Options

Nikon 50mm 1.8G

insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
edited June 21, 2011 in Cameras
Well, I picked one yesterday, got to play with. tell me what ya'll think..

100% crops. Focus at near infinity wide open.
i-6F2786R-X3.jpg

vs

i-57vB3KK-X3.jpg

Bokeh
i-cMKGkvD-L.jpg

VS
i-GfgkcR9-L.jpg

inevitable cat photo
i-qmPk7FN-L.jpg

...And more samples...

Focus speed video

Comments

• Options
    kyipkyip Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 8, 2011
    Not sure what I should be looking at in the first 2 shots but the last 2 shots in the link (red/pink flowers and the cat) are fantastic!
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2011
    kyip wrote: »
    Not sure what I should be looking at in the first 2 shots but the last 2 shots in the link (red/pink flowers and the cat) are fantastic!

The first two is the difference between the AF-D and the G version. The second shows the deference in bokeh. The last is the inevitable cat photo.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator
    edited June 8, 2011
    bokeh's better in the G vs. D in that wind chime shot. Neither of the first two shots look in focus to me.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2011
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Neither of the first two shots look in focus to me.
    forget to mention that was a 100% crops... the G looks significantly better. I was trying to test focus at near infinity wide open.
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2011
    OK, that helps. The IQ seems to be a bit better at 100%.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,806 moderator
    edited June 8, 2011
    Yes, the "G" looks "crisper" and the bokeh of the "G" looks less busy. I'd say it's a keeper. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    CoryUTCoryUT Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2011
    Thanks for posting this! I just recently picked up the D and am trying to decide if it's worth the extra $80 to go swap it for the G.
    Daily Shot
    My Photographic Adventures

Nikon D7000 | 10-20 | 50 | 55-200
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2011
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited June 19, 2011
    One downside of the "G" lens is that without an aperture ring, if you want to use the lens with for example a Bellows for macro shots, you have to fit the lens to the body first to set your aperture electronically, switch off the body and remove the lens, then fit the bellows to the body and refit the lens to the bellows (same if you want to change the aperture during your macro shoot). With a "D" lens this doesn't occur as you can set the aperture at will.

Carpy
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2011
    I just bought the 50 1.8 G a week ago and have tested it at three weddings already.

I LOVE IT.

But, let me caveat, that I'm not really a fan of 50mm as a focal length to begin with. Honestly, for my work as a wedding and portrait photographer, I'd much prefer a two-camera setup with a 35 1.4 and 85 1.4, or something like that.

However, I still felt like I should cover the 50mm range at a fast aperture, because sometimes an f/2.8 zoom just doesn't cut it. I tested and considered the Nikon 50 1.4's, and the Sigma 50 1.4 HSM, but just couldn't justify the price tag for how much I used it. The news of a new 50 1.8 was VERY exciting for me, and I bought one as soon as I could.

So anyways, knowing that, I gotta say that I think this lens is a gem. It's sharp, but more importantly compared to the AF-D, it's sharpness is not veiled by a faint haze, nor a purple fringe.

Most notably, to me at least, is the snappier, more accurate focusing. Argue what you will about the speed of AF-D versus AF-S, but from my experience the AF-S primes are downright uncanny at locking focus in low light, and that's all that matters to me.

All in all, it's a GREAT lens and the price lets me "save" a couple hundred bucks to put towards a 35 prime and an 85 prime. Now, if Nikon comes out with a new affordable prime in either of those lengths, I'll have a SERIOUS dilema on my hands... I dunno how I'd ever be able to decide between an 85mm f/1.8 AFS-G or an 85mm f/1.4 AFS-G

;-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2011
    I just bought the 50 1.8 G a week ago and have tested it at three weddings already.

I LOVE IT.

But, let me caveat, that I'm not really a fan of 50mm as a focal length to begin with. Honestly, for my work as a wedding and portrait photographer, I'd much prefer a two-camera setup with a 35 1.4 and 85 1.4, or something like that.

However, I still felt like I should cover the 50mm range at a fast aperture, because sometimes an f/2.8 zoom just doesn't cut it. I tested and considered the Nikon 50 1.4's, and the Sigma 50 1.4 HSM, but just couldn't justify the price tag for how much I used it. The news of a new 50 1.8 was VERY exciting for me, and I bought one as soon as I could.

So anyways, knowing that, I gotta say that I think this lens is a gem. It's sharp, but more importantly compared to the AF-D, it's sharpness is not veiled by a faint haze, nor a purple fringe.

Most notably, to me at least, is the snappier, more accurate focusing. Argue what you will about the speed of AF-D versus AF-S, but from my experience the AF-S primes are downright uncanny at locking focus in low light, and that's all that matters to me.

All in all, it's a GREAT lens and the price lets me "save" a couple hundred bucks to put towards a 35 prime and an 85 prime. Now, if Nikon comes out with a new affordable prime in either of those lengths, I'll have a SERIOUS dilema on my hands... I dunno how I'd ever be able to decide between an 85mm f/1.8 AFS-G or an 85mm f/1.4 AFS-G

;-)

=Matt=

Oh, no, watch out for the 24-70 2.8 brigade! They might call you a troll for saying that!

I cannot agree more, this lens is truly a landmark for 50mms!
    Although I am a 35mm and well 105mm guy, this lens is so enjoyable to use. I think I might just become a 50mm guy too.
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2011
    I just picked mine up from the local shop. Now to go and play with it. I like what I saw in the early reports and specs and wanted the AF-S option for quite operation during videos. The aspherical element always seems to add quality in captures in the digital realm.
    Early results showing good
    f1.8 1/500 ISO100 Straight out of the camera
    i-LvfDNwv-L.jpg
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    insanefred wrote: »
    Oh, no, watch out for the 24-70 2.8 brigade! They might call you a troll for saying that!

I cannot agree more, this lens is truly a landmark for 50mms!
    Although I am a 35mm and well 105mm guy, this lens is so enjoyable to use. I think I might just become a 50mm guy too.
    Yeah, I wish Nikon would make a new 105mm f/1.8 AFS. I'd buy THAT in a heartbeat, for sure...

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2011
    Yeah, I wish Nikon would make a new 105mm f/1.8 AFS. I'd buy THAT in a heartbeat, for sure...

=Matt=

not quite a f/1.8 but close enough. http://nikonrumors.com/2011/06/10/nikon-af-s-105mm-f2-lens-patent.aspx/
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2011
    insanefred wrote: »
    I guess I would settle for f/2 and VR instead of f/1.8 without VR.

Judging by the size of the 105 f/2.8 VR macro, I'm hoping that an f/2 non-macro isn't TOO much larger. The 105 f/2 DC isn't very large at all, so that's good news...

Thanks for the tip! I haven't been on top of @nikonrumors lately, it's the peak of wedding season right now. :-(

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2011
    I guess I would settle for f/2 and VR instead of f/1.8 without VR.

Judging by the size of the 105 f/2.8 VR macro, I'm hoping that an f/2 non-macro isn't TOO much larger. The 105 f/2 DC isn't very large at all, so that's good news...

Thanks for the tip! I haven't been on top of @nikonrumors lately, it's the peak of wedding season right now. :-(

=Matt=

The new patent doesn't show any VR group. It looks like just a copy of the old one.
  • Options
    borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    We got ours; so far it's been pretty popular. Great lens for the money!!
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • Options
    rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    Here are a couple pics taken with the D7000 and 50 f/1.8G

Ron

DSC5149-XL.jpg

DSC5147-XL.jpg
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95