• Gear
  • Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Wide Angle The Big Picture the dgrin game - post your comments here!

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Page 56  of  58
Old Mar-18-2012, 07:29 AM
Moving Pictures is offline Moving Pictures
Bokeh, Dano
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend The Light View Post
Ah...funny how the mind works, eh?
Yep. I was thinking "trident" as the "maybe that's the connection to the ocean?" Lacking the power to see the connections, the brain tried to make some that weren't there.

And at my age, I won't complain. Any working of the mind, no matter how odd, is still kinda a landmark moment. :)
Old Mar-18-2012, 08:10 AM
Bend The Light is offline Bend The Light
Bend The Light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Pictures View Post
And at my age, I won't complain. Any working of the mind, no matter how odd, is still kinda a landmark moment. :)
Old Mar-18-2012, 09:23 AM
Richard is offline Richard
Mildly bemused
Quote:
"I'm not demented; I'm just playing the dgrin game."
Old Mar-18-2012, 10:08 AM
W.W. Webster is offline W.W. Webster
EOS, therefore I am
Very first post -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
btw - i think the photos should speak for themselves - iow, no need to explain the "association."
Old Mar-18-2012, 05:00 PM
marionet is offline marionet
Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.W. Webster View Post
Very first post -
recommending dumbing down?
Old Mar-18-2012, 08:58 PM
EOS, therefore I am
Quote:
Originally Posted by marionet View Post
recommending dumbing down?
No, nothing to do with dumbing down, just recalling the guideline laid down in the very first post when the thread was started!

Makes abundant good sense to me!
Old Mar-18-2012, 09:45 PM
marlof is offline marlof
trying to focus
Yes, but when people no longer know where bacon comes from, or where little pigs have their food stand, you do get asked funny questions. Even when you associate on two levels in one image. ;) The association that is perfectly clear in ones mind, may be obscure in another mind. Therefor I accept all images to be an association of some kind, and just go on. It's just a silly game, not a scientific experiment.
Old Mar-18-2012, 11:58 PM
Bend The Light
Quote:
Yep. I was thinking "trident" as the "maybe that's the connection to the ocean?" Lacking the power to see the connections, the brain tried to make some that weren't there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlof View Post
Yes, but when people no longer know where bacon comes from, or where little pigs have their food stand, you do get asked funny questions. Even when you associate on two levels in one image. ;) The association that is perfectly clear in ones mind, may be obscure in another mind. Therefor I accept all images to be an association of some kind, and just go on. It's just a silly game, not a scientific experiment.
Indeed it is just a game. But looking at "Moving Pictures" comments above it is interesting to see how people see things differently. It actually has an impact on your photography, I think. Think about it...you thjink you have taken a great still life with fruit, a CD and a lizard ornament. It looks great, but the customer/viewer is seeing berries and a trident and is trying to make head 'n' tail of what you are showing. Until you point out what is there, they don't get it.
I find it interesting, and it helps me to self-critique...I ask myself "What will SOMEONE ELSE see in my photograph? And will that then cause a problem?

(No offence to Moving Pictures, I just used you as an example :) )
Old Mar-19-2012, 12:30 AM
EOS, therefore I am
Quote:
Yes, but when people no longer know where bacon comes from, or where little pigs have their food stand, you do get asked funny questions.
Why not name me as having raised the question you are alluding to, and why the need to try to demean or belittle me?
Quote:
The association that is perfectly clear in ones (sic) mind, may be obscure in another mind.
Of course, but from your previous comment it's not apparent you are prepared to accept that in others. Are you saying my IQ of 128 does not meet the required threshold here to make the associations expected?
Quote:
Therefor (sic) I accept all images to be an association of some kind, and just go on.
Now that is going too far IMHO. Do you mean anyone can post anything?
Quote:
It's just a silly game, not a scientific experiment.
I agree it is a game, but I don't believe it was ever intended to be silly. For anyone to be able to post anything at all is silly.

If you are unwilling to accept the guideline Andy set down and which I quoted, why not say so and propose the guideline be changed or dropped - rather than take a swipe at me?

