• Gear
  • Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Gear Accessories Eye-Fi Pro Card, available now.

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Page 6  of  7
« First 2 3 4 5 6 7
Old Feb-04-2011, 02:19 PM
gillat is offline gillat OP
Eye-Fi co-founder
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRoamer View Post
Hey All, I'm new around here so... Howdy!
I bought one of these a short while back and love it.

Like the functionality Sam was looking for: I set it up to automatically upload to my pc, them Lightroom sucked them in live while the Slideshow I had playing kept showing the pictures I had just taken. Only thing I had not figured out was getting the most recent new shots to automatically display in the slideshow. A quick manual restart of the show would re-index the shots and all was well. Easy to do after shooting a small batch. I did this at a few private events and it was a hit.

Dave
Hey guys,

So Lr2 works great, and will pick up the photos live, as they're coming in. As new photos arrive at the folder, even if you have the slideshow set to random, they WILL get picked up

Lr3 has a bug, and I've let Adobe know about it. It will NOT update in real-time, even as photos are coming in. You need to restart the slideshow, which is really too bad.

Thx --

Ziv.
Old Feb-05-2011, 12:56 PM
mr peas is offline mr peas
Drag that shutter!
Alright so I finally got a camera body that utilizes the use of an SD-SDHC slot...small-upgrade from my usual CF cards :P

I have a netbook from Acer. I'd like to shoot on location and upload to my laptop...I have no idea how to do that.

Which Eye-Fi card should I look into? Any website/links any of you can point me towards?
Old Feb-05-2011, 03:29 PM
HDRoamer is offline HDRoamer
Big grins
Mr Peas-
You need to read the eye-fi site and check your camera compatibility, then pick out a card with the features you want.
Start here:
http://support.eye.fi/
http://www.eye.fi/products/compare-cards

Last edited by HDRoamer; Feb-05-2011 at 03:30 PM. Reason: correction
Old Feb-08-2011, 11:02 PM
JustinThyme is offline JustinThyme
R&M Sports Photography
OK I read through everything and didnt see one important detail, well very important to me anyhow.
Transfer speed.
I shoot a lot of sports with a Canon MKIV and found the Canon wireless file transmitter to be far too slow so Im thinking this will probably yeild even worse speed results?
For me its all about speed. Current transfer is done with UDMA CF card though firewire 800 or if Im shooting a tournament where there are thousands of images I use a nexto portable in the field then transfer to PC via eSATA. I would have no need to upload directly to a website as I shoot RAW files that need to be processed.
Old Feb-20-2011, 02:08 AM
ImageX Photography is offline ImageX Photography
Major grins
I finally picked up an X2 after eying them for awhile for my D300s. I have to say the concept is cool but the speed is horribly slow... even when camera is sitting next to router. It just doesn't seem to work well for large files and sometimes it doesn't work at all... even when camera is "awake" as it should be. At least on my system it doesn't work well. I know it's not my network speed that is the problem so I see some hardware returns in my near future. Maybe I'll try again when speed is brought up and transferring becomes more reliable. As of now, I am less than impressed with the Eye Fi cards.
Old Feb-20-2011, 08:14 AM
Overfocused is offline Overfocused
Photo Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
OK I read through everything and didnt see one important detail, well very important to me anyhow.
Transfer speed.
I shoot a lot of sports with a Canon MKIV and found the Canon wireless file transmitter to be far too slow so Im thinking this will probably yeild even worse speed results?
For me its all about speed. Current transfer is done with UDMA CF card though firewire 800 or if Im shooting a tournament where there are thousands of images I use a nexto portable in the field then transfer to PC via eSATA. I would have no need to upload directly to a website as I shoot RAW files that need to be processed.

Completely agree. All wireless solutions for cameras so far are way too slow for uploading after coming in from a shoot after traveling or even just going outside for a bit. Eyefi is only good for shooting in real-time with a computer in range, not dumping to your HDD after a long shoot out and about.

