• Gear
  • Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Shots The Dgrin Challenges Entry Thread DSS #97 (The eyes have it!)

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Page 1  of  2
1 2
Old Feb-21-2012, 09:40 AM
JAG is offline JAG OP
Photomaniac
Entry Thread DSS #97 (The eyes have it!)
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #97

Welcome to Round #97 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member.

It will run from Monday, February 20, 2012 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8) on through Monday, March 5, 2012 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8).

***** Please note the time change. ******

The topic ready for your interpretation: The eyes have it!

Lets see come creativity here! The eyes are the focus but your interpretation is the key. Whether it be human, animal, vegetable or mineral, lets see what you can do!

There are no editing restrictions in this round.

Your Judge:
1 round 72 Hour Public Vote.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page:
DSS #97 Entry Gallery

Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules.
Old Feb-22-2012, 10:09 AM
dnie is offline dnie
Major grins
Love this one!

My SmugMug
Old Feb-26-2012, 09:16 PM
PappyRoot is offline PappyRoot
Major grins
I just took a look at the gallery and I know who will be getting my votes so far. Great job everyone. I sure hope there are more entries. This is a great theme for a challenge.
My flickr Account
Old Feb-28-2012, 12:10 PM
Jenn is offline Jenn
Major grins
I finally got a chance to take some photos of my 3 yr old granddaughter. She actually posed for me, so I've actually got one or two images of her where she wasn't moving... I'm not really a 'people' photographer, but I think I got a good shot of her for a change! LOL
Old Mar-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Jeffro is online now Jeffro
I'd rather be shooting...
I had a vision right off the bat, it took awhile, but I got 'er done.
Old Mar-03-2012, 07:44 AM
Moving Pictures is offline Moving Pictures
Bokeh, Dano
I can't seem to delete the upload I made last night. The other half has a broken leg, and I figured I'd throw something up there in case I couldn't come back with a better image. And now I realize, I shouldn'ta thrown that image up there ...
Old Mar-03-2012, 01:38 PM
dnie is offline dnie
Major grins
Only the Mods can delete something loaded to the gallery. You just need to go in and edit the caption to read "Please Delete" and they will remove it.

My SmugMug
Old Mar-05-2012, 08:37 PM
I'd still like to see the comments in the entry thread scaled back until after voting, but it is what it is I guess. Good luck everyone, there are some real interesting shots entered.
Old Mar-05-2012, 08:45 PM
DeuceFour is offline DeuceFour
Livin' The Dream
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
I'd still like to see the comments in the entry thread scaled back until after voting, but it is what it is I guess. Good luck everyone, there are some real interesting shots entered.
What is there to scale back?
Old Mar-06-2012, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceFour View Post
What is there to scale back?
The comments in the entry thread.....I personally would rather the commenting (good or bad) wait until after the voting so as not to potentially influence the decision of others. I hold my comments until after the results are in.
Old Mar-07-2012, 04:57 AM
SAMBALAM is offline SAMBALAM
Big grins
My quick thought is that I love the comments. I don't know if they sway my vote one way or the other because I like what I like and I vote accordingly. Also, yes this is a "contest" but I use it more for working on my creativity and expanding my skills. If I win that is nice, but I get much more out of the comments and how I can make my work better. If we waited to comment until after the contest was over, I feel like people would not go back and therefore, we would not have the opportunity to make ourselves better. My suggestion, if there is a strong feeling towards this, would be to keep the comments hidden until the voting comes out and then reveal them when the results are revealed.
Old Mar-07-2012, 05:32 AM
Like I said, personal preference, I see some pics get absolutely no comments, while others do. Not that this does influence anyone, but it seems like it could. I just choose to wait until the votes are in, then I can give my comments, good or bad, without any chance of swaying someone one way or the other.
Old Mar-07-2012, 07:36 AM
endurodog is offline endurodog
Major grins
The whole dynamics of the challanges are interesting. Not good nor bad, but interesting. The comments and interactions are part of that. It has been intriguing as a newbe to see the whole process. Still a great experince overall that has me stretching the way I look at things.
Old Mar-07-2012, 07:56 AM
ghinson is offline ghinson
pǝuɹnʇdn
As a participant, I'd much rather get comments than votes.
Old Mar-07-2012, 09:47 AM
lkbart is offline lkbart
Wandering in left field~