I enjoy participating and the camaraderie that has developed over the more than six years the photo association game has been running. But, if it is agreed that any photo at all can now be posted and will always be deemed to have an association with the previous photo, I regret that I have made my last post!

On the other hand, if the guideline will continue in effect, perhaps you should do the honourable thing and exit gracefully. Our views on this are diametrically opposed and whatever the guideline is to be, it can't suit us both!
Old Mar-19-2012, 01:02 AM
Mildly bemused

Let's take this down a notch, OK?

What's clear to one person may not be clear at all to someone else. We all have different styles. Some rely on subject; others on purely visual things like form and color; others go in for puns. Which is fine. Personally I enjoy it more when the associations are subtle, and less when there are half a dozen pics of, say, the Golden Gate Bridge in a row. But that's just me. Every now and then, something leaves me scratching my head. Sometimes this is because two people are posting at the same time, which can create sequence problems. Sometimes it's because I just miss the point. That's fine too--it's not worth getting upset about or demanding an explanation. It's just a game.
Old Mar-19-2012, 01:54 AM
DonRicklin is online now DonRicklin
Polysemaniac!
: agree As I stated (more or less, here) 5 years ago, I would rather not see the 'Me too' images of 10 airplanes or dogs in a row and see the much more subtle form and color or pun connections that show the diversity of associations and thought in an image choice.

For me though, sometimes it seems like images are posted, just to change the subject! I guess I'm just not seeing the connection at those time!

Don
Old Mar-19-2012, 02:04 AM
Bend The Light
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRicklin View Post
: agree As I stated (more or less, here) 5 years ago, I would rather not see the 'Me too' images of 10 airplanes or dogs in a row and see the much more subtle form and color or pun connections that show the diversity of associations and thought in an image choice.

For me though, sometimes it seems like images are posted, just to change the subject! I guess I'm just not seeing the connection at those time!

Don
I think in those cases, Don, where you may not see the link, that it is valid to ask in THIS thread. I took the rule about "The images should speak for themselves" to mean that no discussion should take place in the thread itself...

As I said before, I enjoy it when someone comes in here and says "help...what's the connection"...it gives me great insight into the workings of the mind. :)
Old Mar-19-2012, 02:39 AM
Moving Pictures is offline Moving Pictures
Bokeh, Dano
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend The Light View Post
(No offence to Moving Pictures, I just used you as an example :) )
Been used an example before. Usually as a central figure in cautionary tale to young children.
Old Mar-19-2012, 03:59 AM
Bend The Light
Quote:
Been used an example before. Usually as a central figure in cautionary tale to young children.
Ha ha...I know what you mean! :)
Old Mar-20-2012, 04:22 PM
marlof is offline marlof
trying to focus
I've never minded questions about associations, that's all part of this game. But if my association is questioned in the following way

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.W. Webster View Post
IMHO the 'association' between these images, if any, is so vague and obscure as to defeat the purpose and intention of the thread. I feel it is incumbent on any poster to ensure that an image association will always be clearly apparent to anyone, and that the explanation isn't some curious aberration in the mind of the poster!
my feathers do get ruffled. That's not a question, but a disqualification. And my contribution didn't deserve that. So if I sounded grumpy, it was because I was exactly that. But let's put that behind us, and get on with this fun game.
Old Mar-20-2012, 04:26 PM
EOS, therefore I am
Quote:
... let's put that behind us, and get on with this fun game.
Old Mar-22-2012, 11:27 AM
marlof is offline marlof
trying to focus
It seems we went past #15000 recently. :-)
Old Mar-22-2012, 12:02 PM
Mildly bemused
Whew, so that's why I've been feeling tired lately.
Old Mar-22-2012, 12:37 PM
DonRicklin is online now DonRicklin
Polysemaniac!
Quote:
It seems we went past #15000 recently. :-)
And the winner is:

Don
Old Apr-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Earache is offline Earache
Unsharp and Oversaturated

LOL ! A beloved (and well fed) friend I'm sure!

For the game, I really really wish I had a shot of a blimp to follow with.