Options

need UDMA CF/SDHC reader

jchinjchin Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
edited September 11, 2010 in Accessories
I need a recommendation for a USB UDMA card reader for CF and SDHC cards (either individually for both in one reader). I need one that is compatible with 16GB Sandisk Extreme III and Kingston ElitePro cards (and soon Transcend 400X cards).

FYI, I bought the Lexar Dual-Slot CF/SDHC USB reader (RW035-001), which is suppose to be UDMA compliant, but it fails to read/format (and sometimes corrupts) my 16GB cards. Sent it back to Lexar and 3 weeks later still no replacement. I cannot wait for them to resolve their issue.

In the interim, I've been using my Kingston 19-in-1 USB reader (FCR-HS219/1). Everything is fine, except it is not UDMA compatible, so downloading the 16GB cards takes a long time.

PS - please do not turn this thread into a "format the card in your camera", as that is not really the issue.

Thank you.
Johnny J. Chin ~ J. Chin Photography
FacebookFlickrSmugMug
SmugMug referral coupon code: ix3uDyfBU6xXs
(use this for a discount off your SmugMug subscription)

Comments

• Options
    canonthencanonthen Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    I am also having the same issues. I thought it was the 16gb Lexar 300x cards I bought a month ago, but I did not consider the card reader to be a problem. I am still having those cards replaced.

How did you rule out the reader to be the problem? I am just curious because I have the same reader for a year now and never had a problem with the 8gb Lexar x233 cards I used in the past (still use them).
    Abraham
    My website
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2010
    I ruled out the reader because those cards have always worked and still work properly in my Kingston 19-in-1 reader as well as my older Belkin reader.

You should call Lexar 888-363-4309 and have it replaced. I believe the know of the issue cause I've read several reviews with people having the same issue.
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2010
    I received the brand new replacement UDMA card reader from Lexar today.
    It has the same issues as the one I sent to them.

The Lexar would write fine to my 16GB Kingston ElitePro CF card, all 15.7GB of images. However, reading back the same files that were written to the card in the Lexar, fails after about 14.9GB worth. Making me NOT trust the Lexar Dual-Slot UDMA reader.

Now for the Sandisk Extreme III 16GB CF card ... it failed similarly. However, I then reformatted the card in my 7D, dump 15.7GB of images onto from my computer and then read them all back just fine. The same worked when I formatted the card in the 5D2.

After a few tests, it failed again during the read from the card. I removed the Lexar reader from the computer and reconnected it with the same CF card, it now read everything again.

I did the same thing with the Kingston cards that failed, they passed after I removed the Lexar reader (again) from the USB port and reinserted.

It seems to fail when the Lexar reader "disappears" for a second from the computer.
    Very odd !!!

So it looks like the current version of the Lexar Dual-Slot UDMA readers have a problem. And I am back in the market hunting for a reliable UDMA USB card reader. :(
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,820 moderator
    edited May 13, 2010
    Try the same tests on another computer, just to rule out that incompatibility.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Try the same tests on another computer, just to rule out that incompatibility.

You might want to look at Hoodman. See reviews and image here at B and H. Hope this helps.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=HOODMAN+UDMA+CF+CARD+READER&N=0&InitialSearch=yes
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    canonthencanonthen Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    Just a late update on my problem:

I called Lexar and sent in the reader. They just sent me a new one. Not glitch since I got a replacement a few months ago.
    Abraham
    My website
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,820 moderator
    edited September 9, 2010
    canonthen wrote: »
    Just a late update on my problem:

I called Lexar and sent in the reader. They just sent me a new one. Not glitch since I got a replacement a few months ago.

Good to know. Thanks for the update.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2010
    Lexar finally replaced mine for a 4th time and this time it worked. This one has a black marker dot placed after the serial number. Looks like they have 2 versions out there.
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    Been using this one for about a year and it's worked flawlessly http://www.amazon.com/Rocketfish-High-Speed-Memory-Card-Reader/dp/B002WECZGO
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2010
    Andy, I wonder how fast is that RocketFish reader.

I've been using this Kingston reader: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00109Y2DQ/onesimus/ and it is fast, but not as fast as the Lexar reader (Kingston is about 10% slower when reading UDMA-compliant CF cards, but very workable and much cheaper).
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2010
    jchin wrote: »

I've been using this Kingston reader: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00109Y2DQ/onesimus/ and it is fast, but not as fast as the Lexar reader (Kingston is about 10% slower when reading UDMA-compliant CF cards, but very workable and much cheaper).
    Dunno, I don't put a stop watch on it.
    But I'm not offloading cards in a race - event guys and folks that do 1000s in a shoot every day would care more than me, for sure.

It just works :)
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2010
    I've got the RocketFish too. I don't know it actual speed but it is way, way faster than then old non-UDMA reader I had before it.
    jchin wrote: »
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2010
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    I've got the RocketFish too. I don't know it actual speed but it is way, way faster than then old non-UDMA reader I had before it.

Another RocketFish user here. No problems whatsoever thumb.gif And I love it's compact, no cord design.
    Randy