Options

Animated gif question

scottkwestscottkwest Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
edited June 27, 2010 in SmugMug Support
I have a few time-lapse images as animated gifs. The last batch doesn't work in SmugMug view, while others did. I think that they are small enough that they should.

For example, this one works in the SmugMug view:
http://www.scottwestphotography.com/gallery/7966960_6ENZX#518228365_9wdbh

But this one does not:
http://www.scottwestphotography.com/Landscapes/Vaux-Swifts-2009/9651061_N6Mbg#651160074_QjABC
If you click on the image it animates:
http://www.scottwestphotography.com/Landscapes/Vaux-Swifts-2009/9651061_N6Mbg#694279414_EuKu4-A-LB

It's not a gallery setting - I put a copy of this one into the gallery that works, and it still doesn't animate.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Scott

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2009
    Andy wrote:

I had this problem once before, and it was a size issue on the original. I'll experiment a bit, but I don't think that's the issue here.

These are small sized originals. 500, 600, and 800 pixels on the long side. So if the window is large enough (often not the case for the 800 pix versions), the SmugMug view shows the original size.

For the 'working' images, it animates in the SmugMug view. For the others, it doesn't. Viewing at original size show the animation, though the size (on the screen) is the same as in SmugMug View.

Maybe something changed with how the 'original' size preview is created - when I get the chance, I'll try re-uploading a 'working' gif.
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    I am also having issues with animated gifs not working as usual, only newly uploaded gifs, not older gifs, they seem fine.

I figured out the issue. Where as before when you had an original size that was equal to say the large size, when you click on large size or linked to -L the animation would work, but now you must link or view at Original size for the animation to work, that was not the case before with animated gifs.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2009
    bham wrote:
    I am also having issues with animated gifs not working as usual, only newly uploaded gifs, not older gifs, they seem fine.

I figured out the issue. Where as before when you had an original size that was equal to say the large size, when you click on large size or linked to -L the animation would work, but now you must link or view at Original size for the animation to work, that was not the case before with animated gifs.
    But it has always been the way we've documented it - use -O for animated gifs. http://www.smugmug.com/help/upload-photos
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    It may have been the way you documented, but it worked other ways, with -M or -L if the actual original size was small enough to be those sizes.

I had actually used this in a couple different spots on 2 smugmug sites.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2009
    bham wrote:
    It may have been the way you documented, but it worked other ways, with -M or -L if the actual original size was small enough to be those sizes.

I had actually used this in a couple different spots on 2 smugmug sites.

Thanks bham. So maybe this is a feature request. Or a "bring the bug back" request. It would be nice if the animation showed for the SmugMug view if the file size is small enough.

Though if this is a feature request, I'd request for the thumbnails, or at least the smaller SmugvMug views, to be animated as well.
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2009
    scottkwest wrote:
    Thanks bham. So maybe this is a feature request. Or a "bring the bug back" request. It would be nice if the animation showed for the SmugMug view if the file size is small enough.

Though if this is a feature request, I'd request for the thumbnails, or at least the smaller SmugvMug views, to be animated as well.
    Sure - http://uservoice.smugmug.com thanks
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2010
    DRAT. This breaks my hack to feature a gallery with an animated Loading... graphic. I have a hack that parses the Recent Galleries RSS feed and then replaces the featured gallery with recent galleries.

My hack is slow, because it uses JavaScript to grab the RSS feed, parse it, format it, and display it in the browser. Meanwhile, people are looking at a static "Loading..." graphic.

Putting an animated "Loading..." image (like here) gave people a warm fuzzy feeling that something was happening, but this "fix" apparently breaks the ability to upload an animated gif.

I guess I can try finding an animated gif that's a little bigger. Not sure if SmugMug will simply replace that with a jpg as well. :-{
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    Darryl,

For what it's worth, your link shows both the thumbnail and the main photo as an animated gif. In fact, all the display copies of the image are animated. My guess that's happening as your original is smaller than any of our display / thumbnail sizes.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    Darryl,

For what it's worth, your link shows both the thumbnail and the main photo as an animated gif. In fact, all the display copies of the image are animated. My guess that's happening as your original is smaller than any of our display / thumbnail sizes.

Sebastian

Hi Sebastian:

That's because I whined about it on IRC and Cabbey made a copy of the image from my other loading gallery. (Thanks Cab!)

But if you try downloading the original of that GIF, then uploading it, you won't be able to get an animated original *or* thumbnail, yes, because of the reasons you site. But I'm saying that if the original is smaller, you should *not* upsize it. Upsizing looks awful.