• Gear
  • Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Support SmugMug Support Portrait oriented quicktime movies (.mov) not auto-sizing

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Old Jan-09-2012, 04:56 PM
Alex_K is offline Alex_K OP
Major grins
Portrait oriented quicktime movies (.mov) not auto-sizing
I have started uploading iPhone movies to my site. I do this pulling them off my phone to my PC just by the cable and then uploading to my site.

Landscape oriented movies are working fine and when you click on them they auto-size to fill your screen width (for example: http://www.knoppermann.com/Various/R...5047&k=DhjMc82). But portrait-oriented videos is another matter entirely. Quicktime on my PC seems to have identified that the video should be oriented portrait and has correctly done this - and then the video has been uploaded to smugmug in this portrait orientation here: http://www.knoppermann.com/Various/R...4175&k=4BPpSLH

But clicking on the video doesnt then auto-size it and in order to see the full video you need to manually select 'web' size.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a limitation?
Old Jan-09-2012, 05:59 PM
gluwater is offline gluwater
SmugMug Technical Account Manager
Hi Alex! It looks like we're auto sizing the video based on the browser width and not also on the height. I've reported this as a bug. Thanks for pointing it out to us!
nickwphoto
Old Jan-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Alex_K is offline Alex_K OP
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluwater View Post
Hi Alex! It looks like we're auto sizing the video based on the browser width and not also on the height. I've reported this as a bug. Thanks for pointing it out to us!
No problem! Happy to help SmugMug improve! How can I find out or be notified when bugs are fixed? Is there a forum or blog?

Cheers,
Alex
Old Jan-10-2012, 01:31 AM
rainforest1155 is offline rainforest1155
with a Heroes touch
We use our news blog (in specific the release notes keyword) for that:
http://news.smugmug.com/

look on the bright side
http://www.SebastianHosche.com
Old Aug-16-2012, 06:25 PM
Souwalker is offline Souwalker
Major grins
Is this fixed? Not sure if this is related but I just posted a thread about the same issue I am having. My wife used her iPhone 4S to video my daugher's open mic. I also used a usb cable and move that file to my PC drive. She posted the video on FB and the orientation (portrait) was correct.

However when I upload the same video into one of my gallery to share, the video is displayed and played backed in landscape (horizontal).

I can't work out how to fix this.

Rgds
Patrick
Old Aug-17-2012, 04:30 AM
rainforest1155 is offline rainforest1155
with a Heroes touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souwalker View Post
Is this fixed? Not sure if this is related but I just posted a thread about the same issue I am having. My wife used her iPhone 4S to video my daugher's open mic. I also used a usb cable and move that file to my PC drive. She posted the video on FB and the orientation (portrait) was correct.

However when I upload the same video into one of my gallery to share, the video is displayed and played backed in landscape (horizontal).
Patrick,
This doesn't sound like the issue reported in this thread (which appears to be resolved if you look at the links from the OP. Please contact our HelpDesk with details.

look on the bright side
http://www.SebastianHosche.com
Tell The World!  
Tags
.mov , iphone , video