Options

Looking for outdoor lighting suggestions...

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited November 27, 2010 in People
I posted my query in weddings since it's for an e-shoot, but for those of you who spend more time here in people and don't cross into Pretty Pretty Princess land as much ... please feel free to chime in! Looking for any and all ideas. Thanks in advance! :thumb

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1507745#post1507745

Comments

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2010
    I would try three speed lights. One on them, the second as some type of kicker to get some depth and the third raking the bkg. You could get a neat effect with one just keep it high nad coming in over the females shoulder.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2010
    I agree. I'd say at least 3 lights, one per person and at least one on the B/G, to make it more 3D and add depth. If you can afford it - plus 1-2 more for hair/rim, at least for the bride (nobody's interested in groom anyways;-)
    Very cool location!thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2010
    You might want to look at The Photographer's Ephemeris http://stephentrainor.com/tools/ AKtse told me about it and it was pretty accurate the one time I used it to get the lay of the light. The

The Photographer’s Ephemeris (TPE) is a free application for Mac/Windows/Linux designed for landscape photographers.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2010
    Thank you!! Sadly, 2x speedlights is my maximum at the moment, but I'll see what I can do to use a kicker with the 2nd. ANd thanks for the link, Brad - cool program! I think the issue with this location will be how close the buildings are to each other; the r and l buildings are probably only 16-18ft apart (it's an alley/driveway), and as you can see in the bg of the 2nd shot there's also buildings on the 3rd side - the light just gets blocked.

We'll see if I manage to come up with something or not!
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2010
    This is SERIOUSLY awesome (and helpful!!) - what a great tool. thumb.gif

Here's my alleyway as per the software mentioned above - I fear that those buildings are going to block the late afternoon sun (we'll be shooting from 2pm on Sunday, and sunset is 4.43, I believe), but if a shaft of sunset light finds it's way through there it could be gorgeous....

1104723342_X6KM6-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2010
    Bumpity bump - anybody else?
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    I shoot outside all the time with 1 speedlight. I use ambient for fill and or back light as the occasion requires. I use a 42" softbox on a stand with an sb800. Easy and fast.
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2010
    Yep, I'm with the guys on the three speed lights triggered via radio and using manual settings to control the lighting.
    I do like Zoomer's simple approach since it's all I have to work with at the moment as well....
    Since you only have two lights perhaps a reflector?
    BTW, that is a very cool tool indeed....
    Yo soy Reynaldo