Options

Macro shoot tips needed

Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
edited March 12, 2009 in Holy Macro
Ok I've been doing some "OK" macro shooting for my website and for some recipes, but I need to know what I'm doing wrong.

Some times the photo comes out good example here 485136668_GiDRu-S.jpg

And like here, The bad example 485136865_k8uxa-S.jpg

Any tips would be gratefully appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    nikmolsonnikmolson Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    the bottom one looks like it has to low a depth of field so you didnt get the entire subject in focus, stop down your aperture and try to focus more towards the middle of the food as much as possible is the only tips i can give.

and lighting is a big part of it, any chances you have to play with lighting, go for it. the cheese on top looks over exposed so watch for that

i cant be much help but hey i tried!
  • Options
    Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2009
    First one isn't really a macro shot as the second one is. It looks like the focus point is not where it should be. Are you auto focusing or letting the camera pic the focus point? What is your equipment that you're using? What were the settings of these shots? i.e. shutter speed, aperture, ISO, focal length, etc...

Gonna need some more info one what you did so we can figure out what went wrong or what to do better.

Good place to start asking questions though. Welcome to DGrin!clap.gifthumb
  • Options
    eminarteminart Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    I think the main issue in #2 is that you have too much contrast for your camera to capture. Either the cheese is going to be overexposed, or the.......pepper? is going to be underexposed. You might try HDR in those cases. If not, you'll probably want to expose for the cheese and let the darks be a little underexposed.
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    What type of camera/lens are you using?

If using autofocus, you may be encountering some contrast/surface issues which could be fooling the camera. Try manual focusing.

Are these handheld or on a tripod. Sharpness may be improved on a tripod.

Also, does you camera have a "depth of field" preview button? If so, you try smaller f-stops to increase depth of field and confirm results. Although with digital, its almost as each to shoot a pic and check it, too. Note that with smaller f-stop, while DOF increases, you'll need slower shutter speed which means a tripod may be more necessary. With a tripod, you can also avoid using a flash which might be too much unless you have something appropriate for macro work (macro ring flash or flash setup off camera).
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    Chile Chef wrote:
    Ok I've been doing some "OK" macro shooting for my website and for some recipes, but I need to know what I'm doing wrong.

Some times the photo comes out good example here

And like here, The bad example

Any tips would be gratefully appreciated!

Hi Chile Chef,

Tell us about the gear your using, are you using an SLR? or a point and shoot?

On board flash or external falsh?

The more information you give, the easier it will be for folks to give you some tips.

The first shot is not a MACRO shot, is the second one a crop?
    or small version of full sized shot?

Details will be very helpful thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    Thank you to every one who has replied. Eminart, They're called Poblano's and they're very tasty pepper.

Here's my camera gear I use for the shoots!,

Camera Canon 450D D-SLR.
    Lens A Tamaron 17-55mm lens
    Flash Speed lite 430 ex with auto syn @ 200 enabled.

Thank you for the welcome everyone.