• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Shots The Dgrin Challenges DSS# 100 - C&C Please

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Old Apr-07-2012, 05:27 PM
PedalGirl is offline PedalGirl OP
Major grins
DSS# 100 - C&C Please
Getting a start on the new challenge... is this working?

Last edited by PedalGirl; Apr-07-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old Apr-07-2012, 07:57 PM
lkbart is offline lkbart
Wandering in left field~
To me, they all look very vintage - similar in composition, exposure & "aging" to some very old shots of a schoolhouse & hatchery I remember, so I think any one of them fits the theme nicely. My fav is #2 - really takes me back to those photos I remember seeing. Seems just a touch over saturated in the sky, but not too much - I do like the golden color there, just maybe back it off a scootch (& don't ask me what a scootch is, but it sounded good)! I really do like #2 - sweet!
Old Apr-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Major grins
I've always loved this old church... here it is with the saturation taken down a scootch....

2a.

And a bit more aging...

2b.
Old Apr-07-2012, 10:42 PM
lkbart is offline lkbart
Wandering in left field~
I really like 2a - just right! It is a cool church - & with the trees framing it, really sweet.
Old Apr-07-2012, 11:45 PM
Memol is offline Memol
Major grins
I like number two. I like the processing and its composition. Yesterday I was searching on the internet for the old places in OC, and I saw this church. I was trying to convince my husband to go there for this challenge, but we ended up in beach. Good that we did not go there too :) I have to find something else.
Old Apr-08-2012, 03:42 AM
richtersl is offline richtersl
Major grins
2a. It's a nice composition and it has just the right amount of aging.

http://lrichters.smugmug.com
Old Apr-08-2012, 11:10 AM
Major grins
Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memol View Post
I like number two. I like the processing and its composition. Yesterday I was searching on the internet for the old places in OC, and I saw this church. I was trying to convince my husband to go there for this challenge, but we ended up in beach. Good that we did not go there too :) I have to find something else.
I've always loved this old church... something about it just speaks to me. Maybe it's because it's hidden and abandoned and you have to take pictures of it through a chain link fence? I don't know what will become of this church... but I hope that one day it will be restored and used.
Old Apr-08-2012, 06:37 PM
ghinson is offline ghinson
pǝuɹnʇdn
I'll ditto the 2a.
Old Apr-09-2012, 05:58 AM
travelways is offline travelways
Candid Grinner
#2, or #2a for me are both very good and nice

Observing the world around is my hobby :)
Old Apr-09-2012, 09:56 AM
dnie is offline dnie
Major grins
all of the#2's are good, I think I am leaning toward 2a. I like the hue and brightness of that one best.

My SmugMug
Old Apr-15-2012, 08:29 PM
billseye is offline billseye
Major grins
First off, I really like the processing of #3. I'd love to see one of the "2s" processed similarly. To my eyes, on my monitor, all the 2's have too much yellow. If the steeple in #2 wasn't obscured so much by the trees, it would be my hands-down pick of your choices.

So, as a former OC boy (San Clemente) I'm wondering where this church is.... do tell.

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
Old Apr-15-2012, 10:40 PM
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by billseye View Post
First off, I really like the processing of #3. I'd love to see one of the "2s" processed similarly. To my eyes, on my monitor, all the 2's have too much yellow. If the steeple in #2 wasn't obscured so much by the trees, it would be my hands-down pick of your choices.

So, as a former OC boy (San Clemente) I'm wondering where this church is.... do tell.
This was the base chapel on the old MCAS Tustin. It's still pretty hidden behind chain link fence with that green tarp through it on the street side. The front and back has just the chain link so that's how I got these shots... with my camera lens right up against the fence. I'd give my left arm for an hour inside for photos. Wish I could have gotten a clearer shot from the front ... at least one where the steeple isn't obstructed by the trees.