• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Shots Landscapes Death Valley National Park

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Old Apr-01-2012, 02:47 PM
xelanil is offline xelanil OP
Colorblind Grins
Death Valley National Park
I went camping in Death Valley over spring break for 4 days for a National Park film about young college folks like me enjoying nature. These pictures are posted in no particular order in terms of date.

1. This was at Dante's Point, quite an amazing place.

2. Hotdog plants at Darwin Falls, I didn't really like scrambling around this particular area because it didn't feel really safe.

3. A closer view of Dante's Point

4. Zabriskie Point at sunset

5. Zabriskie Point at sunset from another place

6. The Devil's Golf Course, the terrain pretty much looks like this throughout and is completely salt.

7. A close up of the salt crystals at the Devil's Golf Course

8. The other side of Dante's Point, there's a lot more vegetation on this side due to the geology.

9. A pile of dirt, these things can be seen all around the valley in the mountains. They are formed over short periods of time from rare storms that cause all of the dirt to come pouring down because they have no vegetation to hold them down.

10. A view along the side of Ubehebe Crater. It's much bigger and far more fantastic in person, no picture can do this place justice.

11. Badwater Basin Salt Flats in the morning

12. Sand Dunes at sunset

13. I'm not sure what make these tracks in the sand but I'm guessing perhaps a snake.

14. Rocks close up, not entirely sure where I took this though. It's either on the hills around my campsite or at Dante's Point.

15. This was on a hill around my campsite.

16. Artist's Pallete at sunset.

17. Zabriskie Point Panorama

18. Badwater Basin Panorama

19. Sand Dune Panorama

20. Ubehebe Crater Panorama

21. Badwater Basin Panorama
Old Apr-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Sand is offline Sand
Big grins
In photo 13, the tracks look like the trail of a sidewinder. interesting that there would be three of these trails so close together.
Old Apr-03-2012, 06:02 PM
kdog is offline kdog
artistically challenged
Great collections of shots. Looks like you had a great trip.
Old Apr-17-2012, 10:37 PM
dogwood is offline dogwood
pixel hack
Really cool series. Thanks for sharing.

Old Apr-18-2012, 07:10 PM
DavidTO is offline DavidTO
Mod Emeritus
Such an awesome place to visit. You've got some nice shots in there. I love the snake tracks, but wish it popped a bit more. It's a little dark. I also love the sand dune pano. Again, I'd like to see more detail and pop in the shadows. And I think the Zabriskie point pano could be something really special with some more post processing love. Good work!
Old Apr-18-2012, 10:23 PM
wfeller is offline wfeller
-
Nice shots. Thorough trip. A better term for the "pile of dirt" may be alluvial fan. Several together form a bajada (bah-hah-da).

http://digital-desert.com/mojave-pre...eology/10.html
Old Apr-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Colorblind Grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTO View Post
Such an awesome place to visit. You've got some nice shots in there. I love the snake tracks, but wish it popped a bit more. It's a little dark. I also love the sand dune pano. Again, I'd like to see more detail and pop in the shadows. And I think the Zabriskie point pano could be something really special with some more post processing love. Good work!
Well this is where being colorblind gives me a bit more trouble than most folks, what looks nice to me doesn't always look the same to the general majority. So given that, are there any particular colors that you think could use more boosting?

Yes alluvial fan is the correct term that I should have remembered but couldn't, thank you for reminding me.
Old Apr-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Mod Emeritus
Well, I was using "color" as a very broad term. I mean more that I believe the photos could be improved with some regional curves adjustments. Isolate areas in the shot that would benefit from a particular curve and then paint it in using a layer mask. Is this a process you're familiar with? Some are, some aren't.
Old Apr-25-2012, 02:24 PM
Colorblind Grins
I ran it through redynamix.

Old Apr-25-2012, 03:26 PM
Mod Emeritus
Quote:
Originally Posted by xelanil View Post
I ran it through redynamix.
A lot of people would LOVE that.

I find it a bit over the top, not natural enough for my taste. But it is a taste thing, for sure. What do YOU think?
Old Apr-25-2012, 10:28 PM
Colorblind Grins
From my perspective, the clouds are a bit overblown and unrealistic, however the landscape is fairly accurate to what it actually looked like when I was there according to my memory.
Tell The World!