Options

SOLD: Novatron 4 head pack system

codiac2600codiac2600 Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
edited February 23, 2010 in The Kitchen Sink
With the new studio and all the fancy expensive things going into it these have no room anymore :( I typically bring these lights out to locations that I need 4 heads and consistent power. I've had them since I first got into lighting in 2007. Purchased used, "well" used, and have dings and scratches and signs of wear and tear.

The bulbs are in excellent condition and all modeling lamps work great and the light is very consistent. This is an amazing kit for someone looking to get into portrait work as you'll have 4 heads flowing from a pack.

Shipping on these will be a pain so I prefer if you live in the chicago-land area we could setup a time to meet. Normally I include shipping but on this I'd have to guesstimate the shipping between $50-$75 via UPS.

I'm looking for $300 for the kit which includes 4 heads, one pack with connections for 4 heads, four light stands, and umbrellas.

I don't know the exact model of the system but it is a Novatron kit and comes in a massive hard case with wheels as well.

I'll accept a reasonable offer as well.

428970281_Kgpun-L.jpg

428973068_ap8qp-L.jpg
-Chris :)
http://simplyphotostudio.com
http://decayedbeauty.com

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 8, 2010
    I admit I'm not up on these things, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but this isn't a Nikon specific lighting package, and as such, I'm moving this to Kitchen Sink thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    HyperiateHyperiate Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited February 14, 2010
    Sent a PM

Cheers,
    Tom B
  • Options
    ARKreationsARKreations Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    The photos, location, and user name look exactly like the one "sold" here over a year ago (with a complete description). Is there something else to add to the story?ne_nau.gif
    Ross - ARKreations Photography
    http://www.arkreations.com
    Nikon D700 | D300 | D80 | SB-800(x2) | SB-600(x2)
    Nikkor Lenses: 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | 70-300 VR
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2010
    The photos, location, and user name look exactly like the one "sold" here over a year ago (with a complete description). Is there something else to add to the story?ne_nau.gif

Story?
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    I think the story is that according to the pentax forum you sold these lights December 8, 2008.

The sideplot is why you know less about the lights now then you did then.
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2010
    Toshido wrote:
    I think the story is that according to the pentax forum you sold these lights December 8, 2008.

The sideplot is why you know less about the lights now then you did then.

... and how you come to have them for sale once again?
    Nikkor Lenses: 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | 70-300 VR
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2010
    Wow... Never knew everyone was a detective of sorts trying to unravel some sort of mystery.

The statement about how I know more or less about the lights now is quite funny because it's a description and not my personal knowledge of the lights. We can't quantify how much I know about the lights from either statement so I won't be subject to that interrogation.

The other detectives questions on how it sold on Pentax forums in 2008 is "who" I sold it to. Did anyone ask themselves why no one responded to the sales thread. Maybe it sold locally? Maybe I had multiple kits? Maybe it sold on ebay? Maybe it sold on another forum? Maybe it sold locally to a really good friend who ended up working with you at nearly every photo opportunity? Did maybe the fact that I own a walk-in studio and have a team of 3 photographers with one of them being the person who locally purchased the lights come up?

Sadly my friend and studio partner is not a dgrin user, but he may be able to enlighten everyone.

Story is the lighting kit was purchased by my friend Jackie, a fellow photographer and business partner, here in rockford. We have shot together over the years working in high school markets, events, weddings and using the lights over the course of time. Now we own a studio together and have a vastly upgraded lighting system with the understanding that we would sell the novatrons in order to have money available to purchase other things.

I know you all didn't mean harm, technically, but it's not good to go around subliminally accusing people of some sort of crime on the internet. These things spread like wild fire and if push came to shove in order to protect my name and business I'd have to use the law and file against this site and persons via libel and slander laws unless they retracted their statements. If you have concerns that could possibly make someone look like they are trying to commit a crime it's always better to ask that person via PM. If you then find that something is up you can blast the page all, "this guy is shady" statements you'd like. Do be warned that if you do blast about someone being shady and you are wrong and that person has enough money he can make your life miserable because libel and slander laws are protect everyone too easily. Heck my monthly insurance covers my professional name, which gives me money to go after someone who is trying to say something bad about myself if it could hurt my image be it locally or globally.

