Photo View Count - SmugMug Stats being upgraded

LCKatMPNLCKatMPN Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
edited April 12, 2010 in SmugMug Support
Hey, guys, can anybody fill me in on the breakdown today in "Photo View" counts? I was told via [EMAIL="help@smugmug"]help@smugmug[/EMAIL] that there is a problem with the count and that it is being worked on but that was this morning and I just want a bit of a heads-up if this is a "fix-it-tonight" problem or a "wait- a few-days" issue. Also, I've been told that the count should reflect views that transpired during the breakdown period.

Thanks
Linda
www.MyPaperNow.com

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    LCKatMPN wrote:
    Hey, guys, can anybody fill me in on the breakdown today in "Photo View" counts? I was told via [EMAIL="help@smugmug"]help@smugmug[/EMAIL] that there is a problem with the count and that it is being worked on but that was this morning and I just want a bit of a heads-up if this is a "fix-it-tonight" problem or a "wait- a few-days" issue. Also, I've been told that the count should reflect views that transpired during the breakdown period.

Thanks
    Linda
    www.MyPaperNow.com
    I don't have any more than we told you by email, I'm very sorry.

The "problem" is that SmugStats are being improved dramatically and there's a temporary time here where the count is down from view.
  • LCKatMPNLCKatMPN Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    Andy wrote:

The "problem" is that SmugStats are being improved dramatically and there's a temporary time here where the count is down from view.

THANKS!
    It's not a problem, then (which would have been okay, it happens) but an improvement (which is always nice), and that implies more than just a temporary glitch that's taking longer than expected.

Thanks again.
    edited March 21, 2009
    Any word yet on Photo Viiew count update? Will it be up today?
    Thanks
    Linda
    www.MyPaperNow.com
    edited March 21, 2009
    LCKatMPN wrote:
    Any word yet on Photo Viiew count update? Will it be up today?
    Thanks
    Linda
    www.MyPaperNow.com
    Not yet.

By the way, do you not use Google Analytics & Statcounter as well? Both free, both easy to implement - we show you how even.

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1092794
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1092684
  • Patoots2001Patoots2001 Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    SmugStats are down - Can you offer any ETA for fix?
    Andy wrote:

That's pretty disappointing as I use the stats to determine traffic to my web Smugmug site. This is by far the busiest month of the year for me--last year I had over a million hits in month of March. Now the stats have been stagnant since since 3/20 at 6am (EST). BUMMER!

Andy: Any idea on when this will be fixed?
    www.buckeyephotography.com
    The Official Photographers of Cleveland's Saint Patrick's Day Parade
    More Fujifilm gear than I care to mention.
    edited March 21, 2009
    That's pretty disappointing as I use the stats to determine traffic to my web Smugmug site. This is by far the busiest month of the year for me--last year I had over a million hits in month of March. Now the stats have been stagnant since since 3/20 at 6am (EST). BUMMER!

Andy: Any idea on when this will be fixed?

Stats are in abeyance for a short time while we make them better and stronger. I will post news as soon as we have it.

Stay tuned and sorry for the inconvenience.
    edited March 21, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Not yet.

By the way, do you not use Google Analytics & Statcounter as well? Both free, both easy to implement - we show you how even.

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1092794
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1092684

Yes, I use Google Analytics.
    I use both sets of stats.
    Thanks,
    Linda
    edited March 21, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Stats are in abeyance for a short time while we make them better and stronger. I will post news as soon as we have it.

Will
    edited March 21, 2009
    Andy wrote:

Will you be changing the way you count Photo Views? As for my part, I've been using them to compare apples and apple for would-be converts to a new way of providing online community journalism (since those of us who now are "print" dinosaurs have all been laid off or fired). The mass market media doesn't know how to use their online stats anymore (seriously, they don't; we've heard from the advertising folks that we've left behind that no one knows what a "hit" really means, or should sell for, anymore). But, people still like their stats and if nothing else, comparing stats from now to then when they count the same thing shows at least a trend of growth. After 16 months with SmugMug, I couldn't be happier with what this site has taught me and allowed me to do, but this month and next are crucial months for getting others to buy in and herego my seemingly anal fixation with the Photo View count. Thanks for listening, and any update in terms of how this feature is or is not going to be changed and/or updated would be useful. I know you have lots more on your plate, so I understand if this is not a top priority for you in getting back to me. I can wait. Thanks.
    Linda
  • ultimate yachtshotsultimate yachtshots Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 23, 2009
    hits counter
    Hits counter not working yet.
  • OhEddieOhEddie Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2009
    Where Oh Where Have MY Little Stats Gone?
    Where oh where can they be.

They have disappeared in both Firefox and IE.

Where oh where can they be?
    Blessed are those who remain flexible, for they shall not get bent out of shape.
    edited March 23, 2009
    OhEddie wrote:
    Where oh where can they be.

They have disappeared in both Firefox and IE.

Where oh where can they be?

Stats are being worked on and improved currently. We will post news in
    this thread over on DGrin as soon as we have it:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1070423#post1070423
  • OhEddieOhEddie Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2009
    Okie-Dokie

Thanks!!!
    Blessed are those who remain flexible, for they shall not get bent out of shape.
  • hspooner2000hspooner2000 Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited March 24, 2009
    Miss the Stats...
    LCKatMPN wrote:
    Will you be changing the way you count Photo Views? As for my part, I've been using them to compare apples and apple for would-be converts to a new way of providing online community journalism (since those of us who now are "print" dinosaurs have all been laid off or fired). The mass market media doesn't know how to use their online stats anymore (seriously, they don't; we've heard from the advertising folks that we've left behind that no one knows what a "hit" really means, or should sell for, anymore). But, people still like their stats and if nothing else, comparing stats from now to then when they count the same thing shows at least a trend of growth. After 16 months with SmugMug, I couldn't be happier with what this site has taught me and allowed me to do, but this month and next are crucial months for getting others to buy in and herego my seemingly anal fixation with the Photo View count. Thanks for listening, and any update in terms of how this feature is or is not going to be changed and/or updated would be useful. I know you have lots more on your plate, so I understand if this is not a top priority for you in getting back to me. I can wait. Thanks.
    Linda

Before I go off on my mild rant, let me say how much I love Smugmug. The user support forum is unbelievable. Not only are they knowledgeable and helpful, but they never make you feel stupid for asking questions, even if they have been asked before. I switched over from flickr a few months ago, and absolutely love the site. The ease of access, configurability, etc. Also, folks who buy photos from smugmug are thrilled...
    <mild rant mode = on>
    I use both google stats and stat counter and neither provide the detail or granularity that the smugmug stats do. I have worked in service organizations for over 30 years and we had a new product to deploy we did not simply take the old one out of service and tell the customer we were working on making it better. We tested, and retested before deploying. It is quite frustrating to have lost these stats for the past 2 weeks when I have added numerous galleries and photos.
    <mild rant mode = off>

Hoping the stats are fixed very soon!
  • Jay_SJay_S Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited March 24, 2009
    Nicely worded mild rant. I at least had some hits showing yesterday, this morning everything is zero'd out, as are all the prior months. :-( I'm hoping that's an indication that it is being worked on. I'm also hoping that (somewhat based on your thoughts) that a historical record is being tallied that will carry counts over to the new system and that we're not losing all the counts currently being accumulated.

Jay S.
    Before I go off on my mild rant, let me say how much I love Smugmug. The user support forum is unbelievable. Not only are they knowledgeable and helpful, but they never make you feel stupid for asking questions, even if they have been asked before. I switched over from flickr a few months ago, and absolutely love the site. The ease of access, configurability, etc. Also, folks who buy photos from smugmug are thrilled...
    <mild rant mode = on>
    I use both google stats and stat counter and neither provide the detail or granularity that the smugmug stats do. I have worked in service organizations for over 30 years and we had a new product to deploy we did not simply take the old one out of service and tell the customer we were working on making it better. We tested, and retested before deploying. It is quite frustrating to have lost these stats for the past 2 weeks when I have added numerous galleries and photos.
    <mild rant mode = off>

Hoping the stats are fixed very soon!
    edited March 24, 2009
    Jay_S wrote:
    Nicely worded mild rant. I at least had some hits showing yesterday, this morning everything is zero'd out, as are all the prior months. :-( I'm hoping that's an indication that it is being worked on. I'm also hoping that (somewhat based on your thoughts) that a historical record is being tallied that will carry counts over to the new system and that we're not losing all the counts currently being accumulated.

Jay S.

Hi Jay,
    My stats were stuck for about a week, then went up yesterday a bit before being zeroed today. I did not realize how much I used these stats until they stopped working. They provide incredible detail & feedback on exactly what is being viewed. When I saw how few posts were on this thread I thought maybe I was the only one making a fuss....

Harry S.
  • addisaddis Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited March 24, 2009
    Stat Page
    I was just wondering if there is any new information concerning the progress of the upgrade. I'm still not getting correct information on my stat page.

Thank you!
    edited March 24, 2009
    I just got an email indicating that there is no new news. Only to keep checking back here. The folks at Smugmug usually get things right, although as someone above pointed out, it would perhaps have been good to keep the old running while getting the new up to speed. Also, I'd just like some assurance that when the new is activated that it will include past history (which is now zero'd out) as well as any hits that may have been accumulating.

SMUGMUG TEAM - A little information would go a long way here.

UPDATE: I just checked again, and some stats are there, including past, but folders I know are getting hits are still not showing any..
    addis wrote:
    I was just wondering if there is any new information concerning the progress of the upgrade. I'm still not getting correct information on my stat page.

