• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Wide Angle Location, Location, Location! Yellow Stone Summer trip advice

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Old Mar-18-2012, 01:16 PM
ZBlack is offline ZBlack OP
ZLB Photography
Yellow Stone Summer trip advice
This seemed like the best place to open this thread, so if not, move as necessary.

I will be going to Yellow Stone this summer. Arriving July 4th in the western side of things and then we'll be in Jackson Hole for a few days as well. All in all it will be roughly an 8-9 day trip with travel time, so 5 days or so of activity time. Grandparents and mother will be with me so we won't be able to do any long hikes or crazy stuff. We do have a couple guided tours planned which sound pretty fun anyways. For my first trip, I think that will be alright and will give me a great taste for what I want to do next time I go back on my own.

Guess the main thoughts/questions for this thread are what sort of gear should I be sure to have with me? I have most of what I will use I'm pretty sure save for a bigger zoom. I've got a D7000 with a few extra batteries, my Tamron 10-24, Sigma 17-50, Sigma 50-150 and the Nikon 55-200.

What I am thinking is renting a Sigma 50-500 and just bringing that with my wide angle and the 17-50. I will travel with everything I have, but leave most of it behind when I'm out and about. I don't think the 200 will provide enough reach if I happen to come across some awesome wildlife, hence the thought od renting a longer reach. Fairly limited budget, and thinking or renting for 2 weeks. The big 600 f/4 is to much haha. Probably over thinking this as it's a first trip to the park, but want to have the variety of lenses I may need to capture it all as best as possible.

Any recommendations on what to add to my arsenal for the trip? What about other activities or places that are must do's or must sees that some elderly people can get to and do?

Thanks!
Old Apr-11-2012, 08:14 AM
JC is offline JC
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBlack View Post
This seemed like the best place to open this thread, so if not, move as necessary.

I will be going to Yellow Stone this summer.

Any recommendations on what to add to my arsenal for the trip? What about other activities or places that are must do's or must sees that some elderly people can get to and do?

Thanks!
Sacrificial UV or similar filters for your lenses. the spray and fog from the geysers and hot springs can potentially do nasty stuff to your glass. Lots of lens wipes/cloths and a small bottle of soft or distilled water on hand would be useful as well. Polarizing filters for the pools. I've never really considered the park from an accessibility viewpoint, but if you have some guided tours they should know the good places. Definitely spend some time inside the lodge, it's beautiful.
Tell The World!