Options

Online storage/backup (looking for suggestons)

CaroleenaCaroleena Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited May 18, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
Greetings...never posted a thread before so hope this works! I am seeking recommendations for backing up my pictures thru online storage...all of them not just what's posted for the world to view. Would be happy to hear any suggestions/experiences/warnings, etc!

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited May 4, 2009
    Going to move this outside of dgrin support forums. Not really a support question.

To answer your question, SmugMug offers SmugVault which allows you to store stuff. Keep in mind that you're also able to keep photos in galleries that are not available to the public too.

There are a variety of other back-up solutions as well. These use a client you run on your desktop to copy files to the respective services.

I personally like keeping stuff on SmugMug because I know it's safe and if I want to get a copy, it's just a click away (to order a DVD).
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    I use and really like Backblaze www.backblaze.com to back up everything I have - docs, movies, photos, files of all kinds.

bowdown.gif
  • Options
    wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    I use SugarSync. I have used Amazon S3 through Jungledisk, but it was not for me.

SugarSync is awesome. Also, Google is supposed to come out with Gdrive. But that rumour has been going on for over a year now.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • Options
    redriskerredrisker Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    wildviper wrote:
    I use SugarSync. I have used Amazon S3 through Jungledisk, but it was not for me.
    Can I ask why? I've been mulling over this and is leaning towards Amazon S3/Rackspace Cloud via Jungle Disk and would love to hear current/previous users' opinions.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    wildviper wrote:

SugarSync is awesome. Also, Google is supposed to come out with Gdrive. But that rumour has been going on for over a year now.

That is really high compared to backblaze.com @ $5/mo/computer....unlimited storage
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    Another good option is Mozy www.mozy.com , which seems similar to Backblaze.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    James SJames S Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    I am thinking of going with either backblaze or mozy. Smugvault seems expensive compared to the others. Why?
  • Options
    James SJames S Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2009
    Well I think because I am no longer shooting much I will buy a 500GB Western Digital Passport:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136303

And just copy my home external that is only using 130gb of the 500gb acvailable and keep it at work.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2009
    James S wrote:
    Well I think because I am no longer shooting much I will buy a 500GB Western Digital Passport:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136303

And just copy my home external that is only using 130gb of the 500gb acvailable and keep it at work.

mine are 4 deep......I have my working disk and 3 for storage......noway will they all crap out at once.....this year i started offf with Hitachi 1Tb drives.......and will move to 1,5 tb when these are full...........or at the end of the year,,,,,each new year starts a new series of drives
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited May 10, 2009
    redrisker wrote:
    Can I ask why? I've been mulling over this and is leaning towards Amazon S3/Rackspace Cloud via Jungle Disk and would love to hear current/previous users' opinions.

Sorry was out of town.

The thing I like about SugarSync is that it is trully "Set it and forget it" deal. I have selected the folders I want to backup and it automatically keeps an eye on it. Also, the syncing feature is great. I have three laptops and one desktop. For my personal files (like tax returns, excel spreadsheets and so on), it is synced across every computer. As soon as I work on a file and save it on one computer, it is transferred instaneously to the other three plus online storage.

In addition, through my blackberry I can access the files and actually pick one and email it to someone. I didn't think I would ever use that, but I already did.

Also, the ability to have web access was important for me. If I am in Europe and I need access to one of the files, I just need to find an internet cafe.

Jungle disk doesn't give you that. You have to install the jungle disk software and most internet places frown upon installing anything on their systems.

I have also recently used it to send a bunch of files(in a shared folder) for download to someone. Just send a link and they can download the files you give access to. (They have to register for this for free). The alternative to registering(since I hate that concept if I am using it once) is to send just send files instead of sharing a folder.

Their support is pretty good too. I have used them couple of times in the beginning when I had some bugs to get sorted out.

The negative is the speed of upload. It is not as fast as pure ftp. But, I didn't really care cause it took a few days to upload 25 gigs. I just left the one of the computers on.
    I have my working disk and 3 for storage......noway will they all crap out at once.....

I had two of them fail on me at the same time. One was on ATA and the other on SATA. Two different cables and all.

For those that want to follow this route, be careful. You can't protect against fire even in a safety deposit box. Living in SoCal, that is a threat I have to address. That is why I went with the online system. I also have local backups on 4 different drives. Yeah..I am that concerned about my data.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    That is really high compared to backblaze.com @ $5/mo/computer....unlimited storage

Perhaps, but the keyword you have there is "per computer". I have 4 computers altogether and just pay one single price. I think I have the 60gigs for $10 a month.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
  • Options
    charlesoutcaltcharlesoutcalt Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    Looking for Online Image Management System
    Hello Everyone,

First, let me say that I am a huge SmugMug fan. I use SM every day for my own images, so don't take my question as a knock against my favorite online image site.

But, I'm working with a consulting client with some specialized needs. They want an online version of Aperture or LightRoom. They need to be able to upload an original image, create various crops/resizings from that image, and give team members across the country access to the image. It's very important that the system be easily searched, too, and that it have a robust naming system. Eventually, the system will hold a few thousand images, all of which will have a detailed file name.