Thank you!
    edited March 24, 2009
    Jay_S wrote:
    I just got an email indicating that there is no new news. Only to keep checking back here. The folks at Smugmug usually get things right, although as someone above pointed out, it would perhaps have been good to keep the old running while getting the new up to speed. Also, I'd just like some assurance that when the new is activated that it will include past history (which is now zero'd out) as well as any hits that may have been accumulating.

SMUGMUG TEAM - A little information would go a long way here.
    I'm sorry there's no update, please stay tuned here.
    I'm sorry we couldn't leave the stats working while we improve them - it wasn't possible in this case.

We appreciate everyone's patience.
    edited March 24, 2009
    Andy,

Thanks for jumping in.. Any idea about stats that were there? Are we losing hits coming in as we speak, etc.? Again thanks.
    Andy wrote:
    I'm sorry there's no update, please stay tuned here.
    I'm sorry we couldn't leave the stats working while we improve them - it wasn't possible in this case.

We appreciate everyone's patience.
  • flyingpointflyingpoint Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited March 24, 2009
    Stats issue
    Is there an issue with stats on the site? I'm getting sales from galleries --- which according to stats --- have no hits.
    edited March 24, 2009
    Is there an issue with stats on the site? I'm getting sales from galleries --- which according to stats --- have no hits.
    Yes, read my posts above, thanks.
  • flyingpointflyingpoint Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    Did I miss an announcement?
    I think it's great that you're upgrading the stats service. While I use Google Analytics, I still rely on the smugstats for detailed info regarding individual images.

But did I miss an announcement? Or was this a last minute thing?
    edited March 25, 2009
    I think it's great that you're upgrading the stats service. While I use Google Analytics, I still rely on the smugstats for detailed info regarding individual images.

But did I miss an announcement? Or was this a last minute thing?
    I hope it's gonna be upgraded fast! You missed no announcement, this came up very fast.
  • funcrunchfuncrunch Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    I would recommend that if an upgrade affects vital functionality on the site, the page(s) affected should at least display a message indicating such. A simple one-line "we are working on improving the statistics; your photo view numbers may not display correctly until the upgrade is complete" would answer a lot of questions. I too had been wondering why the new gallery I put up on Sunday for a client was displaying 0 hits, and had no indication of why this was so until coming to this forum.

I have put in Google Analytics code now, but again, we who rely on this service for our livelihood should get better communication when functionality is affected on the site.
    Concert and event photography by Julie Bernstein
    funcrunchphoto.com
    edited March 25, 2009
    funcrunch wrote:
    I would recommend that if an upgrade affects vital functionality on the site, the page(s) affected should at least display a message indicating such. A simple one-line "we are working on improving the statistics; your photo view numbers may not display correctly until the upgrade is complete" would answer a lot of questions. I too had been wondering why the new gallery I put up on Sunday for a client was displaying 0 hits, and had no indication of why this was so until coming to this forum.

I have put in Google Analytics code now, but again, we who rely on this service for our livelihood should get better communication when functionality is affected on the site.

Totally agree. This is exactly what happened to me with 3 different clients. I had sent numerous emails to the Hero's at Smugmug help and they told me they were being worked. After the 4th message, they sent me to this thread.
    Ouch....
    Harry
  • funcrunchfuncrunch Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    funcrunch wrote:
    I would recommend that if an upgrade affects vital functionality on the site, the page(s) affected should at least display a message indicating such. A simple one-line "we are working on improving the statistics; your photo view numbers may not display correctly until the upgrade is complete" would answer a lot of questions.
    I see such a message is now in place on the stats page - thanks guys!
    Concert and event photography by Julie Bernstein
    funcrunchphoto.com
    edited March 25, 2009
    funcrunch wrote:
    I see such a message is now in place on the stats page - thanks guys!

Andy...
    Do you feel like throwing us that are moaning the temporary loss of our stats a bone... i.e. what new and improved stats will be coming our way?
    :D
  • LongjackLongjack Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    Unavauilable Stats
    How much longer before we have our stats tracking back ?????
  • theoptimizerstheoptimizers Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    What's Going On?
    ...as Marvin Gaye asked...

I've been a member of Smugmug for three years, and have found little to complain about. The customer service has always been great, and the site is very well managed.

But, this situation is disturbing. It's not so much that those of us who've posted here are upset by the temporary absence of a feature that we rely on greatly for our businesses. The biggest issue at this point is that we are not being informed of what is happening.

If an important feature went down for one or two days without notice, that would be a problem. But, it's been a week now, and all we've been told is that the feature is being "overhauled". I know that I've suggested some improvements in the past, so I was happy to learn of these plans.

However, no one has even hinted what changes to the stats would include. And after a week, nobody has given us any idea when the changes will be ready.

Generally, everyone at SmugMug should be commended for the great work you do everyday. However, this stats situation is being handled poorly, mainly because you have left us in the dark.

Cass