Options

Heads Up: New Default Uploader

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited July 13, 2009 in SmugMug Support
If you use our Simple Uploader, you'll now get our newest, fastest, most robust uploader :clap :clap It has support for dupes and more error checking. And it's faaaaaaast.

In IE, and FF Win, Safari Win be sure you click "Run"
20090702-pfme81my2y4d3rrtxwns71f2at.jpg

On a Mac, in FF or Safari, be sure to Click "Allow" here:
20090702-gasm6pxh32wbe364iffsjtjm3c.jpg

Yeah, that message is scary - we don't control it, Sun Java does (we're sorry!).

Enjoy the new uploady goodness. Help pages and release notes coming!

Comments

• Options
    photosbycourtneyphotosbycourtney Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    I am using it right now and am not a fan already. It seems much slower than the other uploader and I have no option to view the thumbnails in my folders so I can select the right files, so that is consuming a lot of time as well.
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2009
    I am using it right now and am not a fan already. It seems much slower than the other uploader and I have no option to view the thumbnails in my folders so I can select the right files, so that is consuming a lot of time as well.
    We're pretty darn sure it's faster in all situations. What browser, what computer, what type of files and size are you uploading?
  • Options
    photosbycourtneyphotosbycourtney Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    Maybe it's just an illusion because I'm used to seeing 3 upload at a time and being able to choose by thumbnail. I use a Compaq presario, Firefox is the browser, and the file sizes range from 4.5-6 MB each.
  • Options
    ninjabirdmanninjabirdman Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 2, 2009
    i'm getting an "error during upload", FF 3.0.5 on OS X. wish we had the option to fall back to the old one until the new one is fully debugged . . . the old old uploaded is a real hassle.
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2009
    i'm getting an "error during upload", FF 3.0.5 on OS X. wish we had the option to fall back to the old one until the new one is fully debugged . . . the old old uploaded is a real hassle.
    Can you try clearing your cache and closing, reopening and uploading again? We tested thoroughly and it sure doesn't sound like any error we ever saw - can you screen grab it? Thanks!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    The only thing I can suggest is leave the photos uploaded in the window with
    "done" or "uploaded" behind them. I drag one or so at a time and sometimes
    not sure which ones were dragged in.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    ebwestebwest Registered Users Posts: 416 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    I just uploaded one picture to give it a try, the speed seemed fine. I did like the option of having thumbnails though.
  • Options
    BiffbradfordBiffbradford Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    I've uploaded almost 100 files with this new uploader ... yes, it is FAST! :ivar
  • Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2009

+100

I'm using it now to upload last night's games, and I don't like it at all. Many times, I upload as I PP photos. I go through 30 or 40 shots, then start the upload. When the first upload completes, I add more. With the old simple uploader, we had the option of selecting either files OR folders. After the first upload, I could select 'add files', and it would take me right back to the game folder I was uploading from.

Now.............when I want to upload more files to the folder I just uploaded to, I can't select 'files only', and I have to start all over again, clicking through Jim-pictures-knippixels-pixie tourney-7-2 finals-et 1, then I have to click to change it from 'details' to 'list':bash .

Upload speed is not that big of a deal to me, but now, my speed at my desk has been slowed down.
  • Options
    JaeSenJaeSen Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    The only suggestion I have is you REALLY need to give us the option to see our files as thumbnails! It is nearly impossible for me to find my files without sitting down and making a list first since it will not let you view the selection window over an open Folder window. It is really frustrating, I am back to using "old faithful" as it is much easier for me to find the photos I want and then just walk away. PLEASE GIVE US OUR THUMBNAILS BACK!!:cry
    JaeSen
    Winnsboro, TX
    www.jaesenphotography.com
  • Options
    Bad SeedBad Seed Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 3, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    We're pretty darn sure it's faster in all situations. What browser, what computer, what type of files and size are you uploading?

I am also having a tough time with the new uploader. It feels slower and there are no thumbnails which adds on extra time to the process though I can drag and drop now.
  • Options
    LPCLPC Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    This is infuriating!! I do wish you wouldn't keep changing things for the sake of it. I don't care if it's supposed to be faster - it doesn't work.

You can't see thumbnails when you select files for uploading and can't see them as thumbnails in the upload screen. That makes the whole procedure a guess unless you refer back to the file containing the original images and check the filenames of each image you want to upload. Which slows you down. You also can't add the title at the time of file selection/uploading which slows the whole process down again as you now have to title them as a separate procedure after they have been uploaded.

Why not add this method as yet another way of uploading and keep the original way as it is.

Sometimes I think the staff at Smugmug have too much time on their hands!

PLEASE bring back the original 'Simple' upload method.

By the way, I'm uploading my files anyway as I have no other choice and it's taking forever - much, MUCH slower than before.

(ie8, Vista 64, 4 - 5mb jpegs)

edit - OK that took nearly half an hour to upload 6 x jpegs all of which were under 5mb. This is not good!
  • Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    LPC wrote:
    Why not add this method as yet another way of uploading and keep the original way as it is.

thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2009
    nipprdog wrote:

Upload speed is not that big of a deal to me, but now, my speed at my desk has been slowed down.
    Hi Knip, I'm so sorry! We had a terrible time getting updates from the 3rd Party that made the old uploader. I hope you'll find a workflow that works with our new one - and that the benefits of speed & robustness win out.
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    I used it last night and love it - I thought it was faster even before I read this thread.

I'm surprised at all the mentions of the uploader not giving an option to view thumbnails. Why not just drag and drop from a Windows explorer box with thumbnail view?

My workflow is that LR exports my files (I do 30-40 at a time similar to what others are doing) and pops open a windows explorer window, which is set to thumbnail view.

So I just drag and drop from there to the new uploader and click upload.

After the next 30-40 are edited (and while the 1st set is uploading), I export again and LR opens up another windows explorer window, and the first file in that new set is automatically highlighted, so a quick "shift+end" and the 2nd set of 30-40 files is 'selected' then I just drag and drop again.

AND I DON'T HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL THE 1st SET IS COMPLETE - WHICH IS COOL!!! thumb.gif

Anyway, I don't see any negatives to it yet ne_nau.gif
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2009
    LPC wrote:
    This is infuriating!! I do wish you wouldn't keep changing things for the sake of it. I don't care if it's supposed to be faster - it doesn't work.

You can't see thumbnails when you select files for uploading and can't see them as thumbnails in the upload screen. That makes the whole procedure a guess unless you refer back to the file containing the original images and check the filenames of each image you want to upload. Which slows you down. You also can't add the title at the time of file selection/uploading which slows the whole process down again as you now have to title them as a separate procedure after they have been uploaded.

Sometimes I think the staff at Smugmug have too much time on their hands!

By the way, I'm uploading my files anyway as I have no other choice and it's taking forever - much, MUCH slower than before.

(ie8, Vista 64, 4 - 5mb jpegs)

edit - OK that took nearly half an hour to upload 6 x jpegs all of which were under 5mb. This is not good!

Email me, attn: Andy at our help desk - we'll diagnose the issue.

I'm sorry we had to change the uploader. The old one was not our property and getting updates was problematic. So we invested a lot of money and built our own, which we know is faster (though I see you've experienced otherwise), is more robust, and more error-free.

Write me, we'll help!
  • Options
    LPCLPC Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Email me, attn: Andy at our help desk - we'll diagnose the issue.

I'm sorry we had to change the uploader. The old one was not our property and getting updates was problematic. So we invested a lot of money and built our own, which we know is faster (though I see you've experienced otherwise), is more robust, and more error-free.

Write me, we'll help!

I haven't got an issue to diagnose other than I wanted the option of having the original uploader back. I don't really care too much about about the speed, I just want an intuitive and easy to use upload method where I can see what I am uploading and title each image as I go. I never had an issue with the original uploader - you keep mentioning more robust - what does that mean exactly? Error free? I never had a single error with the original method.

If you had to come up with your own uploader for whatever reason why did you make one so completely different if it's isn't an improvement. Speed issues apart, it's clumsy and creates more work for the user.

But if you have spent a lot of our money on it then I guess we will all just have to live with it even though it seems like a giant step backwards headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2009
    LPC wrote:
    I haven't got an issue to diagnose other than I wanted the option of having the original uploader back. I don't really care too much about about the speed, I just want an intuitive and easy to use upload method where I can see what I am uploading and title each image as I go. I never had an issue with the original uploader - you keep mentioning more robust - what does that mean exactly? Error free? I never had a single error with the original method.

If you had to come up with your own uploader for whatever reason why did you make one so completely different if it's isn't an improvement. Speed issues apart, it's clumsy and creates more work for the user.

But if you have spent a lot of our money on it then I guess we will all just have to live with it even though it seems like a giant step backwards headscratch.gif
    I'm so sorry that the change isn't sitting well with you! Yeah, we had a terrible time keeping uptodate with the old uploader, and since it wasn't ours, getting updates was a problem.

I'm sure the new one will grow on you! If not, there are other options (SendToSmugMug - free app for Windows users... MacDaddy, our standalone Mac Uploader).

I hope you'll give it a good try though!
  • Options
    XHawkeyeXHawkeye Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    It's causes my IE7 to crash and get the following Java stuff
    java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.net.SocketPermission photos.smugmug.com connect,accept,resolve)

at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(Unknown Source)

at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(Unknown Source)

at java.net.URLClassLoader$5.run(Unknown Source)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.getPermissions(Unknown Source)

at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.getPermissions(Unknown Source)

at sun.plugin.security.PluginClassLoader.getPermissions(Unknown Source)

at java.security.SecureClassLoader.getProtectionDomain(Unknown Source)

at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)

at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)

at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)

at sun.plugin.security.PluginClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(Unknown Source)

at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(Unknown Source)

at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(Unknown Source)

at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source)

at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    With FF 3.0 all I get is a little red X in the upper left corner with "Applet Smug Web Uploader notinited" in the status bar.
    I Shoot Canons
  • Options
    RandallRandall Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    When I try to upload the whole page freezes and I have to shut down my computer to get off the page . Haven't been able to upheadscratch.gif load anything yet whats up ???
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2009
    Randall wrote:
    When I try to upload the whole page freezes and I have to shut down my computer to get off the page . Haven't been able to upheadscratch.gif load anything yet whats up ???
    Hi,
    Follow these steps to make sure your java is up to date for a PC:

1) Go to http://www.java.com

2) Click on "Do I have Java?" and wait for the test to run.

