Options

New and Innovative Photo Sharing Sites/Systems/Software

inventorinventor Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited May 8, 2009 in The Big Picture
What are the Photo Sharing sites out there?

Smugmug, flickr, zoto, picasa, iphoto, etc

My gripe with all of these are that they have been offering the same features more or less... and the technology hasn't has any innovation in a long time (sure there is APIs, more storage space, but the same tagging/album/upload/view system, nothing in in organization technology, nothing new in image analysis). Where is search by similar images? Facial Recognition (sure iPhoto/Picasa offer but it sucks). Automatic organization (iphoto does this a little, why not others)? Ability to detect events/vacations, automatically categorize similar photos?

What are the features you guys really wish for, but still not found in any of these?

Disclaimer: I am a developer looking for what people are missing in terms of features for a photo related sites. Shoot away, throw the wildest dreams of features you wish for, and hopefully I can and other photo sites can implement them :)

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    inventor wrote:
    What are the Photo Sharing sites out there?

Smugmug, flickr, zoto, picasa, iphoto, etc

My gripe with all of these are that they have been offering the same features more or less... and the technology hasn't has any innovation in a long time (sure there is APIs, more storage space, but the same tagging/album/upload/view system, nothing in in organization technology, nothing new in image analysis). Where is search by similar images? Facial Recognition (sure iPhoto/Picasa offer but it sucks). Automatic organization (iphoto does this a little, why not others)? Ability to detect events/vacations, automatically categorize similar photos?

What are the features you guys really wish for, but still not found in any of these?

Disclaimer: I am a developer looking for what people are missing in terms of features for a photo related sites. Shoot away, throw the wildest dreams of features you wish for, and hopefully I can and other photo sites can implement them :)

OK, I'll play :-)
    You've mentioned face recognition... Here's a scenario: a photographer uploads 2-3K pictures from a public/sport event, some pictures with one person, some with groups. Potential buyer should be able to find all the pictures s/he is in by providing one or more images s/he is already in (FB style), be it from this site or some other source.
    At this point TinEye can't quite do it. Can you? mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,927 moderator
    edited May 8, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    OK, I'll play :-)
    You've mentioned face recognition... Here's a scenario: a photographer uploads 2-3K pictures from a public/sport event, some pictures with one person, some with groups. Potential buyer should be able to find all the pictures s/he is in by providing one or more images s/he is already in (FB style), be it from this site or some other source.
    At this point TinEye can't quite do it. Can you? mwink.gif

Yeah, image analysis and automatic keywording are high on my list. I don't ask much, do I? :D
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Yeah, image analysis and automatic keywording are high on my list. I don't ask much, do I? :D
    oh, yeah, I second automatic keywording with all my heart... Kinda goes side-by-side with the facial recognition... Photographer provides a sample set of keyworded images, and then system automatically processes the rest... Would be awesome for stock photogrpahy... thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"