• Gear
  • Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Gear Cameras 5D Mark III - First 24 Hours Review (post yours here!)

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Page 10  of  20
Old Apr-08-2012, 09:16 PM
dlplumer is offline dlplumer
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolai View Post
Wife got new lights for our backyard, I thought I'd take a long exposure, see how the noise is. Well, it ain't ;-)

5D3 + 16-35MkII, ISO 8000, f/11, 25"

Nice shot of Orion in the BG
Old Apr-09-2012, 03:53 AM
Andy is offline Andy
Bicameral
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Dark nasty day on the soccer field today. Thankfully, 5D3 and ISO 3200 to the rescue. Love the AF, love it. Did I say I love it?
IS3200

Old Apr-09-2012, 07:01 AM
Cuong is offline Cuong
SoCal grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomphotog View Post
I don't know...I think ALO could be the culprit here. The "light leak" fuss is over metering, not light hitting the actual sensor. The Av exposure should have been different between your two shots if the "light leak" was affecting metering. Identical exposures and a VERY minimal shift in the histogram points to a scene change or in-camera wizardry.

I think there may in fact be a "light leak" that affects metering in situations where a manual exposure is more appropriate(astrophotography, etc), but it definitely has no perceptible affect on normal, everyday professional use. I don't shoot lens caps, lens targets, or any such voodoo...after 4 professional shoots with the 5D3 I can say it has the best and most reliable Canon metering to date(particularly when used with high ALO and DPP).
The fuss might be a non-issue considering how we use our cameras. Some interesting test results from Canonrumors, but we still don't have a definite explanation of the cause.

Cuong
Old Apr-09-2012, 01:27 PM
pmaxwell is offline pmaxwell
Major grins
shot a College Lacrosse game on Friday night about two hours after receiving the camera. AF absolutely rocks.
It is FAR better than what my copy of the 7D was doing and I haven't even learned it yet.

This is going to be a fun process.

Pete
Old Apr-10-2012, 11:00 PM
bloomphotog is offline bloomphotog OP
Major grins
Took my 5D3 out on a ski touring trip today. Despite the crushing flaw of the "light leak" issue I managed to get some okay looking shots.

Lot's more photos here: http://smu.gs/Hz2WOl

All in-camera JPEG, S1. No post-production. Peek exif above.

Old Apr-11-2012, 03:40 AM
Brett1000 is offline Brett1000
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmaxwell View Post
shot a College Lacrosse game on Friday night about two hours after receiving the camera. AF absolutely rocks.
It is FAR better than what my copy of the 7D was doing and I haven't even learned it yet.

This is going to be a fun process.
the 5DmkIII AF is FAR better than the 7D ? that's surprising
Old Apr-11-2012, 04:33 AM
ziggy53 is offline ziggy53
Still learnin'still lovin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett1000 View Post
I'm seeing that basic premise of AF improvement over most previous Canon prosumer bodies. The 5D MKIII appears to be especially improved over previous 5D MKII and 7D in lower light. (The Canon 7D is still rated pretty good in good light. The 5D MKII is "conditionally" OK in good light, and it benefits greatly from a flash with AF Assist using One Shot mode in lower light, from my own testing.)

This is all very good news for 5D MKIII owners and prospects.

I'm still looking for a consensus from professional sports photographers, but it's pretty early in the life of the 5D MKIII.
Old Apr-11-2012, 07:44 AM
chrisdg is offline chrisdg
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomphotog View Post
Took my 5D3 out on a ski touring trip today. Despite the crushing flaw of the "light leak" issue I managed to get some okay looking shots.

Lot's more photos here: http://smu.gs/Hz2WOl

All in-camera JPEG, S1. No post-production. Peek exif above.

Maybe it's situational (reflections off the snow, and a +2/3 EV compensation), but I'm impressed that with such strong backlighting, their faces are well exposed, skies are blue, etc.

What lens? 16-35mm?
http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)
Old Apr-11-2012, 07:56 AM
Nikolai is offline Nikolai
Darth SLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett1000 View Post
Yes. 61 points + better CPU vs 9point + older CPU.
member: NAPP, PPA, partner: Adobe
Comprehending life, universe and everything - one pixel at a time
Old Apr-11-2012, 11:34 AM
jmphotocraft is offline jmphotocraft
GWC for hire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy53 View Post
I'm seeing that basic premise of AF improvement over most previous Canon prosumer bodies. The 5D MKIII appears to be especially improved over previous 5D MKII and 7D in lower light. (The Canon 7D is still rated pretty good in good light. The 5D MKII is "conditionally" OK in good light, and it benefits greatly from a flash with AF Assist using One Shot mode in lower light, from my own testing.)

This is all very good news for 5D MKIII owners and prospects.

I'm still looking for a consensus from professional sports photographers, but it's pretty early in the life of the 5D MKIII.
I shot youth sports professionally on the side for 3 years with a 1DIIN and 40D, then a 7D and 5D2. My opinion of all that AF is that the 7D in practical use was about as good as the 1DIIN, and that the center point of the 5D2 was very good, maybe just 10-15% behind the others, and better than the 40D. But only using the center point was not optimal. From my experience with the 5D3 so far on my personal time, shooting some skiing and my kids running around, the AF seems noticeably and pleasingly better than any of my previous cameras, in every regard. It is very accurate and confidence inspiring. I'm very satisfied with it. I no longer lust for a 1DIV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolai View Post
Yes. 61 points + better CPU vs 9point + older CPU.
7D = 19 points, all cross type. It was very good. Here's a supporting test:

http://www.prophotohome.com/news/201...kon-d3s-added/

But I agree the 5D3's is better.

"I bought a new camera, it's very advanced. You don't even need it." - Steven Wright
Old Apr-11-2012, 11:40 AM
Nikolai is offline Nikolai
Darth SLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmphotocraft View Post
7D = 19 points, all cross type. It was very good.
yeah, sorry, my bad, missed "one" :-P
My point stays though ;-)
member: NAPP, PPA, partner: Adobe
Comprehending life, universe and everything - one pixel at a time
Old Apr-11-2012, 11:42 AM
divamum is offline divamum
Major grins
"7D = 19 points, all cross type. It was very good"

Awww c'mon, the poor ole' 7d hasn't died a death or been discontinued yet!!

Fascinating site/tests - thanks for the link
Old Apr-11-2012, 01:35 PM
DeVerm is offline DeVerm
Major grins
Did couple 100 shots with the 5D2 today... it was in Manual mode all day, IS off, manual focus and every shot (with multiple wireless speedlites) was magnificent. Under these controlled conditions I can't believe it can be beat, so I'll "never" replace it It's the 7D that might get replaced when I find out what to do with loss of crop factor...

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
my Smugmug site: here
Old Apr-11-2012, 04:31 PM
jmphotocraft is offline jmphotocraft
GWC for hire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeVerm View Post
Did couple 100 shots with the 5D2 today... it was in Manual mode all day, IS off, manual focus and every shot (with multiple wireless speedlites) was magnificent. Under these controlled conditions I can't believe it can be beat, so I'll "never" replace it It's the 7D that might get replaced when I find out what to do with loss of crop factor...
Yes, below ISO 1600, there is no IQ advantage to the 5D3 over the 5D2 if AF and FPS are not a major concern.

http://jmphotocraft.smugmug.com/Other/5DII-vs-5DIII-ISO

Yeah diva, 7D is not dead, sorry! It is the best APS-C camera ever, if action is concerned. (and/or an investment in Canon lenses) And no way a $3500 cam replaces a $1700 cam for value. I will probably get my just deserts when it comes time to shoot field sports with my 5D3 and 70-200, now that I have sold my 7D. I guess I will first try adjusting my shooting strategy, and failing that, buy a 1.4x TC Mk III.

"I bought a new camera, it's very advanced. You don't even need it." - Steven Wright

Last edited by jmphotocraft; Apr-11-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old Apr-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Matthew Saville is offline Matthew Saville
Wedding Photographer
Alright, after a decent amount of testing, I have something to put forth for your consideration / discussion:

Scenario - 5D mk3 vs 5D mk2, 70-200 L IS mk1 and 24-70 L, One-Shot AF

Hypothesis - AF on the 5D mk3 seems to take a split second extra to confirm and lock focus, especially on darker subjects

Obviously the 5D mk3 has a WAY higher keeper rate no matter what, in any light. I'd say the 5D mk2's keeper rate, when shooting hand-held at fast apertures and medium-close distances, was 50-75% at best. The 5D mk3 takes that to 90-95%.

The 5D mk3 hunts less, and knows where to "start" when it comes to focusing. Focus always snaps RIGHT to the subject, however then it seems to take a split second longer than the 5D mk2 to confirm / beep, to LOCK. Maybe this is just the cost of far greater accuracy? Maybe the 5D mk2 is "confirming" focus so quickly simply because it's not being as precise, and often mis-focusing?

I'd love to know if anyone else can do a similar test and let me know what they think.

Again I'm shooting in One-Shot AF, (Beep-and-stop) in indoor / poor light. In bright sun the 5D mk3 seems to snap to focus confirmation just as fast as the 5D mk2. But say indoors in ISO ~3200 light, try focusing on something that is black but still has lots of texture. (Black camera bag?)

I've tried fiddling around with all the different focus points, including spot, point, 5/9 clusters, etc. That doesn't seem to increase the snappiness, although the most likely candidate to make me THINK it might be faste would be 5-point cluster AF. Need to do more testing though.

I'm about to add my D700 + 24-70 to the experiment; I'll report back later...

