• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Shots The Dgrin Challenges 100 years--unable to enter this shot

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

They're back! Our latest series of Dgrin Challenges, the OOYCZ Challenges (Out of Your Comfort Zone), is a series of challenges to help you improve your photography by stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something new. Our challenge leader says "Consider it like a photography class with no diplomas.". Get started with OOYCZ by reading the Challenge Guide.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Page 1  of  2
1 2
Old Apr-12-2012, 06:23 PM
lizzard_nyc is offline lizzard_nyc OP
Zygote Grinner
100 years--unable to enter this shot
Hi all,
Please indulge me. I think I nailed this shot today, for the theme, I just can't use it because it's a polaroid and no way to verify when it was taken.

Still wanted to share. SOOC.
Old Apr-13-2012, 08:10 PM
Zygote Grinner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Nelson View Post
and what's stopping you from going out and doing it all again with the right camera?

This was a freak accident of a shot, but you are right, I should try it again.
Central park was unusually not crowded, I hope I luck into that again.

Don't know why it didn't occur to me:)
Old Apr-14-2012, 09:37 PM
Demian is offline Demian
Major grins
I don't understand why they have that rule, as it's extraordinarily easy to fake exif info :/ It's a great shot too.

I love polaroid, BTW :) I have a couple cameras, but my fav right now is the 600 with impossible film. What do you use?
Old Apr-15-2012, 07:48 PM
billseye is offline billseye
Major grins

Very cool!

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
Old Apr-16-2012, 05:35 AM
Zygote Grinner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demian View Post
I don't understand why they have that rule, as it's extraordinarily easy to fake exif info :/ It's a great shot too.

I love polaroid, BTW :) I have a couple cameras, but my fav right now is the 600 with impossible film. What do you use?
Hey there Demian,
Not too many polaroid shots here yet, but little by little I am sneaking them in :) (Not the challenges, but in the other subforums)

I use both a 600 series polaroid also w/ impossible film. Currently loving the black frame black and whites and the px70 colorshade.

This one I shot w/ the my land camera the Polaroid 195. I'm out of Polaroid/impossible repackaged film and IP is down its last remains of the film and they have no plans on making any more for that camera, thankfully Fuji does still manufactures the fuji peel apart film and that's what I used here, the Fuji FP100B (it's a little finicky and the tabs tend to tear easily), I'm now on their FB3000! for low light shots.

Thanks for commenting.
Old Apr-16-2012, 05:35 AM
Zygote Grinner
Quote:
Originally Posted by billseye View Post

Very cool!
Thanks Bill, not bad for wrong exposure and speed setting .
Old Apr-17-2012, 10:33 AM
Demian is offline Demian
Major grins
The fuji peel-apart stuff is cool (I love the negatives) but I think I prefer the unpredictable aberrations from the impossible film :) And I haven't tried the px70 stuff yet... I assume you're using that with your 600 body?

I really wanna get a SX-70 next
Old Apr-17-2012, 11:01 AM
Sam is online now Sam
San Jose CA
since there is no way to verify when a digital image was taken, why not take someones word for a Polaroid?

Sam
Old Apr-17-2012, 11:08 AM
JAG is online now JAG
Photomaniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
since there is no way to verify when a digital image was taken, why not take someones word for a Polaroid?

Sam
This was discussed years ago... the final was that this forum is a DIGITAL photography forum. Not film. Thus why it is called Digital Grin.
Old Apr-17-2012, 01:18 PM
Overfocused is offline Overfocused
Photo Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
This was discussed years ago... the final was that this forum is a DIGITAL photography forum. Not film. Thus why it is called Digital Grin.
Blah blah... semantics.. Lol. It all gets converted into 1's and 0's anyway.

Set up even lighting, hang a print up, and just take a photo of the damn print and call it a day. Theres your digital photo

I took a shortcut in film class once by taking photos of my own digital prints... prof didn't know the difference. Its not hard to do. lol.
Old Apr-17-2012, 06:26 PM
Sam is online now Sam
San Jose CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
I had no idea we have degenerated into digital snootery.

