• Gear
  • Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Support Legacy SmugMug Customization Secrets to getting customization help on dgrin quickly

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Page 1  of  2
1 2
Old Jan-31-2010, 08:35 AM
jfriend is offline jfriend OP
Scripting dude-volunteer
Secrets to getting customization help on dgrin quickly
If you are asking for help with your customization, there are a number of things you can do to make it more likely you get quick help. I read thousands of requests for help. I respond to some of them - I don't immediately respond to others. Here are some of the things that help you get a quicker response:

1) Describe your problem clearly
2) Include links to specific pages on your site
3) Tell us what scope you want the change applied to
4) Be very specific
5) Tell us what your trying to accomplish overall
6) Google is your friend
7) Be diligent and careful when apply changes

Here's a little more description of what each of these points means:

1) Describe your problem clearly.

Provide a clear description of what's wrong or what you want help with and provide a clear description of how you want it to look (that's different than how it looks now).

If I can't understand what your issue is with a quick read of your post, I'm likely to leave the post for someone else - hoping someone else understands the issue.

When describing your problem, remember we don't know your site at all. We've never seen it before.

For example, posts like "my site is all broken now" don't tell us what you think is wrong. Most of the time, you're only going to get an answer back that says: "can you please be more specific in describing what's wrong and what you want it to look like".

2) Include links to specific pages in your site.

Every person's site is potentially different. Your previous customization and your choice of themes makes it likely that an answer to any question is unique for your site. That means that if you we don't have a link to your site, we CANNOT give an answer that we know will work on your site and further any answer we provide would just be a guess.

I hate to guess on answers. It's incredibly inefficient and it's easy for guesses to be wrong. Most of the time, I will not guess. If you don't post a link to at least one relevant page in your site, I will usually NOT answer your question (I will probably just ask for a link to your site or go on to help someone else).

The best thing to do is to put a link to your site in your dgrin signature so it's always there in every dgrin post. Then, even in a thread where you originally posted a link to your site, I don't have to go scrolling back through the thread trying to find it - it's always there in every post.

Further, if your question is about a specific page in your site (e.g. a specific gallery, category, sub-category, etc...), post a link to that specific page. I will not spend a lot of time looking through your site trying to find the page you're asking about. There are lots of people who need help, I do this as a volunteer and have limited time to help so I'd rather move on and help someone who makes it easy to help them.

3) Tell us what scope you want a change to apply to

If you're asking for a change (homepage, gallery page, category, gallery, etc...), we need to know if you want that change to apply only to one particular page or to all pages like that in your site or to all pages in your site. For example, if you are asking how to change the background in a specific category, we need to know if you want the background changed only for that one category, for all categories, for all categories and sub-categories, for all categories, sub-categories and galleries or for all pages in your site. The answer we provide is different depending upon that information.

4) Be very specific

If you want a new banner, a new color or you want a new background, give a link to the new banner graphic, give us the color code, gives us a link to a new background. You are most likely to get a perfect answer that works perfectly the first time with no additional requests for help needed if you give us all the information we need in order to give you the exact and complete answer. When image sizes are involved, I won't even attempt the answer until I see the actual image you are trying to use because the specific CSS depends upon the image and it's incredibly inefficient for me to give you part of the information and then use several more posts later in the thread to fill in the details.

5) Tell us what you're trying to accomplish overall.

I find that it's not uncommon that when someone is trying to implement a specific design, they run into an issue with one part of it. They post for help about how to do one specific thing. We get into a long conversation about it. I finally ask, what are you actually trying to accomplish overall. When they answer and I finally understand what the overall goal is, I'm able to help them find a much better way to accomplish their goal.

6) Google is your friend

Most people, I think, would rather find an answer on their own rather than ask a question and wait for an answer. Google can be an awesome tool for this. For example, yesterday there was a question about how does one pick a color code to use in CSS. A Google search for "css color code" finds a bunch of helpful links, nearly all of which provide the answer. I realize you can't solve everything on Google, but simple and general questions will find an answer on Google.

Oh, and did you know that you can use Google to search just dgrin. If you put "site:dgrin.com" (without the quotes) at the end of your Google search, then Google will just return search results on dgrin.

7) Be diligent and careful when applying changes.

Both CSS and Javascript are computer languages. Computers are dumb and thus only understand a computer language when one follows the syntax rules of that language exactly. That means that when you are copying a suggested change into your customization from a dgrin post, you have to be very diligent about applying that change. Make sure you get every piece of the change (including the first and last characters of it). Make sure you apply it in exactly the right place in your CSS or javascript. If you modify the change in any way, make sure you know how to modify it legally without introducing errors.

Subtle syntax errors can be next to impossible for the novice to figure out by themselves. Do your best not to make them.

Oh, and never, never, never use a word processor to work on your customizations. Word processors these days like to do all sorts of fancy formatting like (match left facing quotes with right facing quotes). Though the text will look nearly identical and you didn't make this change on purpose, it will NOT work after this has been done. ONLY use a plain text editor when modifying your customizations. On windows, use something like notepad, wordpad or for a really, really nice free text editor, get Notepad++.
Always include a link to your site when posting a question
Old Feb-01-2010, 09:58 PM
denisegoldberg is online now denisegoldberg
Major grins
Excellent post! Thanks for writing this up; I'm sure that I will be referring people here often.

--- Denise

Musings & ramblings at http://denisegoldberg.blogspot.com, quick posts in google+
Old Feb-02-2010, 04:13 AM
Andy is offline Andy
Bicameral
Quote:
Originally Posted by denisegoldberg
Excellent post! Thanks for writing this up; I'm sure that I will be referring people here often.

--- Denise

John,

thank you!
Old May-01-2010, 02:56 AM
soccermom103 is offline soccermom103
Big grins
Breadcrumb "galleries" script update - bug fixes
I have put the script into my botom javascript, but I can not get the
galleries page link to take me to the galleries page, it takes me to my homepage.

www.allstarspics.com
Old May-01-2010, 04:26 AM
Allen is online now Allen
"tweak 'til it squeaks"
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccermom103 View Post
I have put the script into my botom javascript, but I can not get the
galleries page link to take me to the galleries page, it takes me to my homepage.

www.allstarspics.com
You have none of the code that creates a galleries page to go to.
See this tutor.
http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/2160039
Customization FAQ Banner/Navbar/Slideshow Tutor
Old Apr-19-2011, 11:39 AM
crystal7481 is offline crystal7481
Beginner grinner
My site is crystalthompson.smugmug.com. I want to create a navi bar that has links for a contact page and a princing page. I have a pro acct and would love any help !
Thanks
Old Apr-19-2011, 11:43 AM
Scripting dude-volunteer
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal7481 View Post
My site is crystalthompson.smugmug.com. I want to create a navi bar that has links for a contact page and a princing page. I have a pro acct and would love any help !
Thanks
Since this is the third time you've posted a new question about this in the last 10 minutes, it might be worth helping you understand how to use dgrin a bit. First, please only post your question once. I've already answered your first post here. All future correspondence on this topic should be done by using the reply button to the messages in that first thread where you posted, not here and not in the second post you had on the subject.

Second, if you aren't sure where you've posted, you can always click on the "Quick Links" drop-down in the upper right corner and select subscribed threads. That will shows you all the threads that you've posted in and which once have new responses in them. You can find your previous postings and look for any answers to them there. That's how all of us who spend a lot of time on dgrin manage our dgrin communication.

Third, if you are trying to reply to a specific message, use the reply button in that specific post. That will connect your reply with the thread that you posted in so those that are helping you will see the response in the proper context. If you post somewhere else, those who are helping you may not see the response.
Old Apr-19-2011, 06:31 PM
"tweak 'til it squeaks"
Here's were to find all your previous posts. Click your name.
Attached Images

Old Apr-30-2011, 08:32 AM
John660 is offline John660
Beginner grinner
Great first post for a newbie like me to read!
Old Jun-16-2011, 09:19 PM
FamlyRat is offline FamlyRat
Beginner grinner
Awesomely helpful! Thanks! I'm a CSS newbie & having gone through everything d'grin offers I'm totally confused - too much info! All I want to do is have a single large photo on my home page with my site name on the left and nav button for galleries at the bottom (like moon river photography page). Have done some tweaking with help before & it looks UGLY. Can you help at all?
http://jkpublishing.smugmug.com/

Jax
Old Oct-24-2011, 05:06 PM
sc00p is offline sc00p
Little Boss
Centering a customized header
Can someone point in the right direction.

I am a SmugMug newbie

Trying to place different headers by category. Followed the tutorial at
http://dgrin.smugmug.com/Tutorials/S...32865_xBf6nK/1
All worked well apart from the alignment

I am trying to have the headers remain centered no matter how wide the user makes the window

here is my problem www.littleboss.smugmug.com

Thanks for your time

sc00p
Old Dec-02-2011, 12:25 PM
melpd is offline melpd
Beginner grinner
this helped me alot. thanks for sharing.
Old Dec-17-2011, 02:07 PM
urbancowboy0914 is offline urbancowboy0914
Major grins
How about, Post 1 question at a time!!

Photographer: Katherine Stathes
Web Designer: USMC Cpl Coffman, Nicholas J
http://www.stathesquo.smugmug.com
Old Dec-28-2011, 05:10 PM
gunnerholmes is offline gunnerholmes
Beginner grinner
I'm a newbie on this forum and really need some basic help. Trying to follow the directions on the SmugMug help pages I am stymied because I cannot locate this, "For your customization to show up in a gallery, the hide owner option in Customize Gallery MUST be toggled to no, also, the appearance option should be toggled to custom." The part I cannot find is where it says the appearance option should be toggled to custom. I have looked high and low to no avail.

Help before I drown......Puleeze.
Old Dec-28-2011, 05:25 PM
"tweak 'til it squeaks"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerholmes View Post
I'm a newbie on this forum and really need some basic help. Trying to follow the directions on the SmugMug help pages I am stymied because I cannot locate this, "For your customization to show up in a gallery, the hide owner option in Customize Gallery MUST be toggled to no, also, the appearance option should be toggled to custom." The part I cannot find is where it says the appearance option should be toggled to custom. I have looked high and low to no avail.

Help before I drown......Puleeze.
On the gallery settings page.
Appearance set it to "Custom". "Smugmug" hides your customizations.

Hide owner, set to NO. YES hides your customizations.
Old Dec-28-2011, 08:34 PM
Beginner grinner
Newby needs help
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
On the gallery settings page.
Appearance set it to "Custom". "Smugmug" hides your customizations.

Hide owner, set to NO. YES hides your customizations.
I do not have that capability on my page. Please see my screen shot.
Attached Images

Old Dec-28-2011, 10:17 PM
Scripting dude-volunteer
Quote:
I do not have that capability on my page. Please see my screen shot.
Is your gallery in a community? If so, you may have to remove it from the community to get this option to show.
Old Dec-29-2011, 08:42 AM
Beginner grinner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfriend View Post
Is your gallery in a community? If so, you may have to remove it from the community to get this option to show.
No, my gallery is my own Pro Gallery at
http://georgeholmes.smugmug.com
Old Dec-29-2011, 09:44 AM
"tweak 'til it squeaks"
Quote:
No, my gallery is my own Pro Gallery at
http://georgeholmes.smugmug.com
Can you post a direct link to the gallery?
Old Dec-29-2011, 01:26 PM
Beginner grinner
Is this what you mean by a direct link:

http://smu.gs/tucdzl

Last edited by gunnerholmes; Dec-29-2011 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Wrong URL posted
Page 1  of  2
1 2
Tell The World!