Options

Nikkor 105mm/1.8 & D300

jersmithjersmith Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited December 10, 2011 in Cameras
I have a Nikkor 105mm 1.8 lens from back in the mid-80's that I just pulled out of an old camera bag. Beautiful lens back in the day and probably still today. I know that it won't auto focus but will it do metering? Can I use aperture priority? Not sure what functions will work with it on my D300.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    brianbbrianb Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2011
    I'm jealous! Should work great on the D300. Go into the Non-CPU Lens data menu item, enter the focal lens (105) and max aperture (1.8), and then select it when the lens is mounted, and you should be good to go. I have one of the programmable buttons set to select Non-CPU Lens, as I have several AI lenses, makes it easy to switch.

Brian
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2011
    Thanks Brian, how do i get to the Non-CPU data menu?
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2011
    Nothing for sale.
  • Options
    brianbbrianb Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited December 10, 2011
    It's under Setup Menu → Non-CPU lens data. For the button, I have it assigned to: Controls (f5) → Assign Preview button → Preview + command dials → Choose non-CPU lens number (could also be assigned to f4 Assign FUNC button).

Hope that helps!
    Brian
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2011
    Thanks Brian! I also pulled out my Nikon D300 operating manual by David Busch and have gotten it figured out. Now to take some photos.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2011
    It's a bit tough to nail focus on the D300, but it's SWEET on a D700! You get these extra little indicator lights that tell you which way to turn for focus, it's awesome. Just something to look forward to, if you plan on upgrading ever. The 105 1.8 is certainly a gem and I wouldn't part with it if I were you! :-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum