• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Shots Wildlife Frustrated

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Page 2  of  2
1 2
Old Sep-21-2011, 10:17 PM
PhotoGUY123 is offline PhotoGUY123
PhotoGUY123
I'm not a pro photographer, yet. Just an advanced amatuer (with 30 years experience with film and recently digital.) Another thought is using the self timer and then not touching any part of the camera or lens to lessen camera shake. Also, did the two companies who looked at the lens do any tests of the elements or did they just shoot a few frames and say the lens was okay? It may be slight misalignment of the elements somewhere to cause the softness (think Hubble and NASA---when it was fixed the photos were truly amazing).
Old Sep-22-2011, 01:16 AM
puzzledpaul is offline puzzledpaul
low down bum
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPhotography View Post
Here is the only way I know to check focus. My center point box was a perfect fit around the 24. Am I good?

You need a cropped image?

Well, to my eyes, it looks like 22 is more blurred / oof than 26 - which, if so, could indicate that its main focus point is above 24?

If going to repeat this, do you have something with higher contrast detail?

I've used a slightly different approach when doing this sort of thing.
Cam/lens on tripod, mlu, cable release.
Subject being something (normal) with a high contrast feature

I then start at one extreme of MA ... say -20, take 5 frames, re-acquiring focus with AF between each shot, de-focussing after each 'test' shot by placing hand in front of lens (not touching) and half pressing release - remove hand, re-acquire focus.

Repeat for -10/0/+10/+20 ... make notes of frame Nos for each set (or whatever narrower initial range you think appropriate)

Review (I use DPP) - pick sharpest of each 5 frame set, evaluate/compare these 5 ('best of set') frames against each other.

Use results to repeat test over a narrower range.

Don't think anyone's mentioned LIve View.

I'd also consider taking some test shots (using all usual long lens techniques mentioned above) at the relevant iso/aperture using manual focus.

This'll take the AF out of the equation ... because if you don't /can't get sharp pics at any aperture / shutter speed / iso using LV + MF ... then you'll not get them any other way :)

pp
Old Sep-22-2011, 06:31 AM
JSPhotography is offline JSPhotography OP
Major grins
Thanks for all the input. I think I'm going with an ISO/Aperture/under exposure combination as being the problem. I shot grandkids soccer last night with the same set up and results were pretty good. I don't think it is an equipment issue. This lens really seems to be a love/hate relationship. I'll make the drive back up north and see what I can do this weekend. Weather forecast looks like rain. I can gear up to keep things dry, I'm going with the glass half full thoughts that the even light and dripping chins/antlers will yeild some unique stuff.
Old Oct-12-2011, 07:13 PM
Major grins
Wel,l my follow up trip was a bust. Here are the best from te original group.

Old Oct-13-2011, 10:49 PM
Netgarden is offline Netgarden
Beachbum Linda
No.s 3& 4 are nicely done, JS. Don't be too hard on yourself. My 7D experience was also this, a classic problem, with low light, high ISO and moving subjects. I found my sharpness dropped, and with mixed backgrounds, the sharpening had to be handled with a brush tool on the animal, or you'd get noisy weed artifacts. That weedy dry grass is always not a pretty background! ;) Add to that a lens that might need manual focusing or microfocusing, it becomes a not so pleasant session. The last photos look great, a reminder that we learn more from bad days than good ones! ;)

I know your disappointments though. I recently got the MKIV, and a bad day last week really rattled me, thinking of how much money I spent and how it seemed difficult at the moment. After years of MKIII beautys. But soon I realized I needed to get to know the camera all over again, and got back in the groove. I also spent some time on my Sigma 150-500, and ended up with a +7 microadjustment. Still not anything as good as my big primes, but it's not heavy, and I really like the colors and performance of the lens. Just wish it was sharper! The adjustment did help.
Old Oct-14-2011, 11:59 AM
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netgarden View Post
No.s 3& 4 are nicely done, JS. Don't be too hard on yourself. My 7D experience was also this, a classic problem, with low light, high ISO and moving subjects. I found my sharpness dropped, and with mixed backgrounds, the sharpening had to be handled with a brush tool on the animal, or you'd get noisy weed artifacts. That weedy dry grass is always not a pretty background! ;) Add to that a lens that might need manual focusing or microfocusing, it becomes a not so pleasant session. The last photos look great, a reminder that we learn more from bad days than good ones! ;)

I know your disappointments though. I recently got the MKIV, and a bad day last week really rattled me, thinking of how much money I spent and how it seemed difficult at the moment. After years of MKIII beautys. But soon I realized I needed to get to know the camera all over again, and got back in the groove. I also spent some time on my Sigma 150-500, and ended up with a +7 microadjustment. Still not anything as good as my big primes, but it's not heavy, and I really like the colors and performance of the lens. Just wish it was sharper! The adjustment did help.
Thanks for the input.
Old Apr-14-2012, 05:04 PM
Major grins
It was my 7D. Canon just replaced the autofocus mechanism and software. First tests look really good. I can't believe how much I have struggled the last year and a half. Maybe I'm not as bad a photographer as I have been feeling!!
Old Apr-14-2012, 06:04 PM
Dick on Aruba is offline Dick on Aruba
My name is Dick. So what?
ISO 1600 can "soften" your image. Maybe F5.6 if not the best setting @ 400mm for this setup. Try F8.

All that said: The most of the time I find myself disappointed when PP the capture I was exited about, while the other "casual" shot let my heart run faster.
Although "soft", it's a great capture and surely a keeper. You just experienced the most common photographers syndrome called: "shit happens"

SmugMug account.
Website.
Page 2  of  2
1 2
Tell The World!