Options

Anyone can know how was this photo made ??

essawy3essawy3 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited November 27, 2009 in Finishing School
I have this photo of my gf's eyes .. i sent it to a friend that knows alot of photoshop to modify it for me .. he did .. but he never wants to tell me how he did it .. "secrets of the trade" he says :P .. but now after my gf seen it she wants me to do alot more of these for her .. i just wanna know how was it made .. any suggestions ? (i think gussian blur was made for the face and dodge and burn for the eyes .. but i still cannot find out how the eyes look that amazing afterwards .. and how did he select only that bluish color to appear?)

here are the photos before and after :

111%201.jpg

222%202.jpg

I appreciate all ur help .. and by the way this is my 1st post in this forum too :)

Comments

• Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2009
    Can you post smaller pictures. These are overwhelming my screen. Way too big.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2009
    Can you post smaller pictures. These are overwhelming my screen. Way too big.

What he said. It's almost impossible to get a feel for what's going on in the photo because you have to scroll all over to see each portion.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2009
    OK... I saved the pics to my desktop and opened them smaller.

First, tell your friend that he's being ridiculous by not sharing how he did this. It's not like you can find this stuff on a million website tutorials on the net. Even on our own Dgrin, there are several tutorials that will show you how to achieve this.

With that said, it looks like he did some skin retouching.. there are several ways to do this, from using Guassian blur to cloning and healing brush. He also desaturated the image and then did some selective coloring. He also sharpened the eyes which is what is giving them the pop you like.

Check the dgrin tutorials. You can learn how to do this yourself and tell your friend to suck an egg.mwink.gif

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2009
    yea sorry about the size .. im uploading the smaller pics and will edit the post right now with the new smaller size photos ..

well i kinda figured out the face smoothening thing by trying out portraiture plug in for photoshop .. i got almost the same result .. but when i masked out the eye it was reddish blue .. i tried alot to make it look like this exact same color but i couldnt .. how exactly can i desaturate the photo then add a color ? and when i sharpen the photo .. do u recommend i use smart sharpen ? or another tool ?
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2009
    Portraiture is great. I use it for skin retouching since it's so much faster than doing it in PS and it yields really good results. I also use it to sharpen eyes. The latest version has a really good masking tool for this but I only do it for photos I run through Portraiture. For other images, I typically use the sharpening sliders in LR. They consolidate a bunch of steps into three sliders.

The trick to sharpening eyes is to only sharpen the actual eyes and lashes, not the entire faces since we typically don't want oversharpened skin. You can do this in PS through layer masks.

As for the coloring, you can again used different adjustment layers... channel mixer, selective color, etc.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited November 26, 2009
    Desaturation of the over all image copied to a second layer, and then a history brush to paint back in the original eye color.

Try to limit your image size posted here on dgrin to a maximum or ~800 pixels on a side. It will be much easier for your viewers so see the image and comment on it.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2009
    i see .. your remarks helped me alot .. i dont have lightroom so i just used the smart sharpen in ps cs4 and it did the trick .. but when i did the history brush thing after the desaturation i had a problem which im sure you all will find stupid :) .. the brush made a noticeable difference between the 2 layers .. is there a way that i can blend them without risking losing the new effect or having to bear some of the old one ? also when i used portraiture i faced the same problem .. i duplicated the original layer .. made a mask .. colored the parts i dont wanna touch in white .. then chose the layer again and modified it .. it all goes well until i face that problem .. how can i blend between the layers without being noticeable even when the photo is viewed in large size .. like the one i posed. that was my biggest problem really .. im sure the guy didnt select the eyes as a layer and modify them cause they look too perfect in the modified photo.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited November 26, 2009
    Use the Opacity slider to blend your two layers - or alter the blend by stepping out of Normal Blend Mode, to Overlay, or Soft Light perhaps. Screen will make things lighter and Multiply will make them darker.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2009
    thank you all for ur help .. i never seen a forum such supportive like this one before :) ..