Options

Canon 5D Mark II - Got One? Want One?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,806 moderator
    edited March 11, 2009
    RBrogen wrote:

So the long and short of it, the WFT-E4A can auto upload using FTP protocol. My understanding is that there is currently no FTP access to SM and thus my dilemma and I'm wondering if any of you out there have used the WFT-E4A and had any thoughts, insights or suggestions.

Thanks for any insight.

Best,
    Randy

Randy,

According to the documentation, the WFT-E4A can also transmit via PTP and HTTP. I bet you could use one of the 3 protocols to get to SmugMug but you might be better served by asking this question in the SmugMug Support forum. Worst case scenario, you might have to use an intermediate server to act as a liaison between the WFT-E4A and SmugMug.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Randy,

According to the documentation, the WFT-E4A can also transmit via PTP and HTTP. I bet you could use one of the 3 protocols to get to SmugMug but you might be better served by asking this question in the SmugMug Support forum. Worst case scenario, you might have to use an intermediate server to act as a liaison between the WFT-E4A and SmugMug.

Hey Ziggy, thanks for the reply. I have a post in the hacking area and thought it might be a good idea to bring up here since it's 5DMkII specific. I actually thought that the other protocols could be used for auto transmission but alas..not so much. The HTTP is used to allow someone to remotely view what's on the memory card and to remotely take pictures. While you can save files from this venue, it's not an auto upload. I haven't gotten to test the PTP as of yet but I believe you have to transfer to a system that is running the synch software on the local network to talk with the camera and then you still have to get it from that system to SmugMug.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    Are the Mk2's batteries still out of stock? I looked at B and H recently and said they were out of stock. I need to buy an extra!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    VanquizVanquiz Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    Are the Mk2's batteries still out of stock? I looked at B and H recently and said they were out of stock. I need to buy an extra!

Ted, I got one from Beach Camera $89, havent even open the package yet, Amazon messed it up with my order Battery Grip, so I thought Im gonna return it, but havent got chance to do so.

If you want to take it, I can drop it by if I go at Cherry Hill area if u want (most likely Monday or Wednesday), or late night, pretty much everynight, since I have to pick up wifey from work at Collingswood.

Im not taking even a penny profit, Laughing.gif ...
  • Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009

They are tough to find still. However, I used this site: http://www.nowinstock.net/digitalcameras/canon5dmarkii/
    which tracks the obvious places to look. Check it a couple times daily for best results.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2009
    Vanquiz wrote:
    Ted, I got one from Beach Camera $89, havent even open the package yet, Amazon messed it up with my order Battery Grip, so I thought Im gonna return it, but havent got chance to do so.

If you want to take it, I can drop it by if I go at Cherry Hill area if u want (most likely Monday or Wednesday), or late night, pretty much everynight, since I have to pick up wifey from work at Collingswood.

Im not taking even a penny profit, Laughing.gif ...

I'll take it off your hands! ..you have a PM!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2009
    I finally picked up my 8 gig CF cards.

8gb only holds about 238 RAWs. :cry I think I might need to buy 4 more of those!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2009
    Were they ever "in stock" at B&H or anywhere else in the USA?

I don't believe there have ever been any 5D MkII batteries available in this country, which is very frustrating. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2009
    Well.. I was saved by Vanquiz! :D Now I have an extra battery! this way when I am in Venice I won't be out of juice!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    As much as I now hate using this thing, I love the images it produces, with the right lens. A 5D2 coupled with the 35L or 135L is very satisfying. Something inside me wants to write it off, but it's impossible.

494637374_qfJ9q-XL.jpg

490679247_yf6e5-L.jpg

494639856_6v92m-XL.jpg
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited March 19, 2009
    On the one shoulder sits the devil. On the other, an angel lol3.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    rfreschnerrfreschner Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    Were they ever "in stock" at B&H or anywhere else in the USA?

Yes, indeed. I ordered the battery from Adorama on 12/27/08 even though it was "out of stock". It was shipped 3 days later on 12/30/08. Sort of like when I ordered my 5D MkII on 12/5/08 OOS and it shipped 12/15/08 - 10 days later!
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    As much as I now hate using this thing, I love the images it produces, with the right lens. A 5D2 coupled with the 35L or 135L is very satisfying. Something inside me wants to write it off, but it's impossible.

The 135L is the reason I will always own a full frame Canon body. Right now it is the classic 5D, but someday I may break down and pick up a 5D II.
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    LiquidAir wrote:
    The 135L is the reason I will always own a full frame Canon body. Right now it is the classic 5D, but someday I may break down and pick up a 5D II.

It feels like the best thing in the world in your hand. If I sold all other lenses I'd still be happy to be left with the 135L and 35L. you could base a career on those two.
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    It feels like the best thing in the world in your hand. If I sold all other lenses I'd still be happy to be left with the 135L and 35L. you could base a career on those two.

Indeed these are the bread and butter must have primes. I think all my best shots come from these lenses :)
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2009
    [Insert indefinitely growing lens lust emoticon.]

I thought about renting those two for my trip to Italy, which I probably still can and cancel the 24-105 rental, but I want to carry less gear with me.

But..... mmm 35L and 135L :eat
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2009
    [Insert indefinitely growing lens lust emoticon.]

I thought about renting those two for my trip to Italy, which I probably still can and cancel the 24-105 rental, but I want to carry less gear with me.

