• Gear
  • Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Old Feb-29-2012, 10:35 AM
sevans0579 is offline sevans0579 OP
Big grins
iMac Ram
Hi all
I have just purchased the iMac 27inch 3,1 i5 and wanted to increase the ram myself because apple's fees are crazy. Therefore would I benefit a great deal more with 16gb or would 12gb be suffice for photo editing (Lightroom) and video editing (final cut pro) basically trying to way the costs against the benefits?
Also whilst on the subject of editing, does final cut pro recognise sony's AVCHD format?
Thanks for your time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Mar-01-2012, 03:50 AM
Big grins
Can anybody help?

Old Mar-01-2012, 05:00 AM
angevin1 is offline angevin1
Performs as designed
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevans0579 View Post
Hi all
I have just purchased the iMac 27inch 3,1 i5 and wanted to increase the ram myself because apple's fees are crazy. Therefore would I benefit a great deal more with 16gb or would 12gb be suffice for photo editing (Lightroom) and video editing (final cut pro) basically trying to way the costs against the benefits?
Also whilst on the subject of editing, does final cut pro recognise sony's AVCHD format?
Thanks for your time

1. No. 12GB is sufficient, but more is better.

2. Googled your query: results link
Old Mar-03-2012, 07:50 AM
DavidTO is offline DavidTO
Mod Emeritus
16gb, especially for FCP X.
Old Mar-03-2012, 08:18 AM
davev is offline davev
Getting older by the day
Do some searching on the web.
I have a 27" I7 iMac.
It came with 4gb of ram. I bought 16 gb to install in it.
Shortly after, the machine started to randomly shut down.
It appears that there is a flaw with this machine and 16 gb of ram.
Some others have replaced the flawed ram with chips from a different manufacture, and they say that worked.
Me, I removed one board, so I have 12 gb of ram, and I haven't had a problem since.

I bought the ram from Crucial, but I don't remember the manufacture.

Like I say, do some research.

This is the thread that I found explaining the problem.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

By about page 6 or 7 the problem is being solved.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.

Last edited by davev; Mar-03-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old Mar-03-2012, 08:31 AM
Mod Emeritus
Crucial is a good source for RAM. Did you send it back as faulty and get a replacement? Bad RAM happens.
Old Mar-03-2012, 08:34 AM
davev is offline davev
Getting older by the day
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTO View Post
Crucial is a good source for RAM. Did you send it back as faulty and get a replacement? Bad RAM happens.
The ram isn't faulty, its the iMac. I added a link to my post explaining.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
Old Mar-14-2012, 11:05 PM
bloomphotog is offline bloomphotog
Major grins
Go for 16GB! At only $100, why not? http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/iMac
Old Mar-15-2012, 09:35 AM
MarkR is offline MarkR
Accused Shill.
I have a 27" imac that I upgraded with 16mb ram from Crucial several months ago. So far so good! (knock on wood.)

EDIT: I have an "older" late-2009 model.
Old Mar-16-2012, 11:21 AM
PilotBrad is offline PilotBrad
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
I have a 27" imac that I upgraded with 16mb ram from Crucial several months ago. So far so good!
Ditto.... $105 for 16GB of Crucial RAM purchased through Amazon a few months back. Just remember to keep your old ram in case you ever need to send in the iMac for service or warranty work.
Old Mar-16-2012, 01:09 PM
Big grins
Thanks for the feedback, I went ahead and got 16gb from macsales, great service !

Old Mar-18-2012, 05:37 AM
pathfinder is online now pathfinder
Drive By Digital Shooter
I frequently receive goods from macsales in 24 hours.

I just replaced the hard drive in my wife's MBP with a solid state drive, and the time from submitting the order on-line to arrival of the drive was about 22 hours. I bumped up the ram at the same time, from macsales.com.

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
Old Mar-28-2012, 07:15 AM
Manfr3d is offline Manfr3d
Likes it bokehlicious!
You might not need 16 right away, but for under 100$ you can get 16gb and put the subject wether you could use 16gb instead of 12gb at rest until you upgrade to a new machine in a couple of years.
Old Apr-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Mod Emeritus
I just this weekend set up a new 27" iMac i7 with the SSD option. I got 24GB RAM from macsales.com for $275. It slipped in easy peasy and I've had no issues with it in the 48 hours it's been running! Keep your fingers crossed.
Old Apr-09-2012, 05:33 AM
DeVerm is offline DeVerm
Major grins
I got a bad Crucial memory stick. First time I got Crucial and first time I got a bad stick (easy enough to test, just swap sticks until you identify the bad one) , and I have bought dozens. So... I'm back to Kingston memory, 100% success rate.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
my Smugmug site: here
Old Apr-16-2012, 11:07 AM
Cowboydoug is offline Cowboydoug
Kidnapper
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevans0579 View Post
Hi all
Thanks for your time

Howdy... I have the 27" 2.93 i7 with 24gb... bought ram from OWC. 2x8gb & 2x4gb.. I'm not sure what to think yet... My machine is doing funny things as of late... I'm not sure if its CS6 or the new LR4 or the ram thats giving me grief... but something is... I've really got to write down what its doing... I couldn't even describe it at the moment... but I do see a huge improvement while pushing my gig+ size files

Cowboydoug
Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
www.iWasThereToo.com
Tell The World!