I also hadn't thought about it before, but I can't remember a comment that has made me not vote for a shot I liked, but there have been some comments that have made me re-look at a photo & there's a few that I've voted for after that second look that would not otherwise have gotten my vote.
Old Mar-07-2012, 12:43 PM
JAG is offline JAG OP
Photomaniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMBALAM View Post
My quick thought is that I love the comments. I don't know if they sway my vote one way or the other because I like what I like and I vote accordingly. Also, yes this is a "contest" but I use it more for working on my creativity and expanding my skills. If I win that is nice, but I get much more out of the comments and how I can make my work better. If we waited to comment until after the contest was over, I feel like people would not go back and therefore, we would not have the opportunity to make ourselves better. My suggestion, if there is a strong feeling towards this, would be to keep the comments hidden until the voting comes out and then reveal them when the results are revealed.
You have hit the nail on the head with this with the exception of the 'contest' part. If you have noticed we do not call them contests. We call them "Challenges". A Challenge is personal, it is to challenge you to improve on your own work. Thus commenting is a valuable source of this challenge to learn.

In a challenge the focus is learning, which is the meat of life and the prize is just gravy.

A contest is focused on winning only, which is self absorb pride and causes those who lose to think they are not worthy and become envious or majorly disappointed.

Now my preference is to participate in a challenge where I can be fed and even if I miss the gravy I am full and content.
Old Mar-07-2012, 06:34 PM
Aspecto5 is offline Aspecto5
FHO!
Been a while since I've entered in the challenges. I miss the day where we used to generate a thread where everyone put up there fav 5 or 10 images with some feedback included. Seems like there's a lot less feedback on images in the gallery too. For myself, I'd say not to be shy and give me a full critique on my image. That's what I'm here for. A pat on the back doesn't help me learn. Ideas and different perspectives on what I could've done to give my image that little extra punch!!! Don't worry about hurting my feelings, I can take it!! :)

Nelson Lehner
Dreamin' of a resolution!:D
Old Mar-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinson View Post
As a participant, I'd much rather get comments than votes.
Me too, I welcome the comments, good or bad. I try to give feedback, good or bad, after each challenge I participate in. I just hold mine until after the voting, unless someone posts a pic asking for comments, prior to submitting it to the entry gallery.

Here to learn and improve.
Old Mar-09-2012, 09:57 PM
Livin' The Dream
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspecto5 View Post
I miss the day where we used to generate a thread where everyone put up there fav 5 or 10 images with some feedback included. Seems like there's a lot less feedback on images in the gallery too.
Yeah I miss those days too.. I think it used to be a lot better back in the day when we had judges. Seems like there was always a lot more comments and feedback then.
Old Mar-09-2012, 10:12 PM
Livin' The Dream
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Nelson View Post
Wow, I waited and went back to read the prophetic words by Jeffro. What a let down....seriously? That's your best ensight for this community?

My favorite was accusing me of plagiarism without any thought to it.... "HEY SHE'S A WITCH!, BURN HER TO THE STAKE!
If there is a shot out there like what came to my minds eye, I've never seen it.... petty so petty.

And for the love of god, if something doesn't work for you, try to suggest how to over come that technical flaw that bugs you about this or that... oh wait... thats right, you have no IDEA how, you just want it fixed to your liking.

seriously, your comments are never welcome on one of my entries again. PERIOD.
Yeah Im gonna have to agree with Aaron on this one.. Not one of Jeffro's comments added anything to help anyones photography.. Let me sum it up.. "One of many, thats a bad thing" "It Didn't grab me" Wow thanks for all that amazing feedback!
Tell The World!