• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Shots People Scarlet (not Johansen)

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Old Apr-25-2012, 09:13 PM
Smithy is offline Smithy OP
Major grins
Scarlet (not Johansen)
Been away from this forum forever, and finally got the chance to do a little creative shooting today. Was wondering what people think of this.

I popped the hair a bit to bring out the color, dropped the background into grey, and gave it a little blur to focus her more. The shot wasn't posed, these were witting candids. I have a couple more, but let's start here. I need to find my muse, and my edge, again.

and my other hobby... tidewaterforge.com

Last edited by Smithy; Apr-25-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old Apr-26-2012, 06:33 PM
reyvee61 is offline reyvee61
Major grins
Personally I've never been a huge fan of selective color even if the reason is to try and bring focus to your subject. Further, if you are going for editorial style or street photography I'd like to see more of the scene so that a story can be "read" by looking at the image.
From the tight crop here it's really a bit static and quite frankly makes me think of a young lady who is either bored or perhaps daydreaming.
I encourage to to keep shooting though until you find your "muse"
Old Apr-26-2012, 09:06 PM
Major grins
Thank you for the feedback. Like I said, these weren't exactly planned out, but I thought of bringing the camera hoping I could dip my toe back in the water.

She was, indeed, daydreaming a little - just looking out over the river, relaxing. Lost in thought.

Old Apr-27-2012, 05:05 PM
Icebear is offline Icebear
Major grins
It's funny . . . It didn't immediately register that you'd greyed out the BG. I think it's quite effective.
Old Apr-27-2012, 09:40 PM
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebear View Post
It's funny . . . It didn't immediately register that you'd greyed out the BG. I think it's quite effective.

Thank you. It helps that the original background was mostly grey to start with, but I wanted to subdue it further.

Here's the original, straight from the camera:

Old Apr-28-2012, 05:40 AM
Hackbone is offline Hackbone
Always learning
I'm with John on the bkg, didn't even notice it but do like it. When photographing you have to have purpose and shoot or create for that purpose. As a portrait I've got some problems with the hot ear, the crushed cheek by the hand, hair all over the place and hot knuckles, but that is if you were trying to create a classic portrait. If trying for a street shot then agreed a bit more of the background to tie it in.

However as a general capture of a lovely lady I do like it as is. It's a comfortable shot liken to a lazy boy recliner. "Don't care what it looks like it just feels right."