• Gear
  • Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Old Apr-22-2012, 12:39 PM
ChrisFL is offline ChrisFL OP
Big grins
Critique my site
Hey guys, well, like the site intro says, I'm a grad student. Some of my friends have been riding me for a while to get serious about my images. Selling my first print was kind of mind blowing. I don't have a need to make things more serious at the moment, too busy with school.

Oh, and if this is against the rules, I apologize, not trying to advertise, just get feedback.

http://olasanaflora.blogspot.com/
Old Apr-22-2012, 04:15 PM
kevingeary is offline kevingeary
Major grins
If you want to get serious, then get a serious website. Because what you have there screams amateur. Nothing free is going to serve you well. You're going to have to pay to get this done right.
Old Apr-22-2012, 05:05 PM
Big grins
Thanks Kevin. I appreciate the outside input. My brother is a website guy (professional), I may talk to him about pursuing it further.
Old Apr-23-2012, 03:04 AM
AceCo55 is offline AceCo55
Aussie Grinner
If I understand it correctly, what you have is a blog (apologise if I am mistaken).
I would expect to see galleries containing catagorised images / easy navigation controls to get my way around the galleries.
Maybe take a look at a bunch of photography websites by DGrin members. Take a note of the features that you like (and would include in your website) and features you are not comfortable with (to avoid).
Old Apr-23-2012, 03:27 AM
Glort is offline Glort
Major grins
Your Pics are very Nice but I don't understand the question or what you are looking for?

" have been riding me for a while to get serious about my images. ...
I don't have a need to make things more serious at the moment, .

Umm so what is it you are wanting to do, get serious or not?

If you are wanting to get serious, then you have a great asset in your brother.
If not, what the hell does it matter what your site looks like?

Not trying to be rude ( and sorry if I am) just trying to understand what you want and the help if any you are after?
Old Apr-23-2012, 04:40 AM
denisegoldberg is online now denisegoldberg
Major grins
You can improve the looks and organization of your site without moving away from a blog - at least until you decide what you want out of your site. Your post is not clear at all about that.

I keep my browser zoom at 100%. At that zoom level the text on your site looks pixelated - both your title and the actual posts.

By using the full width of the browser window for your posts you are forcing your viewer to scroll to the bottom of the page to see any more content. That is not a user-friendly design. You might want to consider a different layout.

You can use browser labels to categorize your posts.

Using a black background for your site and a black background for your flower photos doesn't work. It leaves unnatural straight lines at the edges of the image. It's normal for things in photos to be cut off, but to me it's not normal to have the background of the image blend with the background for the site.

Even on a decent sized monitor I had to scroll to see your portrait-oriented images. Forcing a user to scroll to see a single photo is not a good design. If you hadn't asked for a critique I would have left the site right away because of that.

--- Denise

Musings & ramblings at http://denisegoldberg.blogspot.com, quick posts in google+
Old Apr-23-2012, 10:26 AM
Big grins
Hi Guys and gals,

I basically wanted exactly what you're giving me. Look at the site and tell me what runs through your head. Thanks Denise, that was an awesome post, I really appreciate it.
Old Apr-23-2012, 12:03 PM
Big grins
I adjusted all of the image sizes.
Old Apr-23-2012, 12:52 PM
Big grins
Also made all the images available on the main page.
Old Apr-24-2012, 12:14 PM
Hikin' Mike is online now Hikin' Mike
Walkin' like a Penguin!
First off, congratulations on the upcoming Ph.D. My only issue is I have to scroll horizontally to view your whole site, using a 1024 x 768 monitor. Not everybody has a large monitor.
Tell The World!