• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Gear Flea Market Another bad paypal story

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

They're back! Our latest series of Dgrin Challenges, the OOYCZ Challenges (Out of Your Comfort Zone), is a series of challenges to help you improve your photography by stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something new. Our challenge leader says "Consider it like a photography class with no diplomas.". Get started with OOYCZ by reading the Challenge Guide.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Page 2  of  2
1 2
Old Apr-07-2012, 12:12 PM
bloomphotog is offline bloomphotog
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Dwolla is awesome. But then again, I've not had one single issue with Paypal in 9 years. I also use and love Square and Google Checkout.
Ditch PayPal. I too use Google Checkout and Square. Perfect combo.
Old Apr-09-2012, 10:04 AM
Cowboydoug is offline Cowboydoug
Kidnapper
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomphotog View Post
Ditch PayPal. I too use Google Checkout and Square. Perfect combo.
I "gots me" a square but have only used it for actual in person swiping ... how does it work with over the phone or verbal CC taking? are the rates higher, is there a delay of payment?

Cowboydoug
Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
www.iWasThereToo.com
Old Apr-09-2012, 10:06 AM
bloomphotog is offline bloomphotog
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboydoug View Post
I "gots me" a square but have only used it for actual in person swiping ... how does it work with over the phone or verbal CC taking? are the rates higher, is there a delay of payment?
You just punch on the CC info and billing zip. No deposit delay. 3.5% fees.
Old May-25-2012, 03:22 PM
Vich is offline Vich
Big grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmason View Post
I have been happy with Amazon Payments. I won't use Paypal at all. I have sold here on DGrin via Amazon Payments. Essentially, you use your Amazon account, the same one you use to buy on Amazon, but instead of buying something on Amazon, you simply send money to another Amazon account. Credit cards work fine. The seller can cash out, getting a check from Amazon, or keeping a credit on Amazon for use buying something.

https://payments.amazon.com/sdui/sdui/personal/money

As far as I know there is no ability to dispute a payment, but there isn't anywhere else either, and IMHO, the dispute aspect of Paypal is the biggest area of abuse and trouble.

Oh and no cost to use it either.
Dispute capability is double edged. I've gotten some bad items on EBAY and was glad Paypal forced the seller to accept a return.

If buying via EBAY the buyer is protected very well; the seller not so much. There are many stories about a refund return being a brick in a box. For non-EBAY transactions; the protection is much weaker but it's still there.

Paypal is essentially an Escrow. Given the DOA return policy, a 21 day delay seems reasonable for larger transactions.

Personally; I buy enough online that I've never withdrawn anything from Paypal despite selling thousands in lenses and computers.

Thanks for all the helpful alternatives everyone!
Old May-26-2012, 01:13 PM
Pupator is offline Pupator OP
Major grins
Just as an update - I'm almost exclusively using Amazon payments now. No fees.
Old May-27-2012, 09:33 AM
photobug is offline photobug
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdizeez View Post
When I see an Ebay item I want I send the seller a message like this: Hi, I want to bid on your camera but want to know if you will accept a USPS money order as payment. I don't use Paypal anymore.
I would never, EVER accept a money order for payment from someone I don't know. (Did I say EVER?) Nothing personal about it -- it's just that there have been numerous scams using fake (but official-looking) USPS money orders.

I've used Paypal for about 10 years, but also have a Google Checkout account. Amazon always seems to be the "gold standard" so Amazon Payments might be a good one to consider. Andy touts Dwolla and I trust Andy, so that would also be a good one to look at.

Page 2  of  2
1 2
Tell The World!