• Gear
  • Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Support SmugMug Video Support Minimum Resolution?

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Old Feb-08-2010, 04:24 PM
SamirD is offline SamirD OP
Huntsville Car Scene.com
Minimum Resolution?
I know there's a maximum resolution and maximum file size, but what about minimums?

The reason I ask is because I have thousands of smaller video files that are 160 x 112, 8fps, 4khz/sec audio. These are actually inside a container that is 25fps. The video is mpeg1 and the audio is uncompressed. I've been attempting to transcode the video and audio to other codecs that I usually use sucessfully for SM uploads, but the resulting video is failing to be recognized. I've tried a few different variations and SM recognizes it when I upsize it to 640, but that increases the file size 10x.

Does the smaller resolution cause problems for SM? Anyone else have experience in this area?
Old Feb-09-2010, 08:35 AM
docwalker is offline docwalker
Kilted SmugMug Hero
Samir,

320x240 is the minimum. 640x480 should fit fine, if your conversion is making it too large to upload, you probably need to apply a little bit rate love to it. Our version is 1.2Mbps so do not exceed it too much. If you do it causes the file size to go up.

--Doc

About.me
Old Feb-09-2010, 10:45 AM
Huntsville Car Scene.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwalker
320x240 is the minimum.
Thank you Doc. I'll try this and see what happens.
Old Feb-09-2010, 11:43 AM
ChancyRat is online now ChancyRat
Soooo Beginner Grinner
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwalker
Samir,

320x240 is the minimum. 640x480 should fit fine, if your conversion is making it too large to upload, you probably need to apply a little bit rate love to it. Our version is 1.2Mbps so do not exceed it too much. If you do it causes the file size to go up.

--Doc
Doc, don't know if this is the right place/time to ask, but since you mention bit rate love... It's been suggested to me that I reduce the bit rate to save size, but I don't understand what to put it to. There is a bar to slide minimum and maximum (in PE7, exporting to 264, 1920 x 1080, AVCHD), that slides I think between 1 or 10, to 10. (Sorry I'm not at home with the program.) Is there a recommendation what to set it to? Thanks.
Old Feb-09-2010, 11:48 AM
docwalker is offline docwalker
Kilted SmugMug Hero
Chancy,

Bitrate is often expressed as Mbps. So I am not sure what that slider does as I have not used Premier for quite some time.

Our tech Specs listed here http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/Video+Help show the Bitrates that we use for each display size. Check Premier for a setting and change it there. The default may show Kbps as some other apps that I have seen do. You either change it to display by Kbps or enter it like 1200Kbps for 1.2Mbps.

I hope that helps.

About.me
Old Feb-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Huntsville Car Scene.com
A 342x240 file worked. Apparently due to the aspect ratio and source size of 160, a size of 320 was making the other side only 224.

I found out that ffmpeg can quickly change the resolution (quicker than avidemux) into a form SM recognizes. Depending on what bitrate I set, it can also make a file less than 2x the size of the original. It's also command line which will make batch conversion a lot easier.

But what I've also noticed is that the codecs used in this format are all natively supported in SM. So my request is this--can SM be made to allow videos smaller than 320x240? Please? You'd save me converting thousands of videos and uploading larger versions of them that will only be re-compressed again.

I await your answer before I start writing what will be a pretty massive batch operation.
Old Feb-10-2010, 11:12 AM
phototristan is offline phototristan
SmugMug Support Hero
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamirD
A 342x240 file worked. Apparently due to the aspect ratio and source size of 160, a size of 320 was making the other side only 224.

I found out that ffmpeg can quickly change the resolution (quicker than avidemux) into a form SM recognizes. Depending on what bitrate I set, it can also make a file less than 2x the size of the original. It's also command line which will make batch conversion a lot easier.

But what I've also noticed is that the codecs used in this format are all natively supported in SM. So my request is this--can SM be made to allow videos smaller than 320x240? Please? You'd save me converting thousands of videos and uploading larger versions of them that will only be re-compressed again.

