• Gear
  • Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Shots Landscapes Grand Canyon Light

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr-20-2012, 03:23 PM
#1
dave6253 is offline dave6253 OP
Major grins
dave6253's Avatar
Grand Canyon Light
I re-processed a few from the Grand Canyon in 2011.



1.





2.





3.





4.
__________________
Old Apr-20-2012, 03:26 PM
#2
unique93 is offline unique93
Big grins
Great...
Old Apr-20-2012, 04:48 PM
#3
jamesl is offline jamesl
Major grins
Beautiful work. The lighting is just magic. I especially like the first shot. I think with the second one you brought a bit too much shadow detail in the bottom right corner out in your processing. Great set!
__________________
James Langford
Langford Photography
http://www.langfordphotography.com
james@langfordphotography.com
Old Apr-20-2012, 05:03 PM
#4
2day is offline 2day
Big grins
Breathtakingly stunning!
__________________
Lois Doubleday
www.imagingthat.com
Old Apr-20-2012, 10:22 PM
#5
squirl033 is offline squirl033
Major grins
squirl033's Avatar
the second one is amazing... almost doesn't look real!
__________________
~ Rocky
"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
Old Apr-20-2012, 10:27 PM
#6
Doug Solis is offline Doug Solis
Major grins
Doug Solis's Avatar
Beautiful series Dave. Love #2, the lighting is outstanding
Old Apr-21-2012, 03:42 AM
#7
Glenn5995 is offline Glenn5995
Beginner grinner
WOW! Fantastic photographs.
Old Apr-21-2012, 04:09 AM
#8
denisegoldberg is online now denisegoldberg
Major grins
denisegoldberg's Avatar
I love the second shot, totally awesome!

--- Denise
__________________
http://www.denisegoldberg.com ... http://denise.smugmug.com

Musings & ramblings at http://denisegoldberg.blogspot.com, quick posts in google+
Old Apr-21-2012, 05:46 AM
#9
LakeLady is offline LakeLady
Beginner grinner
We are on our way to the Canyon and these shots are inspiring.
Old Apr-21-2012, 06:01 AM
#10
kdog is online now kdog
artistically challenged
kdog's Avatar
Excellent series, Dave.
__________________
Moderator of Landscapes forum
Link to my Smugmug site
Old Apr-21-2012, 08:14 AM
#11
dave6253 is offline dave6253 OP
Major grins
dave6253's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by unique93 View Post
Great...
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl View Post
Beautiful work. The lighting is just magic. I especially like the first shot. I think with the second one you brought a bit too much shadow detail in the bottom right corner out in your processing. Great set!
Thanks James. I love your storm photos. Now you got me thinking I should go back to the original version of #2. I see what you mean and agree I may have gone a little to far there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2day View Post
Breathtakingly stunning!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirl033 View Post
the second one is amazing... almost doesn't look real!
Thanks! Maybe for the reason James pointed out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Solis View Post
Beautiful series Dave. Love #2, the lighting is outstanding
Thanks Doug. I've made many trips to the GC, and this was the best light I've seen there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn5995 View Post
WOW! Fantastic photographs.
Thanks Buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisegoldberg View Post
I love the second shot, totally awesome!

--- Denise
Thanks! Sounds like 2 is the consensus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeLady View Post
We are on our way to the Canyon and these shots are inspiring.
Thanks LakeLady! I'll wish for you to have great light!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Excellent series, Dave.
Thanks kdog!
__________________
Old Apr-21-2012, 08:27 AM
#12
dave6253 is offline dave6253 OP
Major grins
dave6253's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl View Post
Beautiful work. The lighting is just magic. I especially like the first shot. I think with the second one you brought a bit too much shadow detail in the bottom right corner out in your processing. Great set!

Is this a little better?

2B.
__________________
Old May-18-2012, 09:19 PM
#13
bham is offline bham
Major grins
Dave I will be driving across the country and stopping at the Grand Canyon. Any suggestions on locations for morning and or evening locations to shoot from.
__________________
"A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
Old May-19-2012, 07:08 AM
#14
black mamba is offline black mamba
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
Is this a little better?

2B.
Simply stunning. One of the best I've ever seen of the GC.

Tom
__________________
One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.
Old May-19-2012, 09:02 AM
#15
rwells is offline rwells
Let the shootin' begin...
rwells's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by black mamba View Post
Simply stunning. One of the best I've ever seen of the GC.

Tom
Totally agree with Tom... Stunning image!
__________________
Randy
Old May-19-2012, 12:20 PM
#16
Fishead is offline Fishead
Major grins
# 2 is QUITE the keeper!
__________________
allen sklar
www.allensklar.smugmug.com
Old May-19-2012, 03:05 PM
#17
LightMagic is offline LightMagic
Major grins
LightMagic's Avatar
Beautiful set. The second one gets my vote as the best too ...
Old May-19-2012, 10:11 PM
#18
dave6253 is offline dave6253 OP
Major grins
dave6253's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bham View Post
Dave I will be driving across the country and stopping at the Grand Canyon. Any suggestions on locations for morning and or evening locations to shoot from.
Hey, Thanks for the new comments. I appreciate the encouragement.

bham,
I may need more info to fully answer, but I can assume, since you are driving across the country, you will be stopping along the South Rim. I have more experience traveling to the North Rim, though. If you have the time, I would recommend the North Rim. There are far less people and better views IMO. My favorite point accessible by paved road is Cape Royal/Angel's Window views at sunset, which is where these photos were taken. I recently had good luck at Desert View shooting into the sunset and using HDR. Desert View is on the east end of the South Rim Drive. If your vehicle can travel off road try making it out to Point Sublime (lives up to the name) or Toroweap (my favorite view in all of AZ). Both are on the north side.

Maybe others with experience at the GC can chime in? Or you could pose the question in the Location, Location, Location! section. I'd be glad to help with more specific questions.

This is from Desert View just after sunset.
__________________
Old May-19-2012, 10:25 PM
#19
2mo is offline 2mo
Big grins
Beautiful. I have never been, but now I want to go. Perfect exposures. I dont think my camera take pics like that-must have bought the wrong camera----seriously stunning work
__________________
J. Tuminello
Tuminello Photography
Old May-22-2012, 08:11 AM
#20
bham is offline bham
Major grins
Thanks. I do have on my list a few spots on the north rim to stop at, and Cape Royal is one of them. I also had Desert View on the list of spots on the South Rim. I won't be in an off road vehicle, otherwise I would love to go to Point Sublime, your photos of your trip there, the drive itself looks pretty interesting and photo worthy. Would you think it likely that I might could catch a ride with someone else headed out that way, or is the number of people traveling that route so small, its very unlikely?

I did start a thread, here is a link. Thank you so much for the info already, you have some really beautiful work.

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=220926

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
Hey, Thanks for the new comments. I appreciate the encouragement.

bham,
I may need more info to fully answer, but I can assume, since you are driving across the country, you will be stopping along the South Rim. I have more experience traveling to the North Rim, though. If you have the time, I would recommend the North Rim. There are far less people and better views IMO. My favorite point accessible by paved road is Cape Royal/Angel's Window views at sunset, which is where these photos were taken. I recently had good luck at Desert View shooting into the sunset and using HDR. Desert View is on the east end of the South Rim Drive. If your vehicle can travel off road try making it out to Point Sublime (lives up to the name) or Toroweap (my favorite view in all of AZ). Both are on the north side.

Maybe others with experience at the GC can chime in? Or you could pose the question in the Location, Location, Location! section. I'd be glad to help with more specific questions.

This is from Desert View just after sunset.
__________________
"A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
Tell The World!  
Similar Threads Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Off/on Camera flash for weddings kyeezie Weddings 43 Nov-03-2010 01:14 AM
Blinded By The Light Art Scott Wildlife 7 May-14-2007 02:10 AM
Help me with these definitions wxwax Technique 37 May-02-2006 06:55 AM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump