• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Photo Craft Finishing School LR4 Object Removal

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Old Apr-01-2012, 11:36 AM
rickp is offline rickp OP
Major grins
LR4 Object Removal
Is there a way to remove an object from a group of images in LR4. For example I had a set of images and I needed to remove an EXIT sign from them. The only way I know how is to do it in PS5.

Thanks
R.
Old Apr-01-2012, 11:45 AM
pathfinder is offline pathfinder
Drive By Digital Shooter
My understanding of Lightroom is that it is a global editor, with a limited ability to alter the image via the adjustment brush. If the stop sign is alone in a field, you may be able to remove it with the adjustment brush like removing a dust mote.

But there is no ability to remove it like with Photoshop to my knowledge if it is very large, or intersects with important image constituents..

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
Old Apr-01-2012, 03:19 PM
rickp is offline rickp OP
Major grins
thanks guys.
I agree i thinkg CS5 works great, but the only reason I was looking for it in LR is to sync all the images this was in and hopefully save time.
The item i needed to remove was in 30 or 40 pictures and I don't know how that can be done in CS5 without doing one image at a time.

R
Old Apr-01-2012, 04:18 PM
ZBlack is online now ZBlack
ZLB Photography
I am definitely a photoshop noob so this may not be accurate. You should be able to record an action in photoshop, which in this case would be to remove certain parts of an image, and then save that action so you can repeat it. I don't know if photoshop has batch processing though to just send them all through it.
Old Apr-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Jamesbjenkins is offline Jamesbjenkins
Live, shoot, post, repeat
I don't know of any way you can do this in LR. There are quite a few ways to get it done in PS (I'd probably clone the sign out, or use content-aware fill).
Gear: Lots of Nikon bodies & glass, an office full of tools and toys
Old Apr-02-2012, 08:17 AM
basflt is offline basflt
Major grins
it may be possible with the "spot removal tool"
it has a heal mode and a clone mode
choose size (scrollwheel) and click
you can drag the second circle to a desired place , but often LR picks a correct place
the first circle can be resized , if you place your cursor on the edge
repeat adding "spots" untill its gone

you also mentioned "a group of images"
if the sign is in the EXACT same location (tripod) , you may copy your brushes
in left colom click copy
in the selection screen , deselect all except your brushes
on the other images , click paste in left colon ( works great on dustspots in a serie of shots )

Last edited by basflt; Apr-02-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old Apr-04-2012, 06:37 AM
arodney is offline arodney
Major grins
There is a selective clone-like tool in LR, (clone or heal) the question is, does it provide the precision you need to get the job done? The advantage is that IF it works, you could copy and paste this to other similar images. It is just set of instructions. But if you need real precision in this removal, you’ll want to use Photoshop.
Tell The World!