But..... mmm 35L and 135L :eat

For travel, the 24-105 is always my main lens.
  • Options
    jrmyrnsmjrmyrnsm Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2009
    LiquidAir wrote:

Yeah that is a pretty ideal travel lens to have IS a great range, constant aperture, and its a lens I am hoping Nikon will copy in the future.ne_nau.gif
    Georgia based wedding photographer shooting all Fuji and loving every second of it!

My Website My Blog DPChallenge
  • Options
    HelenOsterHelenOster Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2009
    Adorama Camera Customer Service
    rfreschner wrote:
    I ordered the battery from Adorama on 12/27/08 even though it was "out of stock". It was shipped 3 days later on 12/30/08!

Delighted you received it - and wanted to clarify the Adorama stock position re: high demand items.
    Frequent delivery and dispatch times mean that items can come in one door of the warehouse, be packaged, and out of another door within a couple of hours, so real time inventory on the website is often not possible.
    Unless the items actually hit the shelves, our computer system generates an automatic message in response to an Internet order, indicating that it is out of stock.

Another possible scenario, is that you could see an in-stock indication, if a shipment of these batteries was expected into the warehouse within the next 24 hours - but again, the systems we have, aren't currently set up to be able to handle this (although we are currently working on it), and our computer sends a standard message indicating that the item is back-ordered, by 7 - 10 days.

The most accurate indication is by speaking directly to a sales rep - but if you are unable to get in touch with a rep regarding a particular item, you are always welcome to get in touch with me and I will check out the stock situation for you.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

If you ever have any queries or concerns regarding an order or purchase from Adorama Camera - or AdoramaPix please don't hesitate to contact me directly: <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:PersonName w:st="on">helen.oster@adoramacamera.com</st1:PersonName><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Sincerely<o:p></o:p>
    Helen Oster<o:p></o:p>
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador<o:p></o:p>
    helen.oster@adoramacamera.com<o:p></o:p>
    www.adorama.com<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    http://twitter.com/HelenOster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2009
    LiquidAir wrote:

After my trip, I will decide if i will add that lens to my stable. :D
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    RurikRurik Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited March 24, 2009
    so owners of the 5d2?
    how is the battery holding up with your multiple long exposures of 7-15 minutes or so...
    how long "in time" would you suppose the battery lasts?
  • Options
    blaser321blaser321 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    Has any one been able to find a second 5dmII battery. Ive had my 5dmII for 5 months now and still can't find a battery ?
    5D mark II, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L IS
    EF 2.0x II extender BG-E6
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    The silence is deafening! mwink.gif
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,806 moderator
    edited March 28, 2009
    blaser321 wrote:
    Has any one been able to find a second 5dmII battery. Ive had my 5dmII for 5 months now and still can't find a battery ?

I think Adorama will allow you to order now and they will put you in a que behind current outstanding orders, then charge your card and deliver the battery when they have them in stock.

As far as I know all dealers are still on very tight allocations for the LP-E6 batteries and incoming stock sells out immediately against previous orders.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    planetMitchplanetMitch Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I think Adorama will allow you to order now and they will put you in a que behind current outstanding orders, then charge your card and deliver the battery when they have them in stock.

As far as I know all dealers are still on very tight allocations for the LP-E6 batteries and incoming stock sells out immediately against previous orders.

Yes, adorama is working that way - last I heard they'd processed over 1000 orders for batteries without ever having enough in stock to be able to post it on their site.

My site is tracking availability too (we have a vendor who's been getting 30-50 batteries every week or so lately). planet5D.com
    Mitch
    NEW! planet5d.com THE 5d Wiki! Follow me on twitter for updates
    (includes mk ii info and samples - all in one central location)
    planetMitch.com my home site
  • Options
    blaser321blaser321 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:

i put my order in with them 3 months ago
    5D mark II, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L IS
    EF 2.0x II extender BG-E6
  • Options
    HelenOsterHelenOster Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    Adorama Camera Customer Service
    blaser321 wrote:
    i put my order in with them 3 months ago

I'm sure you are all frustrated, and I'm also sure you will appreciate that we had no idea that Canon were not going to produce the batteries for this unit in a reasonable time frame. There is still no official ETA on them.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    We've sold many of this new model, and Canon has not sent us an equivalent number of batteries. We have a large number of back orders of batteries and in common with all other retailers, that list is growing daily. We are very aware that everyone who bought this camera is a professional or semi-pro and needs to have 2 or more batteries, with or without the battery grip.<o:p></o:p>
    The bottom line is that we are also at the mercy of Canon. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please do feel free to express your feelings with Canon directly, at 800-828-4040.<o:p></o:p>
    Sincerely
    Helen Oster

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com
    www.adorama.com

Helen Oster
    http://twitter.com/HelenOster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    In the meantime, my cheap batteries from ebay have been given a workout and are still just as strong as the canon ones.... http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=115915
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    WesternriderWesternrider Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    I've had a spare battery on order with Tallyn's since the beginning of the year. Nada.

Walked into a Shutterbug store in a mall near Portland last Friday just wandering around looking at stuff, struck up a conversation with the manager who told me he had seen them in stock at their Eugene store. I immediately ordered it and got it today. Pure serendipity.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    In terms of spare batteries for the 5D2, I found mine through google over a month ago. A NYC store came up listing spares, I called, they had 'em, so I placed an order. I paid about $10 more than list price (plus shipping).

Lucky? Perhaps-- but persistent too. I had been searching for quite sometime. Search at different times of the day on different days. You just might get lucky. :D

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+