Options

Slot Canyon Guides

r9jacksonr9jackson Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
edited June 6, 2010 in The Big Picture
I have always wanted to shoot in the slot canyons near Page, AZ. I know you have to have Indian guides and want to know if any of you have any recommended companies.

I have heard that some are so crowed with photographer wanna bees that its hard to get a shot. Are there any guides for pro photographers and any idea on prices?

Comments

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    Hi Randy,

I moved this thread to the Big Picture for you. I'm sure someone here will be able to give some personal recommendations. Good luck on your trip!
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2010
    Hopefully Aaron Newman will see this thread. I count him as very experienced on this subject.

Note for Lower Antelope, you don't need a guide. Just show up with your tripod and they will automatically give you a photo tour permit (and charge you for it of course). This gives you full access to Lower for as long as you want.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2010
    Well after reading Bill's post I guess I need to post something. :D

Randy- there are many slot canyons around the Page AZ area with Upper and Lower Antelope Canyon being the most popular. I'll share what I know and my thoughts on each of the canyons I have photographed near Page.

Lower Antelope- by far the easiest to access. The rates have gone up since the last time I was there. It use to be $15 but two weekends ago I had to pay $26 to access the canyon. As Bill said you will receive a photographers pass which gives you up to 4 hours in the canyon and they will usually even allow you to use two hours, leave, and then come back for another two hours provided it is in the same day. There are a couple area where you can get a light tube at particular times of the day and there are more color tones in Lower Antelope than any other canyon. You get everything from yellows, pinks, and even purples depending on time of day and light conditions. I have been in Lower Antelope with almost no else coming through to bother me and when there are tons of people in there. The slow times are actually during the weekends when most people are on Lake Powell or at one of the nearbye National Parks.

Upper Antelope- to cattle canyon is what I call it. This canyon is pretty much always busy. There are several tour companies that provide tours of Upper Antelope and you must have a tour guide for this one. There are two types of tours- the standard tour where they heard you through the canyon like cattle in about 45 minutes or a photo tour where you will get between 3-4 hours in the canyon in a group of 3-8 photographers. I highly recommend Overland Canyon Tours. I also recommend asking for Charlie or Jackson to lead you. Both Charlie and Jackson are experienced photographers and are great to work with. They will provide you with as much or as little help as you desire. Upper is an easy walk through canyon with a few large room areas to get the classic light tube shots. As you move further south the emphasis becomes more on positive and negative space, abstract shapes, and color tones. The photo tour through Upper Antelope is $50 per person.

Canyon X- Overland Canyon Tours is the only company permitted to take people through Canyon X. Their photo tour is about 6 hours and costs $160 as it includes transportation, lunch, and guaranteed that you will be one of a maximum 6 people to view the canyon that day. Canyon X is a series of three small slot canyons that offer everything Lower and Upper offer including tones, colors, and light tubes.

Additional information on slot canyons can be found here: http://www.americansouthwest.net/slot_canyons/index.html
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion