• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Shots People OK Bokeh Fans

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Old Apr-17-2012, 08:04 AM
Bilsen is offline Bilsen OP
Not Like -- the Others
OK Bokeh Fans (Now with Sample Images)
Just for Zoomer and Hack (and Diva and Bryce too) I just added a lens to the arsenal.

Sure, it's a used Tamron 28-75 f2.8 because I simply cannot afford the Canon 24-70 f2.8 (even used) and I already have the FL covered with my beloved 24-105 f4 BUT I'm hoping the f2.8 will let me bring some compromise to our continual battle of the backgrounds.

First shoot with it will be Thursday so let's see what it does. I've never used a non-Canon lens so if anyone knows of anything different I should watch for, please let me know.
Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen

Last edited by Bilsen; Apr-18-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old Apr-17-2012, 09:49 AM
jeffreaux2 is offline jeffreaux2
Grinning...and bearing it
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt_ny View Post
Just for Zoomer and Hack (and Diva and Bryce too) I just added a lens to the arsenal.

Sure, it's a used Tamron 28-75 f2.8 because I simply cannot afford the Canon 24-70 f2.8 (even used) and I already have the FL covered with my beloved 24-105 f4 BUT I'm hoping the f2.8 will let me bring some compromise to our continual battle of the backgrounds.

First shoot with it will be Thursday so let's see what it does. I've never used a non-Canon lens so if anyone knows of anything different I should watch for, please let me know.
I had that lens back in the day.

Did you get it new? (5 year warranty?)

Mine was a tad soft(this is common on crop bodies with that lens) and I called their customer service and sent it in to be calibrated to my body (a rebel XTi at the time).

It was good as gold after the tune up. I sold it later to a close friend who still uses it. It just wasn't wide enough for event shooting. (wedding receptions etc.)

It was a slow focuser. Not good for sports, but fine for portrait work. It was also apt to miss focus at long distances...and so had to be stopped down a bit(before the calibtration).

F5 37mm

F3.2 33mm

F2.8 31mm

Settings Unknown
Old Apr-17-2012, 10:24 AM
Not Like -- the Others
Hi Jeff,

Nope. Bought it used for $300.00. I figured even if it's horrible or I don't like it, that's not a huge loss the way the Canon or even the Sigma would be.

If it does come back soft, did you send it to Canon or Tamron? Did you have to ship the camera with it?
Old Apr-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt_ny View Post
Hi Jeff,

Nope. Bought it used for $300.00. I figured even if it's horrible or I don't like it, that's not a huge loss the way the Canon or even the Sigma would be.

If it does come back soft, did you send it to Canon or Tamron? Did you have to ship the camera with it?

It was sent to Tamron without the camera. They tightened the zoom action as well.

It wont be a loss.

If I had never bought the 17-55 F2.8IS I would have kept mine.
Old Apr-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Hackbone is offline Hackbone
Always learning
Back long ago some use to say that a brand other than the camera brands were a stop slower than advertised. That could be easily checked. Cant' wait to see the new stuff.
Old Apr-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Not Like -- the Others
Interesting Hack.

Honestly, since I shoot outdoors I don't care overmuch about the extra stop for lighting purposes. The IS on my 24-105 can get me the same shutter speed. I bought the 2.8 srticly to see if I can get better bokeh when I want it so I don't have to listen to you guys all the time.

I will tell you right now though that the jet is going to be sharp in a lot of what we do on Sunday.
Old Apr-17-2012, 11:37 AM
Always learning
Hey, Topaz has a program that will give you bokeh and its cheap!!
Old Apr-17-2012, 11:50 AM
Always learning
http://www.topazlabs.com/lenseffects/ this is it.
Old Apr-17-2012, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackbone View Post
Back long ago some use to say that a brand other than the camera brands were a stop slower than advertised. That could be easily checked. Cant' wait to see the new stuff.

Nah.

At least not true for the Tamron I owned.

I shot a few weddings with two cameras where I mounted an 85 F1.8 Canon on one and the Tamron 28-75 F2.8 on the other. Both cameras in manual at same settings.
Old Apr-17-2012, 12:12 PM
watchmen is offline watchmen
Big grins
I've had that lens for a couple months and I absolutely love it. I must have gotten a good copy because it's sharp. I rarely take it off my camera. It does want to hunt focus when there isn't a lot of light though.

Old Apr-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Not Like -- the Others
Quick test of the new lens on a 600D. SOOC the images are a bit softer than my "L"s (no shock there) but with a bit of lens correction and USM in PP I'm not unhappy with them. I do need to get used to the DOF on this thing though cause it's all over the place.

This is one of our current livestock. We call her Luna, short for her Indian name, Lu-Naaa-Tik.

Shot in Av model at f2.8 out at 75mm

Last edited by Bilsen; Apr-18-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Tell The World!