=Matt=
Old Apr-11-2012, 09:48 PM
Overfocused is offline Overfocused
Photo Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Saville View Post
Alright, after a decent amount of testing, I have something to put forth for your consideration / discussion:

Hypothesis - AF on the 5D mk3 seems to take a split second extra to confirm and lock focus, especially on darker subjects

=Matt=
Did you read page 97 of the manual yet? It might help but I don't know. And the 70-200 F4 doesn't get cross type AF... although I think you have the 2.8.

Otherwise I can't confirm anything mine is in the mail still :) Either way, the MKII would have a decent chance that it wouldn't get the shot anyway in the situation, lol
Old Apr-12-2012, 12:12 AM
Wedding Photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overfocused View Post
Did you read page 97 of the manual yet? It might help but I don't know. And the 70-200 F4 doesn't get cross type AF... although I think you have the 2.8.

Otherwise I can't confirm anything mine is in the mail still :) Either way, the MKII would have a decent chance that it wouldn't get the shot anyway in the situation, lol
I hadn't read that part of the manual yet, but yep I'm familiar with "release priority" and I think that if it is anything like the "release priority" that I've been accustomed to on Nikon, it will not help speed up the camera, it will just allow me to click a shot before focus is fully confirmed. :-(

=Matt=
Old Apr-12-2012, 12:14 AM
David_S85 is offline David_S85
Spotter of DGrin Forum Oddities & Spam
Do any of you mkIII'ers miss the red LED focus point indicator (confo blink) in the viewfinder? Does anything at all show up in there as you take a shot?
Old Apr-12-2012, 12:34 AM
Wedding Photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_S85 View Post
Do any of you mkIII'ers miss the red LED focus point indicator (confo blink) in the viewfinder? Does anything at all show up in there as you take a shot?
Yeah, that was another one of the first things we noticed. It only turns red on focus CONFIRMATION, not every time you hit the shutter half-way, like before. NOT cool, dunno why Canon changed that.
Old Apr-12-2012, 12:37 AM
Wedding Photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Saville View Post

Obviously the 5D mk3 has a WAY higher keeper rate no matter what, in any light. I'd say the 5D mk2's keeper rate, when shooting hand-held at fast apertures and medium-close distances, was 50-75% at best. The 5D mk3 takes that to 90-95%.

The 5D mk3 hunts less, and knows where to "start" when it comes to focusing. Focus always snaps RIGHT to the subject, however then it seems to take a split second longer than the 5D mk2 to confirm / beep, to LOCK. Maybe this is just the cost of far greater accuracy? Maybe the 5D mk2 is "confirming" focus so quickly simply because it's not being as precise, and often mis-focusing?

I'd love to know if anyone else can do a similar test and let me know what they think.

Again I'm shooting in One-Shot AF, (Beep-and-stop) in indoor / poor light. In bright sun the 5D mk3 seems to snap to focus confirmation just as fast as the 5D mk2. But say indoors in ISO ~3200 light, try focusing on something that is black but still has lots of texture. (Black camera bag?)

I've tried fiddling around with all the different focus points, including spot, point, 5/9 clusters, etc. That doesn't seem to increase the snappiness, although the most likely candidate to make me THINK it might be faste would be 5-point cluster AF. Need to do more testing though.

I'm about to add my D700 + 24-70 to the experiment; I'll report back later...

=Matt=
It didn't take more than a few seconds to notice that the D700 doesn't have this problem with focus confirmation, at least not with the Nikon 24-70 2.8. Even when focusing on light-sponge, near-black objects in the shadowy corners of a dimly lit room, it still snaps and beeps without that slight hesitation. The 5D mk3 would still focus accurately in these situations, but it would definitely hesitate a little before confirming focus. I will take my D700 + 24-70 into the studio tomorrow for more testing...

I'm starting to worry that maybe Canon has done what Nikon did with their new AFS-G f/1.4 primes - sacrifice a tiny bit of speed in favor of extreme accuracy. I don't want to start an all-out flame war, but one thing that does come to mind is that the 1DX could be delayed for autofocus-related reasons. Yikes!

Again, if anyone else can test this and confirm that they notice any difference at all in what I would call "a slight hesitation in confirming / locking focus" when shooting in One-Shot AF on a decent L lens. (The 24-70 seems to be the snappiest sample, snappier than the 70-200 2.8 L IS mk1) It didn't seem to matter whether I used spot, point, or cluster point AF, and from what I hear the "Case 1 / Case 2" AF options are only for AI-Servo. The test I performed was simply racking focus between a nearby, (~6 ft) brightly lit object to a further away, (~15 ft) dark and shaded object that still contained significant texture patterns. Not too bad at 70mm on the 24-70 L, a little worse on the 70-200 at 70mm, and downright "hesitant" at 200mm. (But again I must stress, VERY accurate and consistent)

=Matt=
Tell The World!  
Tags
5d mkiii , camera raw , canon , photoshop cs5 , software