• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Support Legacy SmugMug Customization settings while logged in/out

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Old Apr-14-2012, 01:37 PM
dondada is offline dondada OP
Big grins
settings while logged in/out
i've customized all of my galleries so that they display a certain way with the following CSS code:

/*******move pages up to utilize space add pages that don't require this*******/
.galleryPage {margin-top: -30px;}
/*******below galleries set to normal default setting*******/
.gallery_22375611 {margin-top: 0px;}
/*******below are portfolio galleries set to not show any*******/
.gallery_22372997 {margin-top: -60px;}
.gallery_22402797 {margin-top: -60px;}
.gallery_22374826 {margin-top: -60px;}

how do i prevent the galleries from displaying this way when i'm logged in?

thanks
Old Apr-14-2012, 01:49 PM
jfriend is offline jfriend
Scripting dude-volunteer
Just so you know, using negative margins is generally a bad thing. It's much, much better to shrink the thing above that is causing the extra space than to use a negative margin to try to force an overlap. I've also seen negative margins behave differently in different browsers.

In answer to your question, you can add .notLoggedIn in front of those rules like this:

.notLoggedIn .galleryPage {margin-top: -30px;}
Always include a link to your site when posting a question
Old Apr-14-2012, 01:51 PM
Big grins
thanks for the tip jfriend. i understand what you mean. i did try to test on multiple browsers and it seems to look the way i want.

do you have a recommendation on how to shrink the top space instead of use a negative margin?
Old Apr-14-2012, 01:56 PM
Scripting dude-volunteer
Quote:
Originally Posted by dondada View Post
thanks for the tip jfriend. i understand what you mean. i did try to test on multiple browsers and it seems to look the way i want.

do you have a recommendation on how to shrink the top space instead of use a negative margin?
If you post a link to a specific page and describe what space you're trying to tighten up on that page, I'm sure we can find a better way to do it.
Old Apr-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Big grins
i didn't get to seem to get the code you gave me to work the way i want. let me try to explain what it is i'm doing

the reason i'm using the following lines:

(this line moves all my galleries up, so that all anyone not logged in only see's "page x of x next.................1 of xxx...." then at the end of the line, i put the slideshow button with some other script. without it, there is an empty black bar that's about 30px above)

/*******move pages up to utilize space add pages that don't require this*******/

(this next line is to exclude my contact page that connects to a wufoo form which doesn't require the page to be moved up)

(the next set of galleries are my portfolios which are linked on my navbar on my public page. i want them moved up even more so that the gallery images reach the top of the page. this even excludes the page x of x.... and slide show button, which i'm ok with. as of now, i don't expect these galleries to have more than 12 photos or so)

so i'm really trying to go for a clean look. the reason i want my other galleries to display the page and slideshow button is for clients who can log on.

the problem this was all causing was when i logged in, i couldn't see the smugmug bar to remove photos from the 3 portfolio galleries.

let me know what my options are. thanks
Old Apr-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Scripting dude-volunteer
Quote:
Originally Posted by dondada View Post
i didn't get to seem to get the code you gave me to work the way i want. let me try to explain what it is i'm doing

the reason i'm using the following lines:

(this line moves all my galleries up, so that all anyone not logged in only see's "page x of x next.................1 of xxx...." then at the end of the line, i put the slideshow button with some other script. without it, there is an empty black bar that's about 30px above)

(this next line is to exclude my contact page that connects to a wufoo form which doesn't require the page to be moved up)

(the next set of galleries are my portfolios which are linked on my navbar on my public page. i want them moved up even more so that the gallery images reach the top of the page. this even excludes the page x of x.... and slide show button, which i'm ok with. as of now, i don't expect these galleries to have more than 12 photos or so)

so i'm really trying to go for a clean look. the reason i want my other galleries to display the page and slideshow button is for clients who can log on.

the problem this was all causing was when i logged in, i couldn't see the smugmug bar to remove photos from the 3 portfolio galleries.

let me know what my options are. thanks
To get rid of the black bar above the page navigation when you are not logged in, add this and remove your negative margins:

.notLoggedIn .galleryPage #breadcrumb {display: none;}

In most of the galleries I looked at in Chrome, I could see NO page navigation, no slideshow button, no photo numbers at all. If that's what you want, then use this type of CSS instead of the negative margins:

.gallery_22402797 .albumNav {display: none;}

I hope you can understand that it's better to hide or resize things you don't want to see rather than force other things to try to cover them. This technique is also less likely to cover things you want to see when logged in.
Old Apr-14-2012, 02:34 PM
Big grins
thanks john. everything works the way i want it to.

i completely agree with what you're saying. i just didn't know how to go about doing it. i'm just grabbing suggestions and bits & pieces of code i see in other threads to put my site together.

thx again