As much as I love SM, I don't think this is exactly the right site. My client won't need to print, ever, and the appearance of the images online doesn't matter much. It's more about organization, and ease of up- and down-loading.

I've checked out a few sites, such as Zenfolio, but they seem oriented to image presentation and fulfillment, rather than toward cataloging.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Price isn't a particular concern, but eases of use is.

Thanks!

Charles
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    Does anyone have any thoughts? Price isn't a particular concern, but eases of use is.

Thanks!

Charles
    Charles,
    I'm a software engineer by trade. I you don't find a solution you want, send me an email, maybe I can create a custom one for you based on your precise specs:-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2009
    Thanks
    Thanks, Nikolai. I'll keep that in mind! Thanks again - Charles
  • Options
    KennyKenny Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    Hello Everyone,
    ... <snip>

But, I'm working with a consulting client with some specialized needs. They want an online version of Aperture or LightRoom. They need to be able to upload an original image, create various crops/resizings from that image, and give team members across the country access to the image. It's very important that the system be easily searched, too, and that it have a robust naming system. Eventually, the system will hold a few thousand images, all of which will have a detailed file name.

...<snip>...

Thanks!

Charles

Hi Charles,
    I haven't tried this myself, but what about "Photoshop Express"? It's the online version of photoshop and allows basic editing and sharing. It's run by Adobe themselves and (I think) it's free. Might be worth a look!

URL: https://www.photoshop.com/express/landing.html

Cheers,
    Ken
  • Options
    TopCatTopCat Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    Kenny wrote:
    Hi Charles,
    I haven't tried this myself, but what about "Photoshop Express"? It's the online version of photoshop and allows basic editing and sharing. ...
    Cheers,
    Ken
    Or maybe even Picasa Web, the Google service which is also free?

Tom
    Tom
    Nikon D300 with 16-85 f3.5-5.6 VR, 35 f/1.8, 70-300 VR; Nikon D800 with 24-70 f/2.8, 105 f/2.8 VR Micro, 70-200 f/2.8 VRII, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Dell XPS 17 (8 GB RAM), LR5.3, Photoshop CC
    My Portfolio
    My PhotoBlog
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2009
    Hey Ken,

Thanks for the ideas. I appreciate them.

I think I have found a solution: 37signals hosts an online platform called Backpack. It's set up for general asset (documents, images, etc.) sharing across a business. It's not all that photo-friendly (no galleries, printing, etc.), but it seems pretty good at managing files, which is really what I need. I do the 'real' editing on my own computer, with Aperture and PS, but I am going to give Backpack a try. If anyone is interested, I'll let you know if/how it works out.

Thanks again. I can always count on DG to come through!

Charles
    TopCat wrote:
    Or maybe even Picasa Web, the Google service which is also free?

Tom
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    Here's another vote for SugarSync. I've got it on every computer I own, my wifes, and I outfitted a 7-person office with it as well. Awesome funcationality at a great price.
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    I'm going to put in my vote for SpiderOak. I'm using them and have had a great experience so far. Here are a few things I like, and don't like about their software and service:

+Any number of systems for one amount
    +They use block level uploading (if I change something in a dng file it only uploads the piece of the dng that changed, not the entire file)
    +They use de-duplication (if I have a 100 MB file on one system, and the same file with a couple of changes on another system, it will recognize that and not upload both full files. Also, if I move files around on my system, rename them, etc... It won't reupload them because it recognizes that they are the same file.)
    +They never delete anything, even if it leaves your system (I believe at one point if you deleted a file that either Mozy or Carbonite would keep the file for 30 days and then delete it from their backup)
    +They offer syncing across systems. (you specify the folders on each system you want to sync and it, well, syncs! lol)
    +Great communication! Even before I was a customer I was sending all kinds of questions, and the CEO Ethan Oberman, was responding back with answers same day. Fantastic!

-Cost is a bit on the high side at $10 per month for 100GB. Right now I am paying $20 bucks amonth for 200GB. I am hoping that as time goes by and cost of storage continues to drop they will change thier pricing structure to remain competitive.
    -Software can be a bit quirky to figure out at times
    -No clear way to pause an upload (I'm hoping this will be added)

Anyway, just my two cents worth.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited May 14, 2009
    two threads, two different forums, same subject... I've merged the threads.

There is also a new site I heard about:

MOZY
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    Angelo wrote:
    two threads, two different forums, same subject... I've merged the threads.

There is also a new site I heard about:

MOZY

Mozy is pretty good, and I was using them, until I realized that if I change the contrast on one of my DNG files and then saved it Mozy was re-uploading the entire 10-15MB file, not just a small peice of the file that had changed.
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Mozy is pretty good, and I was using them, until I realized that if I change the contrast on one of my DNG files and then saved it Mozy was re-uploading the entire 10-15MB file, not just a small peice of the file that had changed.

I'm not a big Mozy fan. I have a year left on a pre-paid account with them so I'm using it for a client. Everyone else I know I've sold on SugarSync. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Chris OChris O Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    I use Mozy, and it has saved my ass twice now. I have about 200 gigs backed up with it.