• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Shots Documentary Ground control to major Tom

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Page 1  of  2
1 2
Old Apr-26-2012, 06:32 PM
Javier is offline Javier OP
Major grins
Ground control to major Tom

Ground control to major Tom by Street Vision L.A., on Flickr
Old Apr-26-2012, 06:34 PM
Major grins
Old Apr-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Earache is offline Earache
Unsharp and Oversaturated
Nice, Javier...... A Street Oddity ...
In #1 she has a two dimensional, cut-out look - a very cool thing!
The baby's face tops the lame` cupcake.
Old Apr-26-2012, 08:04 PM
torags is offline torags
Major grins
These shots are assembled.Wrong forum...
Old Apr-26-2012, 08:21 PM
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by torags View Post
These shots are assembled.Wrong forum...
What does this mean?
Old Apr-26-2012, 09:17 PM
lensmole is offline lensmole
Major grins
I don't know what he means Awesome captures and light in the first one, looks just like David in drag.
Old Apr-27-2012, 08:09 AM
torags is offline torags
Major grins
two photos merged into one (#1 you can see an outline of her left hand)... belongs in other cool shots
Old Apr-27-2012, 08:19 AM
Richard is offline Richard
Mildly bemused
Quote:
two photos merged into one (#1 you can see an outline of her left hand)... belongs in other cool shots
Couple of things. First, what makes you so sure these are composites? The hand artifact could be motion blur, I think. Second, there's no rule against composites here, though they are not generally acceptable for photojournalism or documentary purposes. Anything goes in art, though, and art is most certainly welcome on this forum.

That said, there is something weird about the light in these. Was she posing for a film or video shoot?
Old Apr-27-2012, 08:26 AM
Major grins
Quote:
Rags....It is people like you, who drive people away from forums. What you did was accuse me of pasting the image together when I did nothing of the sort. It is not a cut out. Just to show your total ignorance and lack of respect for me and other, here are the out of the camera Jpegs of both pictures. They are full size so you can down load them and examine them. They have not been in any sort of photo editing tool, outside what Nikon provides internally. You just made yourself look foolishly. You should have asked me, instead of making a fool of your self.

http://s404.photobucket.com/albums/p...3DDSC_4033.jpg

http://s404.photobucket.com/albums/p...3DDSC_4041.jpg
Old Apr-27-2012, 08:29 AM
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post

That said, there is something weird about the light in these. Was she posing for a film or video shoot?
Nope, she is a ''he'' and was just out and about having a great time in a very sunny, normal L.A. afternoon.
Take a look at the originals. I posted a link above.
Old Apr-27-2012, 09:30 AM
Mildly bemused
K. The reason I found it strange is that it looks like he is in some strong light yet there aren't strong shadows on the ground. Strong makeup?
Old Apr-27-2012, 09:30 AM
RyanS is offline RyanS
Always Learning
We all should be very careful about accusing anyone of image manipulation. While many post street, there are a few of us here that do street and PJ work. Being accused of image manipulation at all, even for "art," could end a career. It is a highly sensitive subject in the industry right now. This recently came up at a local PJ meeting. A fellow PJ had been suspended for burning in some hot spots on a published image. We all felt that there was probably more to the story, but it still left us with a desire to remain above reproach in this regard. If an image is manipulated then it should be clearly stated. Street gets wider latitude for creative processing, color/bw, and dodge/burn. Still, I don't think I'd like someone passing off a highly manipulated "false" image in the street forum as reality. I don't think anyone here has done that. I have a deep respect for everyone in this forum. What we have here is pretty special.

Javier. I think the SOOC shot on the first image is quite good. The second one seems very strong straight up as well. That is just my opinion, of course, but I really like them.
Old Apr-27-2012, 09:56 AM
bdcolen is offline bdcolen
CaptureReality
Amen.
Just as a member of the group, I'd say an apology is definitely in order

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
Old Apr-27-2012, 10:15 AM
Major grins
Quote:
K. The reason I found it strange is that it looks like he is in some strong light yet there aren't strong shadows on the ground. Strong makeup?
I am thinking that the light is reflected light from a mirror type glass, from a building window I don't think it will necessarily cast a shadow depending on how it hits the subject.
Old Apr-27-2012, 10:23 AM
Mildly bemused
Quote:
Originally Posted by lensmole View Post
I am thinking that the light is reflected light from a mirror type glass, from a building window I don't think it will necessarily cast a shadow depending on how it hits the subject.
Yeah, could be something like that. Hot lights would do the same, depending on the height and angle, which made me think of a movie shoot.
Old Apr-27-2012, 10:28 AM
bdcolen is offline bdcolen
CaptureReality
Quote:
Yeah, could be something like that. Hot lights would do the same, depending on the angle, which made me think of a movie shoot.
I have an image with very similar, similarly weird lighting, of a group of young girls praying in front of a Family Planning clinic - The front of the building is all reflective glass, and the sun had just peaked over the tops of the buildings behind the girls, and it looked as though they were bathed in kleig lights, but it's shadowless.

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
Old Apr-27-2012, 10:37 AM
torags is offline torags
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier View Post
Rags....It is people like you, who drive people away from forums. What you did was accuse me of pasting the image together when I did nothing of the sort. It is not a cut out. Just to show your total ignorance and lack of respect for me and other, here are the out of the camera Jpegs of both pictures. They are full size so you can down load them and examine them. They have not been in any sort of photo editing tool, outside what Nikon provides internally. You just made yourself look foolishly. You should have asked me, instead of making a fool of your self.

http://s404.photobucket.com/albums/pp128/jgredline/?action=view&current=DSC_4041.jpg#!oZZ2QQcurrentZZ http%3A%2F%2Fs404.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fpp128 %2Fjgredline%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3DDSC_40 33.jpg

http://s404.photobucket.com/albums/pp128/jgredline/?action=view&current=DSC_4041.jpg#!oZZ1QQcurrentZZ http%3A%2F%2Fs404.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fpp128 %2Fjgredline%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3DDSC_40 41.jpg
I take your word for it and I apologize, it looked like they were Photoshopped

I thought this was a documentary photo forum.
Old Apr-27-2012, 10:38 AM
Mildly bemused
Right. It made me think of a shot Mike Penn posted a few years ago that was lit by the reflection from a passing fire truck.
Old Apr-27-2012, 10:40 AM
lizzard_nyc is offline lizzard_nyc
Zygote Grinner
Javier,
If I remember correctly when you first started posting I loved your shots and then one day you posted a "posed" type shot and I think I told you that posed don't belong in street :) I've since revised my opinion.

This post and the comments reminds me of that.

Anyway, I very very much enjoyed this post and I like that you included the original because you did some wonderful work in PP to really make the black and white stand out.

I thought NYC was freaky.
Old Apr-27-2012, 10:41 AM
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanS View Post
We all should be very careful about accusing anyone of image manipulation. While many post street, there are a few of us here that do street and PJ work. Being accused of image manipulation at all, even for "art," could end a career. It is a highly sensitive subject in the industry right now. This recently came up at a local PJ meeting. A fellow PJ had been suspended for burning in some hot spots on a published image. We all felt that there was probably more to the story, but it still left us with a desire to remain above reproach in this regard. If an image is manipulated then it should be clearly stated. Street gets wider latitude for creative processing, color/bw, and dodge/burn. Still, I don't think I'd like someone passing off a highly manipulated "false" image in the street forum as reality. I don't think anyone here has done that. I have a deep respect for everyone in this forum. What we have here is pretty special.

Javier. I think the SOOC shot on the first image is quite good. The second one seems very strong straight up as well. That is just my opinion, of course, but I really like them.
I have been guilty of rushing to judge and I think we all have this tendency from time to time .One basic principal that hits me, is to always get both sides of the story.
Page 1  of  2
1 2
Tell The World!