't work for their poster process. I understand the mb, I actually think they wanted a 3 or 4 mp file just to make sure.

Thanks
Old Apr-28-2012, 05:58 AM
Peano is offline Peano
Major grins
Quote:
I actually think they wanted a 3 or 4 mp file just to make sure.
What are the dimensions of the posters, and what resolution does the print lab want for those dimensions?
Old Apr-28-2012, 06:31 AM
Regular Grin-Orama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peano View Post
What are the dimensions of the posters, and what resolution does the print lab want for those dimensions?
I am flying blind on the sizes and the art department is in Germany, the Dance Company director gave me some of what he thought what they said and I did my best. Wish I could know.

Thanks
Old Apr-28-2012, 08:43 AM
Sam is offline Sam
San Jose CA
They have phones in Germany. Plus there are some pretty common standards. After reading your post i don't have any clear idea what kind of pixel count you have or what size the client wants to print, or who is doing the printing.

It appears you are talking to an intermediary who don't really know the answers ether.

You need date in order to send the right size, color space, file format etc.

Sam
Old Apr-29-2012, 06:08 PM
Regular Grin-Orama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
They have phones in Germany. Plus there are some pretty common standards. After reading your post i don't have any clear idea what kind of pixel count you have or what size the client wants to print, or who is doing the printing.

It appears you are talking to an intermediary who don't really know the answers ether.

You need date in order to send the right size, color space, file format etc.

Sam
Honestly I don't need to call Germany to find out exactly, just looking for some simple tips. I understand the complexity of printing posters mp and sizes, just looking for a way to use my existing software and this thread did the trick. When I took these pictures both the Dance Company and I where both starting up so I there is not alot of monetary gain. With that said I have an entire gallery of art pieces that I have yet to equal with any dance I have shot in the past. Thanks for everyones help I appear to have complied with the requirements..

David
Old May-04-2012, 10:02 PM
pathfinder is offline pathfinder
Drive By Digital Shooter
What camera were these files originally shot on, and what size poster do your people desire?

A 20 inch by 30 inch image at 300 pixels per inch, is 20x300= 6,000 pixels on the short side, and 30x300= 9,000 pixels on the long dimension.

6,000 x 9,000 is 54 Mega pixels. That is a huge enlargement from a 650 kbyte jpg. You CAN make any jpg 'Bigger" , even a tiny one, but you may not like the quality when seen large, unless your original file had sufficient data for the final print size desired. Uprezzing does not add any data, just makes more of the data that is there in the first place.

In Photoshop go to Image Size, and plug in the desired file size in inches, and in pixels per inch, and see how your file looks.

A short blurb about file size, image size, and resolution - http://pathfinder.smugmug.com/Other/...2246604_8fVpw8

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
Old May-08-2012, 12:21 PM
Gary752 is offline Gary752
Major grins
I have printed many 20" X 30" posters in the past 2-3 years through FujiFilm, and never had any problems using either the full size image, or a 4" X 6" crop. I recommend just exporting your RAW to the original size and 300 dpi. You shouldn't have any problems if your printing at 20" X 30".

GaryB
Tell The World!