• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Photo Craft Technique The most boring photo subjects ever...crit needed

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Old Mar-29-2012, 10:19 AM
Bend The Light is offline Bend The Light OP
Bend The Light
The most boring photo subjects ever...crit needed
Hi all,

I have just today moved into a studio I am sharing with 2 mates. We aim to spend some time studying and practicing before getting some paying clients. But, as I am an impatient sort of chap, I wanted to check out the set up I put up. But there was just me...so i first took a picture of the coat stand with my bag on it, then took a photo of myself.

I would like crit on the light, the background (think I see a little not-quite-white - do you?). Is there spill? Is the colour ok?

please don't crit the models...one is a right bag, and the other is an ugly bu**er! :)

test 1 by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

Me - test by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

Cheers
Old Mar-29-2012, 11:34 AM
Moving Pictures is offline Moving Pictures
Bokeh, Dano
Work it, baby?
Old Mar-29-2012, 11:53 AM
Nikolai is offline Nikolai
Darth SLR
To check if the is a non-white on the bg I don't recommend to rely on your eyes, but instead use any of the ACR/PS provided tools to either enhace contrast dramatically by applying some insanely steep curve, or go nuts with the levels or simply select color with 255, 255, 255 and the decrese the selected area so you will be able to see the non-pure-white zones.

The bag shot looks OK.
The SP feels like there is some spillage. Can be fixed by adjusting black point, but it all depends on the intentions...

HTH
member: NAPP, PPA, partner: Adobe
Comprehending life, universe and everything - one pixel at a time
Old Mar-29-2012, 01:28 PM
Bend The Light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Pictures View Post
Work it, baby?
erm...ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolai View Post
To check if the is a non-white on the bg I don't recommend to rely on your eyes, but instead use any of the ACR/PS provided tools to either enhace contrast dramatically by applying some insanely steep curve, or go nuts with the levels or simply select color with 255, 255, 255 and the decrese the selected area so you will be able to see the non-pure-white zones.

The bag shot looks OK.
The SP feels like there is some spillage. Can be fixed by adjusting black point, but it all depends on the intentions...

HTH
Yes, it helps. The self portrait (and I must say that I was simply messing around with a spare five minutes because I just wanted to shoot something in my new studio...shoot anything!) was straight out of camera, with only sharpening as it was shot RAW. I could do a fair bit of PP to correct contrast etc.

In Photoshop I used the INFO tab to see the RGB values as I moved around the picture. I found spots where they were less than 255, but couldn't work out how to switch to the white sampler in, say, levels to make that spot 255,255,255. I'll look again...I know my eye is not quite good enough to spot it. :)

Thanks
Old Mar-29-2012, 01:48 PM
Moving Pictures is offline Moving Pictures
Bokeh, Dano
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend The Light View Post
erm...ok.
Hey, it struck me as funny at the time. The comment was directed at the backpack.
Old Mar-29-2012, 01:58 PM
Bend The Light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Pictures View Post
Hey, it struck me as funny at the time. The comment was directed at the backpack.
Ah, ok. The backpack says "erm...ok".
Old Mar-29-2012, 03:14 PM
Darth SLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend The Light View Post
In Photoshop I used the INFO tab to see the RGB values as I moved around the picture. I found spots where they were less than 255, but couldn't work out how to switch to the white sampler in, say, levels to make that spot 255,255,255. I'll look again...I know my eye is not quite good enough to spot it. :)

Thanks
Using INFO tab is better than using the eyes, but you can easily miss a whole lot of random pixels and small areas. The approach I suggested would make such stuff obvious.

BTW, you can do it in camera, although not as reliably. Shoot BG only. Your histogram should be a flat horizontal line at zero level everywhere except the rightmost end where there should be a single vertical line. Due to the limited accuracy of the small histogram, it not a 100% reliable, but it would alert you if there are obvious flaws...
Old Mar-29-2012, 11:32 PM
Bend The Light
Quote:
Using INFO tab is better than using the eyes, but you can easily miss a whole lot of random pixels and small areas. The approach I suggested would make such stuff obvious.

BTW, you can do it in camera, although not as reliably. Shoot BG only. Your histogram should be a flat horizontal line at zero level everywhere except the rightmost end where there should be a single vertical line. Due to the limited accuracy of the small histogram, it not a 100% reliable, but it would alert you if there are obvious flaws...
Thanks. I re-read what you wrote above. Will try that method. :)

I use the histogram in camera. I also have highlights showing (as the "blinkies") in the preview which shows areas where it's not quite blown. Cheers
Old Mar-30-2012, 12:10 AM
Bend The Light
Went back to the studio last night (before reading the crit here), a slight change of set up, and a better model than me. Any improvement here?

29-3-2012 Tim at Studio v2 by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

Thanks.
Old Mar-30-2012, 09:43 AM
Darth SLR
If you take it into PS and play with the black point you'll see the BG is not a pure white, not enough at least....
Old Mar-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Bend The Light
Quote:
If you take it into PS and play with the black point you'll see the BG is not a pure white, not enough at least....
Yes, I see it...I see it without PS...

Cheers
Old Apr-01-2012, 07:08 PM
Rob Pauza is offline Rob Pauza
Grin Ninja
Just be careful not to crank up the background light too much or you'll see spill and/or chromatic aberrations around the subject.
Old Apr-02-2012, 12:24 AM
Bend The Light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Pauza View Post
Just be careful not to crank up the background light too much or you'll see spill and/or chromatic aberrations around the subject.
Thanks...yes I have been told, 1 stop above main at most to blow without spill.

Cheers.
Old Apr-02-2012, 07:07 AM
Darth SLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Pauza View Post
Unless you actually spill the lights on the subject (from the light sources) or have a highly reflective surface it is not going to happen. For a basic white fabric BG with regular relective properties you can "overblow" by 3-4 stops without any noticeable effects on the subject. Not that I recommend it (why waste power and increase the recycle times), but you typically have a lot of lenience in that department.
Tell The World!