Options

Looking for a Mentor

michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
edited March 25, 2009 in The Big Picture
I'm looking for a Mentor.

Someone willing to invest time commenting and coaching me with my photography. I like this community and want to contribute and participate. My style seems to border on photojournalism as I enjoy working in uncontrolled environments and what better pallet than China to do so. It's also a hobby.

My day, day?, job has me going from 7am until 9pm most days. (advice to others, being a consultant has its drawbacks). The impact is that I'm not able to quickly pick up on a photo project to generate a result. An average month will include 3-5 cities and 2-3 countries, which might sound exotic to some. But, most of the time it's taxi, airport, office, hotel, office, airport. Rinse and repeat. The upside is I can buy nice gear, taking advantage of exchange rates and different in-country pricing. :D

Taking time on the weekends to try and take interesting shots keeps me partially sane. I'm willing to sit on a street corner for hours on end. I'm willing to mix it up with construction teams at 5am to catch "morning tea" as the next Pudong tower is raised. I'm willing to wander around markets to catch fish and fowl being prepared as food. Standing in an afternoon downpour watching people scramble or walking through a dusty Hutong is fun.

I'm liable to establish myself in Shanghai, am in Beijing regularly and have a base in Melbourne. I get around other parts of China and continental Asia. I'm also in New Zealand and Europe several times a year. I don't have a lot of PP capability right now as I travel light but hope to create a new moveable PP workstation soon.

I want advice and C&C but more importantly guidance and coaching. In return, I'm willing to do studies that we can jointly develop into artwork or studies.

I have a couple of mid-term goals; Develop confidence and proficiency as an amateur photojournalist and win a DGrin Challenge.

Anyone looking for a student?

Comments

• Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    I just figured out that I'd been moved eek7.gif No worries though. I get to learn about a different part of DGrin. :D If there's anyone in the community that's willing to work with me, drop me a PM.
  • Options
    Ham1Ham1 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    Hey Michswiss,

I am sure there are a lot of personal coaches out there willing to take you on, but I thought I would alert you to a company that we have partnered with lately. www.photographymentor.smugmug.com

Their school seems to be very useful for all their subscribers. They also have lots of events to meet up in person.

Also, SmugMug is creating User Groups. Stay tuned for more info, but they can be an excellent resource for you to rub shoulders with other pros in your area.

Thanks,
    Markham