• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Support SmugMug APIs, Hacks & Tricks Star*Explorer Thread

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

They're back! Our latest series of Dgrin Challenges, the OOYCZ Challenges (Out of Your Comfort Zone), is a series of challenges to help you improve your photography by stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something new. Our challenge leader says "Consider it like a photography class with no diplomas.". Get started with OOYCZ by reading the Challenge Guide.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Page 66  of  68
Old Jul-22-2011, 01:49 PM
agallia is offline agallia
Acadiana Grinner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolai View Post
Al,
you don't have to download IMAGES.
Just images INFO (much faster, btw).
It goes into S*E's cache (db).
But if I wish to download the original from SM for additional PP, I can, right? Info is related to original filename, right?
Old Jul-22-2011, 01:52 PM
Nikolai is offline Nikolai OP
Darth SLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by agallia View Post
But if I wish to download the original from SM for additional PP, I can, right? Info is related to original filename, right?
Oh, sure, that would work, too. ALl I'm saying downloading images is an overkill for duplicates logic to work, info is enough. Downloading an image also gets its info, that's a given.
member: NAPP, PPA, partner: Adobe
Comprehending life, universe and everything - one pixel at a time
Old Jul-22-2011, 01:57 PM
agallia is offline agallia
Acadiana Grinner
Quote:
Oh, sure, that would work, too. ALl I'm saying downloading images is an overkill for duplicates logic to work, info is enough. Downloading an image also gets its info, that's a given.
Thanks. Will try it again later. Have a good day!
Old Feb-20-2012, 11:59 PM
SkintDad is offline SkintDad
Beginner grinner
Star*Explorer get image info
Hi,
Newbie to Star*Explorer so please be gentle!
I have a Pro version and I am able to download Image information to my PC such as Filename, Orientation, caption, keywords etc. By right clicking any one of the listed files I have the option to "update Image Info", however, I do not understand where I can change the image info to be able to upload it.
What is it I want to achieve? I want to be able to download all comments from the SmugMug site, delete/add/edit comments and then reload the comments to SmugtMug. I cannot see how to do this in Star*Explorer.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks,
Trevor
Windows 7 64 bit
Old Feb-21-2012, 06:10 AM
Darth SLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkintDad View Post
Hi,
Newbie to Star*Explorer so please be gentle!
I have a Pro version and I am able to download Image information to my PC such as Filename, Orientation, caption, keywords etc. By right clicking any one of the listed files I have the option to "update Image Info", however, I do not understand where I can change the image info to be able to upload it.
What is it I want to achieve? I want to be able to download all comments from the SmugMug site, delete/add/edit comments and then reload the comments to SmugtMug. I cannot see how to do this in Star*Explorer.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks,
Trevor
Windows 7 64 bit
Hi Trevor,
unfortunately, the image-associated content (comments, etc.) is not currently downloadable via S*E.
I'll mark this as a user feature request.
Nikolai
Old Feb-21-2012, 06:35 AM
Beginner grinner
Hi Nikolai,

I have misrepresented my requirement. I can currently download the image information for an album to Star Explorer which includes the "Caption" field.

I would like to be able to change/delete/add to the caption field for either individual or groups of images and then send back to SmugMug.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Trevor
Old Feb-21-2012, 06:42 AM
Darth SLR
Quote:
Hi Nikolai,

I have misrepresented my requirement. I can currently download the image information for an album to Star Explorer which includes the "Caption" field.

I would like to be able to change/delete/add to the caption field for either individual or groups of images and then send back to SmugMug.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Trevor
Not currently, no. But I have it in the blueprints for one of the future Pro packages.
Old Feb-26-2012, 04:15 PM
Darth SLR
New version 1.0.0.284: new Albums3 package
Albums3 Pro Package (applicable to Pro, Pro+ and Studio editions).
The package functionality is accessible via Albums context menu (More..) and includes the following features (applicable to a single album or a selection of albums):
1. Change albums keywords
2. Change albums description
3. Enable/disable right click
4. Show/Hide Owner
5. Clean on/off
6. Change square thumbs: for now, albums settings only for the future uploads, as there is no API to change existing thumbs. Once API is there, this functionality will be updated.
Old Feb-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Beginner grinner
Pro Albums 3
Hi Nikolai,

would I be right in assuming that this does not allowing editting of comments?

