• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Gear Accessories New stabilised 24-70 from Tamron

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

They're back! Our latest series of Dgrin Challenges, the OOYCZ Challenges (Out of Your Comfort Zone), is a series of challenges to help you improve your photography by stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something new. Our challenge leader says "Consider it like a photography class with no diplomas.". Get started with OOYCZ by reading the Challenge Guide.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Page 2  of  2
1 2
Old Apr-27-2012, 09:22 AM
Manfr3d is offline Manfr3d
Likes it bokehlicious!
Quote:
Originally Posted by divamum View Post
First reviews finally out:

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/ta...s-review-19056

It's looking good, although $1299 is a higher initial price than I was expetcing :-/ Still waiting and watching as this one hits the streets.... :)
same link as above ;)
Old Apr-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Demian is offline Demian
Major grins
Oh man, this thing has me drooling. Lemme know if any of you find ISO chart shots with it...
Old Apr-27-2012, 01:13 PM
divamum is offline divamum OP
Major grins
Sorry Manfred - was posting in haste and didn't see yours before doing so! They are indeed the same.... :)
Old Apr-27-2012, 04:02 PM
MacroPhotoFly is offline MacroPhotoFly
Big grins
Anyone have a view how this lens will compare with the canon 24-105L? Like so many other owners of a 5d2 I have that lens and would step "up" to a 24-70 providing the f2.8 gives me the necessary quality of shallow DoF, bokeh, etc + sharper + IS/VC. I can trade off the longer length if I get all the prior three
Old Apr-28-2012, 04:04 AM
Pupator is offline Pupator
Major grins
Here's the MTF data:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012...24-70-mtf-data
Old Apr-28-2012, 04:32 AM
ziggy53 is online now ziggy53
Still learnin'still lovin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupator View Post
That link also has a brief review and comparison to the Canon equivalent. Recommended reading.
Old Apr-30-2012, 09:20 AM
Major grins
Can somebody here who's good at interpreting the numbers enlighten us as to what those MTF charts are likely to mean? ~hopeful look~

Also, what about those "onion" highlights? I only saw one particular highlight which did that in the sample - I'm curious as to why it WAS only one higlight in the image (which seems weird), and also what that kind of bokeh indicates.
Old Apr-30-2012, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Can somebody here who's good at interpreting the numbers enlighten us as to what those MTF charts are likely to mean? ~hopeful look~

The problem with MTF charts is that there is no single standard or even a single agreement on MTF testing methodology or testing limits. In other words MTF charts only allow comparison between lenses from the same manufacturer or tests at the same testing facility. You cannot directly relate MTF from one source to another source.

To drive home how important this is, almost every manufacturer of lenses does optical MTF testing for quality control and versional testing. Canon uses "calculated" MTF methodology for it's public MTF tables, which only loosely compares to optical methods. Both results can be valuable, but only in the context of each manufacturer and not between each manufacturer.

----------------------

In general, the horizontal scale is lens center to lens edge, while the vertical scale is contrast and resolution (global contrast versus micro-contrast).

The dotted and dashed lines represent the visual OOF qualities and generally the closer the dotted and dashed lines follow each other, the better the bokeh will appear.

Here is a pretty good video explanation of MTF charts and what they mean:

http://youtu.be/DjCoD0_V2RM
Old Jun-14-2012, 12:33 AM
Demian is offline Demian
Major grins
If anyone is interested, there are ISO crops up on the digital picture:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...mp=0&APIComp=0

The reviewer mentioned he had some problem with bad lenses, so IDK how accurate these shots are, but.... they don't look too hot. At every focal length except 70, the Canon 24-70 is sharper at f2.8 than the Tamron is at f8 :x
Old Jun-14-2012, 05:40 AM
Major grins
Am I reading it backwards? I'm jut looking at it now, and it looks like the Tam is sharper in the center (although, granted, not at the edges). The mouseover is the Canon, right?
Old Jun-14-2012, 06:07 AM
Quote:
Am I reading it backwards? I'm jut looking at it now, and it looks like the Tam is sharper in the center (although, granted, not at the edges). The mouseover is the Canon, right?
At 24mm, I see that too. (... That the Tamron is sharper in the center than the Canon.) The difference is not great, however.

Overall, I agree that the Canon has a better showing. The Tamron images do look like they might respond very well to post-processing sharpening techniques.
Old Jun-14-2012, 07:15 AM
chrisdg is offline chrisdg
Major grins
I've read elsewhere (photozone, etc) that when reviewing the Tamron's they get very mixed results depending upon the lens copy they are testing...moreso apparently than Canon. This really worries me. It's easy to get stuck with a an underachieving copy or that it could have been better (unless you buy multiple copies, test the heck out of them, and return the others - if even possible). I guess I'll wait for the Canon 24-70 II and see what sort of results it achieves. In the meantime, I've rented the Canon 24-70 twice now for concerts while waiting for the II.
http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)
Old Jun-14-2012, 10:20 AM
Demian is offline Demian
Major grins
The photozone review said that the focus shifts at higher apertures... making me wonder if this test was done correctly (or if it was a really wonky lens). I'm looking at the corner crops for 35mm and 50mm on the Tamron and they're actually WORSE at f5.6 than f2.8. Can that be right?

The new Canon should be nice, but truthfully I was happy with the original. I was just really hoping to see something around its level with IS :(
Page 2  of  2
1 2
Tell The World!