I await your answer before I start writing what will be a pretty massive batch operation.
SmugMug doesn't allow videos smaller than 320x240 at this time unfortunately. We appreciate your suggestion however! I'm not sure how likely this is to change in the future but you never know.
http://help.smugmug.com/
Old Feb-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Huntsville Car Scene.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by phototristan
SmugMug doesn't allow videos smaller than 320x240 at this time unfortunately. We appreciate your suggestion however! I'm not sure how likely this is to change in the future but you never know.
It was worth a shot. Thank you for the reply.
Old Jun-08-2011, 01:35 PM
Huntsville Car Scene.com
Hate to bump an old thread, but looks like I've hit another minimum that may be causing the error I'm running into in this thread:
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?...82#post1625382

Is there a minimum length for a video. It keeps calling a video invalid in the control panel, gives me a 'system error' message in simple uploader, and yet is the same format as every other video, except it's just really, really, really short--like a second or so. It should technically upload fine unless there's a bug or limitation at SM. Any advice?
Old Jun-08-2011, 06:15 PM
richW is offline richW
SmugMug QA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamirD View Post
Hate to bump an old thread, but looks like I've hit another minimum that may be causing the error I'm running into in this thread:
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?...82#post1625382

Is there a minimum length for a video. It keeps calling a video invalid in the control panel, gives me a 'system error' message in simple uploader, and yet is the same format as every other video, except it's just really, really, really short--like a second or so. It should technically upload fine unless there's a bug or limitation at SM. Any advice?
I just uploaded a 2 second long video and it works fine.

Could you send the details to the help desk and we'll have one of the video experts lend a hand. http://www.smugmug.com/help/emailreal
Old Jun-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Huntsville Car Scene.com
Good to know as I've never had a problem with ultra-short videos in the past. I just got a response from the help desk:

"Yes, that is likely too short. I don't know if there is a hard minimum and it probably will depend on the codec and other settings used. Try a video a minute at least or longer."

What do you want as far as details? I've lost many hours today diagnosing this issue and trying to get around it to finish uploads that should have been done Tuesday. I'm not a happy camper right now to say the least.
Old Jun-09-2011, 03:31 PM
Huntsville Car Scene.com
I just saw that you requested that I email the help desk. Email sent.
Old Jun-19-2011, 11:13 PM
Huntsville Car Scene.com
The current status of this is that I've given SM ample documentation on how videos <1sec in the same codec as one I've been using successfully have stopped working.
Old Jun-20-2011, 05:11 AM
phototristan is offline phototristan
SmugMug Support Hero
Quote:
The current status of this is that I've given SM ample documentation on how videos <1sec in the same codec as one I've been using successfully have stopped working.
There is currently an issue with .mpg video files, (not only short 1 second ones). Converting them to a .mov prior to uploading should work just fine however.
http://help.smugmug.com/
Old Jun-20-2011, 07:31 AM
Huntsville Car Scene.com
This is the first time I've heard that there's any issues with mpgs other than what I've been able to discover. What else seems to not work? What is the eta on a fix?
Old Mar-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Huntsville Car Scene.com
Just ran into this issue again. Any fix in the works?
Old Mar-19-2012, 09:08 AM
Andy is offline Andy
Bicameral
Quote:
Just ran into this issue again. Any fix in the works?
Specifically and exactly what did you upload, and what happened? Thanks, the more you can tell us right now the better we can assist.
Old Mar-19-2012, 08:37 PM
Huntsville Car Scene.com
Quote:
...videos <1sec in the same codec as one I've been using successfully have stopped working.
I can send you a copy of the video if that helps. It is again <1sec and only 768k. I think this was never properly resolved before. I rarely shoot clips this short, but didn't have problems with them in years past. Thank you for the help Andy!
Old Mar-19-2012, 08:39 PM
Huntsville Car Scene.com
Oh, the uploader error log says 'invalid format' or something to that effect while longer clips with that same format upload fine. Uploader repeatedly uploads the file and then stops and says 'system error' with a cancel/retry box.
Old May-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Huntsville Car Scene.com
Still happening. Have about half a dozen clips now that couldn't be uploaded.