If not, do you know when there will be a package that will do so?

Many thanks,

Trevor
Old Feb-28-2012, 12:17 PM
Darth SLR
Quote:
Hi Nikolai,

would I be right in assuming that this does not allowing editting of comments?

If not, do you know when there will be a package that will do so?

Many thanks,

Trevor
Hi Trevor,
yes, you're correct, no comment activity here. Only what I have listed.

FWIW, edititing comments via API is not possible. You can delete existing ones and add new ones (it's not in S*E but it's possible), there is no API for anything else.

At this point I can't say when the "comments" functionality will be added to S*E. Frankly, I fail to see a business reason for this . If you could describe a use case that current Web UI doesn't cover that would help.

Thank you!
Old Feb-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Beginner grinner
Hi Nikolai,

The scenario I have at present is one album where I want to add photographs on frequent basis and I might want to have a single comment for each batch. As an example:

Album - Baby May
10 pictures added on Day 1, would like to have the same comment on every file, e.g. "Baby Mays 1st Day"
15 pictures added on Day 5, same comment on each to to be "Baby Mays fifth day in incubator"
3 pictures added on Day 7, Same comment on each to be "Baby May comes off CPAP for an hour today"
etc etc.
Clearly I could separate these into individual albums but when I have sent the original album link to friends I don't want to have to keep telling them there are new albums every few days. My first email would invite them to check back periodically to see the new photographs.
Does this make sense - is there an easier way for me to do this outside of Star*Explorer? What I want to avoid is having to enter the same comment multiple times.
Thanks,
Trevor

Last edited by SkintDad; Feb-29-2012 at 12:21 PM. Reason: pasted text left over at end of message made it look messy!
Old Feb-29-2012, 12:13 PM
Darth SLR
Quote:
Hi Nikolai,

The scenario I have at present is one album where I want to add photographs on frequent basis and I might want to have a single comment for each batch. As an example:

Album - Baby May
10 pictures added on Day 1, would like to have the same comment on every file, e.g. "Baby Mays 1st Day"
15 pictures added on Day 5, same comment on each to to be "Baby Mays fifth day in incubator"
3 pictures added on Day 7, Same comment on each to be "Baby May comes off CPAP for an hour today"
etc etc.
Clearly I could separate these into individual albums but when I have sent the original album link to friends I don't want to have to keep telling them there are new albums every few days. My first email would invite them to check back periodically to see the new photographs.
Does this make sense - is there an easier way for me to do this outside of Star*Explorer? What I want to avoid is having to enter the same comment multiple times.
Thanks,
Trevor
Trevor,

What stops you from putting that info into an image Description, let alone image Caption?
Comments are for your visitors, you have access to a more solid info ;-)
Old Mar-01-2012, 12:03 AM
Beginner grinner
Hi Nikolai,

I am not sure how I get information into image description therefore I have to look at an alternative.

However, I have just seen on SmugMug that I can add comments to multiple photographs by using:

Tools, Many Photos, Caption/Keyword.

Seems to fit what I want to do for now until I can investigate image information further.

Thanks for your help,

Trevor
Old Mar-01-2012, 06:14 AM
Darth SLR
Quote:
Hi Nikolai,

I am not sure how I get information into image description therefore I have to look at an alternative.

However, I have just seen on SmugMug that I can add comments to multiple photographs by using:

Tools, Many Photos, Caption/Keyword.

Seems to fit what I want to do for now until I can investigate image information further.

Thanks for your help,

Trevor
Ah, this is not about the commenting... this is changing caption (name) and keywords. That functionality is in fact in the blueprints slated for release later this year.
Old Mar-01-2012, 11:32 AM
Beginner grinner
Thats good news, I will look out for it.

Cheers,

Trevor
Old Apr-30-2012, 07:33 PM
Motophotog is offline Motophotog
Big grins
Hi all,

Huge issue here. I've been using star explorer for a few years. This is the first big race weekend in the northwest for roadracing. I use it for all the various racers for their particular galleries.

At any rate, I've got a batch of 95 folders for about 2700 photos. It buzzed through 700 photos uploaded fast. Then (as it was known to do from time to time last year) the computer lost its internet connection (the yellow box that shows on the bottom right corner of win7 and other windows based computers.) The only way to get it to go away and work again is to restart the computer and restart Star explorer. I did this about ten times and now im to the point its only working a few photos before the program is somehow not agreeing with the good ol internet connection

I apologize if this question has already come to light. Looking for a reply asap! Thanks so much in advance!!!
Old Apr-30-2012, 07:40 PM
Darth SLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motophotog View Post
Hi all,

Huge issue here. I've been using star explorer for a few years. This is the first big race weekend in the northwest for roadracing. I use it for all the various racers for their particular galleries.

At any rate, I've got a batch of 95 folders for about 2700 photos. It buzzed through 700 photos uploaded fast. Then (as it was known to do from time to time last year) the computer lost its internet connection (the yellow box that shows on the bottom right corner of win7 and other windows based computers.) The only way to get it to go away and work again is to restart the computer and restart Star explorer. I did this about ten times and now im to the point its only working a few photos before the program is somehow not agreeing with the good ol internet connection

I apologize if this question has already come to light. Looking for a reply asap! Thanks so much in advance!!!
Hi Darren,
looks like you've got a connectivity issue. Try to reboot your DSL/fiber/cable modem (power cable off, 10 sec wait, power cable back on) and make sure you get decent upload ratings to San Jose server via speedtest.net. After all, if there is no good connection, no upload can be solid...
Old Apr-30-2012, 08:04 PM
Big grins
Quote:
Hi Darren,
looks like you've got a connectivity issue. Try to reboot your DSL/fiber/cable modem (power cable off, 10 sec wait, power cable back on) and make sure you get decent upload ratings to San Jose server via speedtest.net. After all, if there is no good connection, no upload can be solid...

Edited, because this is not the issue. Comcast was called. Acct was online, but they pinged anyway.

Last edited by Motophotog; May-01-2012 at 06:03 AM.
Old May-01-2012, 05:36 AM
Big grins
Hi all,

Problem not fixed. Comcast was called and because I'd reset my modem/router so many times, I essentially made the uploading worse. Comcast pinged my acct and fixed the issue. The second I was back online, i did the typical restart steps. and was able to use smugmug as a regular uploader, i could go anywhere online with no issues and with fast speed.

Once again, I went to use SE. It now wont even upload one photo, it gets the photos ready to go, heads to the upload green/black screen, and then simply eats up the internet connection. No freakin idea how this could happen.

Does anyone know? Nikolai thinks its Comcasts side... but i think going through the steps and seeing it only goes out when i use SE... that cant be the issue.

Has anyone else had this issue since upgrading to the newest version? I upgraded today before uploading and im wondering if i can uninstall SE and reinstall without losing all my information.

Either way i have 180 galleries and 5000 photos sitting on my harddrive, not for sale and online.
Old May-01-2012, 07:15 AM
Darth SLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motophotog View Post
Hi all,

Problem not fixed. Comcast was called and because I'd reset my modem/router so many times, I essentially made the uploading worse. Comcast pinged my acct and fixed the issue. The second I was back online, i did the typical restart steps. and was able to use smugmug as a regular uploader, i could go anywhere online with no issues and with fast speed.

Once again, I went to use SE. It now wont even upload one photo, it gets the photos ready to go, heads to the upload green/black screen, and then simply eats up the internet connection. No freakin idea how this could happen.

Does anyone know? Nikolai thinks its Comcasts side... but i think going through the steps and seeing it only goes out when i use SE... that cant be the issue.

Has anyone else had this issue since upgrading to the newest version? I upgraded today before uploading and im wondering if i can uninstall SE and reinstall without losing all my information.

Either way i have 180 galleries and 5000 photos sitting on my harddrive, not for sale and online.
Email me...
Page 66  of  68
Tell The World!  
Tags
star*explorer