• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Photo Craft Finishing School Colour Temp, match colours, skin

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Old Apr-14-2012, 12:18 AM
Bend The Light is offline Bend The Light OP
Bend The Light
Colour Temp, match colours, skin
Hi all,

I did a shoot in my little studio last night. The model is not actually a model, and it wasn't a paid shoot, just a learning shoot. :)

My question:

I have issues with making consistent colours, temperature, etc across a group of images. I should have set custom WB in the studio to help, but i didn't ().

So how would I get these two images looking consistent using CS5? make the first match the second, basically, as i am happy with the second. I just don't know the best tool to use, or if it is possible to do effectively. I am colour blind, which doesn't help...I can match colours to some extent, but would probably miss a colour cast or something if it wasn't so obvious.

Next time I WILL remember Custom WB!!

Hannah v2 colour temp by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

Hannah v1 by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr
Old Apr-14-2012, 01:25 AM
Bend The Light
Is this more like it?

Hannah v2 by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr
Old Apr-14-2012, 01:28 AM
Richard is offline Richard
Mildly bemused
Are you shooting raw? If so, you can just copy the tint and temp from 2 to 1 in ACR. If you have many images, use the ACR synchronize function.
Old Apr-14-2012, 01:31 AM
Bend The Light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Are you shooting raw? If so, you can just copy the tint and temp from 2 to 1 in ACR. If you have many images, use the ACR synchronize function.
Yes. I did that with the reworked one above. I put the new RAW file in ACR with the completed JPG from the previous one...then synchronised. The second image looked a little bland, so did a little in PS to sort it. not sure I've matched it all, though.

I suppose I need to do global adjustments like that in ACR at the start...
Old Apr-14-2012, 01:44 AM
Richard is offline Richard
Mildly bemused
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend The Light View Post
Is this more like it?
The rework is better, but it still looks redder than the one you like. If you are color blind, measurement is probably a good idea. The Dan Margulis guideline is that for Caucasians the A and B channels should both be positive and B should be somewhat greater than A. Both #2 and #3 are showing A greater than B in most of the skin areas, but the difference is greater in #3 than #2, which corresponds to my subjective impression.
Old Apr-14-2012, 06:12 AM
basflt is online now basflt
Major grins
open both pics
-windows > arrange > tile
select the "wrong" one
-Image > adjustments > match color
-in source pane , select the other pic
- now , play along with the various settings

save statistics for use on multiple images in a series
Old Apr-14-2012, 07:18 AM
Bend The Light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by basflt View Post
open both pics
-windows > arrange > tile
select the "wrong" one
-Image > adjustments > match color
-in source pane , select the other pic
- now , play along with the various settings

save statistics for use on multiple images in a series
Yeah, I had another go at that...got a little better. I definitely need to be more consisten at the time of the shoot, though. Cheers
Old Apr-14-2012, 07:43 AM
Sam is offline Sam
San Jose CA
I might be missing something here but if your shooting with strobes the temp should be consistent. You can use a custom WB and / or take the first shot with a gray card in the frame and white balance off that in post.

Sam
Old Apr-14-2012, 08:05 AM
Bend The Light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
I might be missing something here but if your shooting with strobes the temp should be consistent. You can use a custom WB and / or take the first shot with a gray card in the frame and white balance off that in post.

Sam
Yes, that is what should be the case...but for somereason it isn't. Both shots above are taken in the same session, but with AWB in the camera, they came out different. I need to use Custom WB so the camera isn't adjusting all the time.
Old Apr-14-2012, 08:05 PM
pathfinder is offline pathfinder
Drive By Digital Shooter
Was her dress black?

Can you use the eye dropper on her dress for a true neutral, or was it a dark blue?

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
Old Apr-14-2012, 09:57 PM
Bend The Light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post

Sam
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinder View Post
Was her dress black?

Can you use the eye dropper on her dress for a true neutral, or was it a dark blue?
It was black. So, in curves, use the black dropper? Worth a try...

...I ahve managed to work things out using ACR, and think I am getting consostent now. But always good to know what can be done after that stage.

Cheers
Old Apr-14-2012, 10:55 PM
Bend The Light
I did some more processing, used the copy/paste settings in ACR and bridge to make them all the same to start with. Then tried to do the same processing with each in PS. Here are a few just to compare. I think they look quite close...what do you think?

Hannah v5 by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

Hannah v8 by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

Hannah v10 by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

Hannah v13 by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

Thanks
Tell The World!