On pentaxforums I was a moderator for many years and the rule in the marketplace is if you aren't directly asking about the item then your post gets removed. Sadly the posts here aren't directly related to the item but more or less directed at myself as someone who is apparently going to take your money and run. Believe me if I wanted the money and run I wouldn't do it on dgrin as this place has had a marketplace for a long while and as such people can usually spot something fishy right off the bat. I won't argue that to someone it may seem fishy with one post almost 3 years old saying it's sold, but then again no one asked me why directly, but made a public interrogation. They instead accused first and honestly never asked the right questions.

I've sold a lot of big ticket items here on dgrin and have had no issues with that in the past and some of those items were on multiple site and they all say "sold" on them at different times depending on when I got around to changing the status of them. Ask first and not assume... a lesson learned from dating!
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2010
    Wow - where to start...
    codiac2600 wrote:
    Wow... Never knew everyone was a detective of sorts trying to unravel some sort of mystery.
    One doesn't have to be Sherlock Holmes to use Google - it's right there for all the world to see using the visible info in the OP. Did you really think a prospective buyer wouldn't want to know more about the merchandise?
    codiac2600 wrote:
    I know you all didn't mean harm, technically, but it's not good to go around subliminally accusing people of some sort of crime on the internet.
    ...or blatantly accusing someone of unsubstantiated criminal behavior...
    There was never any accusation on my part. I stated (and documented) a fact and asked a question. Any subliminal accusation lies purely in your own perception.
    codiac2600 wrote:
    Ask first and not assume...
    And that's exactly what was done.

Good luck selling your lights - I'm no longer interested.
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2010

Only thing I was waiting on was trying to find a way to get the lights to me. But I agree.

Best of luck.
  • Options
    JasonLJasonL Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    Lights
    Pm sent
    So many toy's not enough money !

Nikon D300s. Nikon D40, Nikon FE, Nikon F
    Ansco Ancoset Rangefinder, Rolleiflex TLR Sb800, sb400

Nikon 18-200 VR, nikon 18-55 II, Sigma 10 20 HSM, 50mm f1.8 ai-s, 50mm Non Ai f1.4
  • Options
    HyperiateHyperiate Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    Wow - where to start...
    One doesn't have to be Sherlock Holmes to use Google - it's right there for all the world to see using the visible info in the OP. Did you really think a prospective buyer wouldn't want to know more about the merchandise?
    ...or blatantly accusing someone of unsubstantiated criminal behavior...
    There was never any accusation on my part. I stated (and documented) a fact and asked a question. Any subliminal accusation lies purely in your own perception. And that's exactly what was done.

I bought the lights last night. They are exactly as described and I set them up while I was there to make sure I understood how they worked (and, incidentally, that they did work).

I saw the post in pentaxforums the same night I first posted. I almost sent a PM following up on my first one asking about it, but as I was picking up locally I didn't actually care what the story was

A case of lights isn't a car -- $300 isn't much of a scam, and if you are saying you prefer local pickup then you're doing it wrong anyway. :-)

In any case, the lights are fine and as described both in the pictures here (and in the additional pictures on Pentaxforums that WEREN'T posted here).

Chris was out getting some dinner (sorry I missed you buddy) but I walked through the whole thing with Jackie (I'm glad I read the thread in the car on the way over so I knew who he was!).

Oh, and the case is both very large and very heavy. I mean "my arm is coming out of my shoulder socket" heavy. I wouldn't be able to fly with them without paying an extra $100 for the weight, and I think shipping them for $75 might be a very conservative estimate.

So, in closing, thanks Chris and Jackie, and good luck to everyone in shedding a little more light on the world.

Cheers,
    Tom B
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2010
    I would have bought them weeks ago. In truth the biggest reason I was not interested anymore was I looked into shipping to me (based on weight and dimensions I found elsewhere) and was looking at over $300 for the shipping.
    The rest of the lat breaking information would definitely keep me from buying it unseen though :(

Enjoy the lights.
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    I'd find out the Guide Number for the units first but for 300 dollars, you can't really go wrong for 4 units. They're not mono-lights (at least from what I see) but it looks very useful...Does it have wireless trigger input and a built in light-trigger? I say, good deal to the person who picked it up. I'm betting you can sell it again later when you upgrade again for a similar price.
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    To relieve the concern, I am fairly sure I've met the OP on a few occasions.

If it is such a big deal that someone wants to be a detective, I'll be more then happy to meet with him once again.

Foq.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook