• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Gear Cameras D800 vs D800E

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Page 5  of  5
1 2 3 4 5
Old Feb-26-2012, 05:35 PM
ziggy53 is offline ziggy53
Still learnin'still lovin
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Bombadil View Post
{second attempt at a reply. servers are fidgety.}

Do you think it would be necessary to "zoom in" on the lcd to discern this?

Thom Hogan (I think it was Thom) said that assigning a function button to "full lcd zoom" would be useful for checking for moire. The number of pixels involved makes perusing the whole image at 100% too tedious - but most of my shots where moire is a risk involve a person surrounded by less crisply focused stuff (other people, and nature) so that would be a workable way to identify moire.
Yes, you'd have to view the image at 100 percent. I'm not certain that you could see the moiré and aliasing issues as the same as a printed image, but it would probably be helpful.
Old Feb-27-2012, 09:45 AM
ncengineer is offline ncengineer
Beginner grinner
Suggest you check out The article The Naked Sensor at Luminous Landscape http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...d_sensor.shtml and the forum responses http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=62537.0
to get a range of views about the effects of eliminating the AA filter.
Old Feb-28-2012, 08:44 AM
T. Bombadil is offline T. Bombadil OP
Major grins
Thanks. A good read, with extensive debate in the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncengineer View Post
Suggest you check out The article The Naked Sensor at Luminous Landscape http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...d_sensor.shtml and the forum responses http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=62537.0
to get a range of views about the effects of eliminating the AA filter.

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
Looka looka koo la ley
Old Mar-06-2012, 01:57 PM
ThatCanonGuy is offline ThatCanonGuy
Loves Photography
LR4 has "moire local adjustment controls" according to a Nikon Rumors tweet.
Old Mar-18-2012, 07:29 PM
MLangton is offline MLangton
Another Wannabe
Decisions... Decisions...

These things hit the street in two more days. Anyone else getting excited?

As tempted as I am to pre-order the D800E, I am going to hold off and wait for a few live "real person" reviews. As someone that shoots 80% inanimate objects, I am very interested. At the same time, I hope to break into more people stuff in the future.

So, are we talking moire on 80% of the shots, or less than 10%. Then on WHICH shots... Anyone else getting a headache just thinking about all of this???

I just hope Nikon builds enough of BOTH models, so that if I miss the first feeding frenzy, it won't be MONTHS before I can get a new one... I feel like my waiting could hurt as much as paying off. Again, decisions... decisions...

I'm sooo excited, I just pulled the trigger on my dream 70-200mm VRII. I can't wait to put that on the D800(E). Holy crap... If I ever really get good with this stuff, it will be scary.

http://mlangton.smugmug.com
Old Mar-18-2012, 07:39 PM
FearNothing321 is offline FearNothing321
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLangton View Post
Decisions... Decisions...

These things hit the street in two more days. Anyone else getting excited?

As tempted as I am to pre-order the D800E, I am going to hold off and wait for a few live "real person" reviews. As someone that shoots 80% inanimate objects, I am very interested. At the same time, I hope to break into more people stuff in the future.

So, are we talking moire on 80% of the shots, or less than 10%. Then on WHICH shots... Anyone else getting a headache just thinking about all of this???

I just hope Nikon builds enough of BOTH models, so that if I miss the first feeding frenzy, it won't be MONTHS before I can get a new one... I feel like my waiting could hurt as much as paying off. Again, decisions... decisions...

I'm sooo excited, I just pulled the trigger on my dream 70-200mm VRII. I can't wait to put that on the D800(E). Holy crap... If I ever really get good with this stuff, it will be scary.
I don't know if this is any use to you but B & H did a blog post describing the differences between D800 and the D800E

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/...d800-and-d800e

Personally, I'm thinking about picking up a D800

You don't take a photograph, you make it. ~Ansel Adams

Blue Moon Originals
Old Mar-19-2012, 06:26 AM
Another Wannabe
Yes.., I've been reading all the reviews over and over for a few weeks.

With no hands on experience to base my decision on as the 800s have not been released yet, the straight 800 seems the logical choice.

I just can't help but wonder if the "E" will be that much better, or that much worse.

I realize that 99% of the general public will not be able to notice the difference in resolution. Sadly, I am part of that 1% that will. I tend to look at pics 100% on the monitor. No reason... I just always have.

Old Mar-19-2012, 11:28 AM
Stuart-M is offline Stuart-M
Wedding Photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLangton View Post
Yes.., I've been reading all the reviews over and over for a few weeks.

With no hands on experience to base my decision on as the 800s have not been released yet, the straight 800 seems the logical choice.

I just can't help but wonder if the "E" will be that much better, or that much worse.

I realize that 99% of the general public will not be able to notice the difference in resolution. Sadly, I am part of that 1% that will. I tend to look at pics 100% on the monitor. No reason... I just always have.
My thoughts are, if photography is a hobby, and sharpness is the number 1 thing you look for in a photo, the D800e is the choice for you. If, on the other hand, photography is your business, and moire could potentially ruin a paying job, go for the D800, or maybe the 5D3.
Old Mar-21-2012, 01:52 PM
Another Wannabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart-M View Post
My thoughts are, if photography is a hobby, and sharpness is the number 1 thing you look for in a photo, the D800e is the choice for you. If, on the other hand, photography is your business, and moire could potentially ruin a paying job, go for the D800, or maybe the 5D3.
Agreed. I am just a wanna-be now, but hope this is the year to break into the $$$. As much as I'd like the "E", since I can only afford one, I just back ordered the straight 800. Thanks for the information everyone.

Lets hope it comes in soon.

Old Apr-01-2012, 11:04 PM
perroneford is offline perroneford
Major grins
Well, this thread has died off. I wonder how all the people who got their D800s are doing. I can certainly say that I haven't used my D3s for a sports shoot since the D800 came in. I've shot several sports assignments, some birding, a bikini contest, and have a portrait session set up Sunday. I've got just over 2500 frames through the D800 and so far I am THRILLED with it.
Old Apr-02-2012, 05:54 AM
T. Bombadil is offline T. Bombadil OP
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by perroneford View Post
Well, this thread has died off. I wonder how all the people who got their D800s are doing. I can certainly say that I haven't used my D3s for a sports shoot since the D800 came in. I've shot several sports assignments, some birding, a bikini contest, and have a portrait session set up Sunday. I've got just over 2500 frames through the D800 and so far I am THRILLED with it.
Congratulations on getting one already.

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
Looka looka koo la ley
Old May-24-2012, 06:27 AM
andiamo is offline andiamo
Big grins
800E availability
I tried to order one from Ritz and they said none have been shipped to stores yet. Is that true? Anyone have any information on wait time for one?

More importantly, does anyone have experience using one and how do you like it if so?
Old May-24-2012, 07:28 AM
lifeinfocus is offline lifeinfocus
Phils Imaging
This review looks to be thorough http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...ressions.shtml
Old May-24-2012, 07:39 AM
ziggy53 is offline ziggy53
Still learnin'still lovin
Quote:
Originally Posted by andiamo View Post
I tried to order one from Ritz and they said none have been shipped to stores yet. Is that true? Anyone have any information on wait time for one?

More importantly, does anyone have experience using one and how do you like it if so?
I believe that the Nikon D800E is just barely shipping. I strongly suggest purchasing from:

Adorama
B&H
Tallyn's

Please note that the D800E may cause moiré in patterned subject matter and Nikon does not necessarily recommend the D800E for general photography.

(Nikon's statement: "Note: The D800E carries an increased possibility that moiré and false color will appear, compared to the D800.")

We had a discussion here (earlier in this same thread):http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=214968
Old May-24-2012, 07:53 AM
lifeinfocus is offline lifeinfocus
Phils Imaging
Quote:
Originally Posted by andiamo View Post

I have read elsewhere that some people have been fortunate with buying it from their local camera shop.

Phil
Old May-24-2012, 09:06 AM
Harryb is offline Harryb
old and lazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeinfocus View Post
I have read elsewhere that some people have been fortunate with buying it from their local camera shop.

Phil
I just picked up an 800E from my local camera shop today. They only got in one but I was #1 on a 4 person waiting list.
Old May-24-2012, 09:47 AM
andiamo is offline andiamo
Big grins
Thanks for all the advice. I take landscape photographs almost exclusively, so I am not too worried about moire. There is new software to deal with it, but I have not seen reviews of it yet.

The large stores seem to have longer waits than the small stores according to the empirical data I see on the blogs. I have my name in a couple of local stores that don't mind me being on the list in a couple of places simultaneously. Only one place, Ritz Camera said that Nikon wasn't delivering any 800Es. That appears to be wrong based on the reply here.
Thanks again to all for the information.
Page 5  of  5
1 2 3 4 5
Tell The World!