The fact Canon approved of a wireless transmitter that only uploads at ~1.5MB for $700 makes me angry too. For $700 that is absolutely absurd. Get a new computer instead and buy photoshop standalone with it for that price!

I download compact flash at 70-90MB/sec with an expresscard slot reader that was just $35. Granted the card was $150 but still, SD cards download at 20-30MB/sec too.
Old Feb-28-2011, 01:20 PM
Overfocused is offline Overfocused
Photo Nut
Oh... for anyone looking to find one of the Delock adapters, they're sold all over Europe:

http://www.delock.com/kaufen/onlines...id=Deutschland

I'm sure someone or most would ship to the U.S. Worth it.
Old Oct-12-2011, 05:20 AM
jamez is offline jamez
Adapter Haker
Use the Eye-Fi with CF cameras
Updating an old post to give some new hope to those of us that are CF users.

I've documented how to reconfigure the B&H SD/CF Type II adapter into a Type I format.

We've found some users mentioning that the reconfigured adapter is not being picked up by some cameras (some Nikons). I've made a followup video describing how to mount it into a Type I chassis.

Let me know if you find success and if so what camera and card chassis you've used.

Tested and working:
Nikon D3 Eye-Fi with the Type II chassis
Nikon D3 Eye-Fi with the Type I chassis
Old Oct-13-2011, 07:34 AM
ziggy53 is offline ziggy53
Still learnin'still lovin
Nicely done, James.
Old Oct-13-2011, 07:42 AM
GSbiker is offline GSbiker
Big grins
Excellent. Ordering now. Will post results with a Nikon D300 and Canon XT
Old Oct-17-2011, 04:48 PM
Big grins
The adapters came in today. Works great in the D300. JPG and Raw.
Old Oct-17-2011, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSbiker View Post
The adapters came in today. Works great in the D300. JPG and Raw.
Cool. Any insight on distance and speeds?

Do you still plan to test it on the Canon XT/350D?
Old Oct-17-2011, 05:38 PM
Eye-Fi co-founder
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy53 View Post

Guys,

In general -- on distance and speeds:

The X2 cards can upload at max, at 12mbps. That's the best case scenario, with good range. You will get lower transfer speeds, as your range is reduced.

To maximize range -- you may find that setting the channel on your router to 1 or 11 is better than the default 6. If you're using Eye-Fi Direct, you have no way to set that, and we default to Channel 6 :-)

A good router may make a huge difference.

Thx --

Ziv.
Old Nov-20-2011, 04:50 PM
Big grins
Quote:

Works great with the XTi.
Old Nov-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Sam is offline Sam
San Jose CA
Here we go again......................Now if I understand the current info, the DigiGear Exstream adapter will work with the Eye-Fi card. I have a Canon 5D II so I won't need to worry about converting to type 1. I may want to remove the metal side plates to gain operational distance.

I have gone to the Eye-Fi website but can't understand how the wireless interface takes place between the Eye-Fi card and the laptop. (I have no interest in transferring images to a cell phone or iPad) The information says the card will only connect to the laptop if there are no other networks to connect to?

Also there is a requirement that I have a Computer with an internet connection. This requirement is in addition to A computer with the ability to connect to a WiFi network wirelessly.

I am looking for a method to directly transfer an image from the camera to the laptop wirelessy without any other hardware, intermediary equipment, or internect connection.

It should work on the moon.

Sam
Old Nov-21-2011, 10:43 AM
Eye-Fi co-founder
Sam,

The fact that you couldn't figure it out from our site, is a massive fail, IMO, on our part. Have you tried looking at our brand spanking new support site?

OK, here goes:
  • You can use ad-hoc mode with the Eye-Fi Pro X2
  • you can use Direct mode, with any card, even the low-cost Connect X2

If you want to use ad-hoc -- you need to create the network on your computer, and the Pro X2 will connect to it.
If you want to use Direct mode, the card will start the Wi-Fi network, and you'll connect, from your laptop, on the moon, to the card's Wi-Fi. It'll be a secured WPA2 hotspot.