3) Follow the steps to get the latest version of Java if you need it.

If you have a Mac, it is even easier, just click on the Apple Menu and run the "Software Update" to get the latest version of Java.

Please let us know if you continue to have problems.
  • Options
    ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    XHawkeye wrote:
    It's causes my IE7 to crash and get the following Java stuff

With FF 3.0 all I get is a little red X in the upper left corner with "Applet Smug Web Uploader notinited" in the status bar.

Does it really say 'notinited' or was that a typo? Is the little X in the upper corner of the browser or in the upper corner of a white box located w/in the page inside the rest of the SmugMug layout? What OS is this Vista or XP or something else? Do you have any extra security settings setup? Could you tell me what version of java you're running since this is a problem across both browsers (http://www.javatester.org/version.html)?

Oh also were you ever prompted to allow the uploader 'access' and if you were did you click accept or deny?

Thanks,
    Sam
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    Luc De JaegerLuc De Jaeger Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    I'm trying the new uploader and uploading 358 photos to a military category (gallery: Army Base Leopoldsburg http://lucdejaeger.smugmug.com/gallery/3057698_YQRr7#166622077_aYnPm) and it seems there are no photos showing up after page 39 (the last photo is #468) while there still are some 150 or more photos being uploaded to this gallery. However, they still don't show up after about 15 minutes...

Currently, there are only 2 errors listed so that I suppose all other photos are still uploaded successfully, but where are they? Should I stop uploading?

Is there a limit to upload photos to a gallery or has it to do with the new uploader? Or should I not worry about it. Can there be a backlog?

Thanks anyway.
    Luc
  • Options
    XHawkeyeXHawkeye Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    Updated Java and now it works with FF & IE7.

Seems slower because the old loader would upload three files at a time. Will have to test it when I get more time.
    I Shoot Canons
  • Options
    ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    XHawkeye wrote:
    Updated Java and now it works with FF & IE7.

Seems slower because the old loader would upload three files at a time. Will have to test it when I get more time.

Good to hear hawk, it may seem perceptually slower but it shouldn't really be any slower since if you're uploading 1 file, 3 files or 100 files its still using up all the available bandwidth. Once a file is uploaded and while it waits for smugmug to confirm that the bits arrived it starts uploading the next file so it can keep your bandwidth saturated.

Sam
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited July 3, 2009
    JaeSen wrote:
    The only suggestion I have is you REALLY need to give us the option to see our files as thumbnails! It is nearly impossible for me to find my files without sitting down and making a list first since it will not let you view the selection window over an open Folder window. It is really frustrating, I am back to using "old faithful" as it is much easier for me to find the photos I want and then just walk away. PLEASE GIVE US OUR THUMBNAILS BACK!!:cry
    Hi JaeSen,

Ouch, we feel your pain, but the reason we removed the thumbnails was to settle a patent dispute. It may seem hard to imagine, but there are currently 3 patent lawsuits against us at the moment and last month if I do the math correctly, our legal bills for defending ourselves against patent complaints was higher than what we spent on engineering.

The good news is on both Windows and Macs they still allow you to view the files as thumbnails despite the lawsuits against them and then you can just drag them onto our uploader. To do that, just have our uploader open in one window and whatever you use to view your pictures on your computer open in a second window. Then just hold down the shift key while you select many files to drag:

20090703-c61hwj7tmrtxm2i4ei496sfd7f.jpg

I hope this helps and sorry for the hassle.

Chris
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2009
    XHawkeye wrote:
    Seems slower
    We're really sure this is faster than the olde one. The difference is you saw three files going at once before. But overall, uploading is much faster with the new one!
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2009
    After an hour, the uploader is still uploading pictures (still 87 to go) but the photos seem not to be added to my gallery anymore... The last photo in the gallery still is #468 and seems to be stuck at that). No idea where the photos that are still being uploaded successfully are going.... They seem to be uploaded in some vacuum...

The upload log too is stuck at photo #468 as if there are no uploads anymore (but the uploader is still successfully uploading and while I write there still are 85 to go).

Luc
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2009
    After an hour, the uploader is still uploading pictures (still 87 to go) but the photos seem not to be added to my gallery anymore... The last photo in the gallery still is #468 and seems to be stuck at that). No idea where the photos that are still being uploaded successfully are going.... They seem to be uploaded in some vacuum...

The upload log too is stuck at photo #468 as if there are no uploads anymore (but the uploader is still successfully uploading and while I write there still are 85 to go).

Luc
    Do you have another window open with the uploader going?
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Do you have another window open with the uploader going?

Yes I have

Luc