Options

spyder lights

DeaconDeacon Registered Users Posts: 239 Major grins
edited July 3, 2010 in Accessories
This may not be the right forum but do any of you have experience with the td5 spyder lights? Florescent lighting daylight balanced. Portraits and product photography. I have strobes but looking for something that is "what you see is what you get" to help me understand light setup. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Deacon

Comments

• Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2010
    I have a TD5. I love the color of the lights but as far as learning about light set up this isn't the product for that. They are best with a softbox and you need to understand light to use it well. You actually need 2nd source of light with the TD5 - a relector or fill to avoid shadow. Modifiers need to be in close to the subject too.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    DeaconDeacon Registered Users Posts: 239 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2010
    Thanks
    A friend's father is selling 2 medium td5's, kit so they have stands and softboxes. I do have reflectors etc for modifying light and I would use them primarily for a small in home studio where close is good and for onsite lighting for product photography.
    I am going to shoot a line of moisturizers, creams and candles the middle of the month and thought these would be the ticket for that. I do understand there is not a lot of light but there appear to be 2 different wattages available for the florescent light bulbs 20/50 W. Which ones are you using?

Also have you tried the strobe bulbs, there is not much information on their website about how they work. Are they triggered by pocket wizard or the like?

Thanks for the information.

Deacon
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2010
    No for product shots
    They are a constant source of light. They dont flash. The temperature of the light is different than for strobes. If you are looking to create a high key light for product - this is not what you want. I have the 50W Westcott bulbs for my spyder light.

Deacon wrote: »
    A friend's father is selling 2 medium td5's, kit so they have stands and softboxes. I do have reflectors etc for modifying light and I would use them primarily for a small in home studio where close is good and for onsite lighting for product photography.
    I am going to shoot a line of moisturizers, creams and candles the middle of the month and thought these would be the ticket for that. I do understand there is not a lot of light but there appear to be 2 different wattages available for the florescent light bulbs 20/50 W. Which ones are you using?

Also have you tried the strobe bulbs, there is not much information on their website about how they work. Are they triggered by pocket wizard or the like?

Thanks for the information.

Deacon
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com