CF adapters are UNSUPPORTED and I'm seeing more reports that people with 5DmkII's and 7D's are seeing ERR 02 with their cameras. Maybe the latest 5DmkII firmware will fix that, but the adapter is NOT OUR PRODUCT, and thus using any CF adapter is unsupported.

Here are some links:

http://www.eye.fi/how-it-works/features/direct-mode
http://support.eye.fi/cards/networks...-ad-hoc-wi-fi/
http://support.eye.fi/features/direct/direct-mode-faq/
http://support.eye.fi/features/direc...e-to-computer/

Thx --

Ziv.
Old Nov-21-2011, 12:48 PM
Sam is offline Sam
San Jose CA
Ziv,

Thanks for your civil reply. First I take at least partial if not a great deal or all of the blame for not comprehending the issues involved.

As you can see I would love to have this work, hence my revisiting this issue.

When I read your reply I just sit here laughing.

This is what I read.

OK, here goes:
  • You can use ^%%$^&%^ mode with the Eye-Fi Pro X2
  • you can use &^%^, with any card, even the low-cost &^&^
If you want to use^%%$^&%^ you need to create the network on your computer (I have no idea how to create a network), and the Pro X2 will connect to it.
If you want to use &^%^, the card will start the Wi-Fi network, and you'll connect, from your laptop, on the moon, to the card's Wi-Fi. It'll be a secured &^&%&^ hotspot.

Recent pots seem to indicate the Eye-FI will work with the Canon 5D II, so really do appreciate your honest report of problems with this combination.

Perhaps next year.

Sam
Old Nov-21-2011, 03:57 PM
Eye-Fi co-founder
Sam,

I couldn't understand your reply, because the Eye-Fi stuff was broken up. Here is what I see:

Quote:
When I read your reply I just sit here laughing.
Why?

Quote:
  • You can use ^%%$^&%^ mode with the Eye-Fi Pro X2
  • you can use &^%^, with any card, even the low-cost &^&^
If you want to use^%%$^&%^ you need to create the network on your computer (I have no idea how to create a network), and the Pro X2 will connect to it.
You should look at the link I sent on ad-hoc, and you'll understand what I mean above.

Quote:
If you want to use &^%^, the card will start the Wi-Fi network, and you'll connect, from your laptop, on the moon, to the card's Wi-Fi. It'll be a secured &^&%&^ hotspot.
Again, I'm not sure why the Eye-Fi Direct portion was jumbled up...

Quote:
Recent pots seem to indicate the Eye-FI will work with the Canon 5D II, so really do appreciate your honest report of problems with this combination.
Here is the most recent info on the UNSUPPORTED CF adapter for the 5DmkII:

http://forums.eye.fi/viewtopic.php?f...tart=45#p14097

Quote:
Perhaps next year.
Nothing will be different with the topics I mentioned above, next year :-) We may improve the user experience, and we'll certainly do cool stuff and continue to do cool stuff, but as these topics pertain to you, what we have today, as solutions, we'll also have next year.

Thx --

Ziv.
Old Mar-21-2012, 02:24 PM
EyeFi and the new Canon 5D MKIII appear to be playing nicely together:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/for...1&postcount=11
Old Mar-21-2012, 05:12 PM
Eye-Fi co-founder
Quote:
EyeFi and the new Canon 5D MKIII appear to be playing nicely together:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/for...1&postcount=11
What did I tell you guys? That the world is moving to SD? No one listened to me :-)

Yes, the 5DmkIII is beautifully Eye-Fi Connected, and so is the new D800 & D800E. Also, all the SONY DSLR's, etc...

http://support.eye.fi/about-eye-fi-connected-cameras/

On the 5DmkIII, you can also see which images and videos have been uploaded, in Play mode, by looking for the Eye-Fi watermark, over the images... :-)
Page 6  of  7
« First 2 3 4 5 6 7
Tell The World!