• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Shots People Theme "Presences"

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Old Apr-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Antonio Correia is offline Antonio Correia OP
Always learning
Theme "Presences"
At the end of last year I planned a larger theme which I called "Presences".
This theme - a long running one spaning for about year - is about people who belongs to an Art Association from Setubal and their own work as artists.

I am planning to photograph each and every volunteer and at the end, I hope to be able to make an exhibition where I show, not only my own work but their own, with the publication of a book which will be able to be bought on line.

So far so good. Not very difficult as theme :)

What do you think about my first attempt ?

Old Apr-13-2012, 01:33 PM
RyanS is offline RyanS
Always Learning
Antonio,

This is a very nice portrait of a man wearing glasses. However, have you considered the artistic meaning of the image? With the idea of "presences" it suggests that a sense of place or presence in the "now" is important to the project. I don't feel a sense of place in this image. It is missing a sense of "now." Of occurring in this time in the "here." Emotional photography is by no means an easy thing to achieve. I applaud your effort in the area. I wish more of our peers took it as seriously. Much of your other work has such a strong sense of place and "now." It is also touched with human emotion. Particularly your B&W portraits. I know you can do it.
Old Apr-13-2012, 01:55 PM
Always learning
Ryan thank you for your words.

I have to agree with you and give this theme a new and refreshing start with more commitment from the artist.

I promise to come back.

Old Apr-16-2012, 08:44 AM
Hackbone is offline Hackbone
Always learning
I agree with Ryan and the subject is not flattered with the pose. His right eye seems not to be able to focus on the same spot as his left. It is not flattering.
Old Apr-16-2012, 08:51 AM
Always learning
It is a problem he has to live with and which is not his fault.

Thank you for commenting :)

As said before, i'll be back ! :)