Sam
Old Apr-17-2012, 07:34 PM
Overfocused is offline Overfocused
Photo Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Nelson View Post
Dis'n JAG, dismission of ethics, and omission of character.... all in one post! Wow!
Yowza!

Eh I'm not dissing JAG, I'm dissing the, as Sam says, "digital snootery." As much as I hate using film I don't hate film scans or film users.

As for the rest... for that one time, yep! lol. It was an experiment since I genuinely hated the assignment with a passion, and I decided to see if it'd work.

Worked!
Old Apr-17-2012, 08:06 PM
JAG is online now JAG
Photomaniac
sheesh guys! The point to my comment was for the challenges. If you want to shoot film then go ahead and shoot film and show it off by scanning or whatever and show it on the forum as the OP did. For the challenges you are required a actual time digital EXIF to the original image to enter. Which means the photo has to be taken with a digital camera. The challenges are called DSS which means DIGITAL Sharp Shooters. They purposely named it that way so not to confuse those who would like to shoot film. I am sure there are plenty of other competitions out there that will be more than happy to take those types of shots. This was determined quite some time ago after much discussions from some pretty smart people. So to come in here and say that we are being snooty is just plan rude and is not in the spirit of what these challenges are about.

So, you asked the question, it got answered to the why and it will not be changing anytime soon. If you do not like it, then do not participate.
Old Apr-18-2012, 02:32 PM
SeascapeS is offline SeascapeS
SandiZ
Wow. I've been here for a long time and have never seen a Moderator have to keep defending the rules all the time. This is supposed to be fun. The Challenge is to create an entry, not to see who can challenge the Moderator to the point of utter frustration. This Forum has gone a very long time with no drama and it was a peaceful place. What happened?

As you have all probably noticed, I'm pretty quiet most of the time. I'm just a sit-back-and-observe-others type of person, but I've had enough of the complaining. I have not, ever, found any of the rules to be a problem in any way, shape or form. They are what they are - take them or leave them.

Sorry, Joyce.
Old Apr-18-2012, 02:35 PM
SeascapeS is offline SeascapeS
SandiZ
Sorry to Liz also!
Old Apr-18-2012, 02:42 PM
dnie is offline dnie
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeascapeS View Post
Wow. I've been here for a long time and have never seen a Moderator have to keep defending the rules all the time. This is supposed to be fun. The Challenge is to create an entry, not to see who can challenge the Moderator to the point of utter frustration. This Forum has gone a very long time with no drama and it was a peaceful place. What happened?

As you have all probably noticed, I'm pretty quiet most of the time. I'm just a sit-back-and-observe-others type of person, but I've had enough of the complaining. I have not, ever, found any of the rules to be a problem in any way, shape or form. They are what they are - take them or leave them.

Sorry, Joyce.

The rules are what they are and what they have been for a long time. Joyce shouldn't have to repeat them every single challenge and anyone not in agreement with them is not required to participate. She didn't make the rules, they have worked well for a long time.
Now lets get on to what we are here for, the fun of the challenge, sharing and learned from each other.

My SmugMug
Old Apr-18-2012, 03:03 PM
Sam is online now Sam
San Jose CA
I apologize for any perception of ruddiness, and voicing an opinion contrary to acceptable thought, and thank you for pointing out that some pretty smart people have already worked all this out for me.

Sam
Old Apr-18-2012, 03:35 PM
angevin1 is offline angevin1
Performs as designed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeascapeS View Post
What happened?
What happens is as you create more rules there is more resistance.

my 2
Old Apr-18-2012, 03:40 PM
angevin1 is offline angevin1
Performs as designed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post

Sam
Good point Sam! In fact, you could say the Polaroid is the ultimate in digital photography because it even has a printer inside!

No Offense OP or Mod!
Old Apr-18-2012, 04:30 PM
sherstone is offline sherstone
here
Let's get back on topic
Please let's get off the topic of rules or digital vs. analog in this thread.
The OP (Liz) just wanted to share the shot. I'm sure it was never her intention to question why she could not enter it.

If anyone still wishes to discuss rules or digital vs. analog please do so in the general discussion thread located here:
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=93414

Thank you.

Now back to your regularly scheduled "challenges"
Tell The World!