• Gear
  • Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Support Legacy SmugMug Customization Tutorial: How To Use Firefox Web Developer - Discussion Thread

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Old Apr-11-2006, 12:43 PM
Andy is offline Andy OP
Bicameral
Tutorial: How To Use Firefox Web Developer - Discussion Thread
Many thanks to Ivar, for whipping this up

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1354921

Discuss here!
Old Apr-11-2006, 01:00 PM
Mike Lane is offline Mike Lane
I � Unicode
Nice!

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
Old Apr-11-2006, 01:19 PM
Sizemore is offline Sizemore
Beginner grinner
Very well done! Thanks!
f/2.8 100mm Macro
f/2L 135mm

No! No! No! Im no Pro. I just love high quality pix and started an expensive equipment collection.
Old Apr-11-2006, 01:58 PM
bwg is offline bwg
SmugMug Sorcerer
ivar

youvar

we all var for ivar!
Old Apr-11-2006, 08:31 PM
LOVEphotos is offline LOVEphotos
Major grins
BIG Thanks!
Very helpful tutorial
Old Apr-12-2006, 12:27 AM
ivar is offline ivar
I'd be happy with a cookie
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwebguy
ivar

youvar

we all var for ivar!
So, you're saying i should go through life as iScream?
Old Apr-12-2006, 02:24 AM
devbobo is offline devbobo
LR whisperer
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwebguy
ivar

youvar

we all var for ivar!
vary vary funny
Old Oct-10-2006, 08:05 AM
gilbert is offline gilbert
Major grins
Web Dev tool ?
Hi,

Not sure if anyone can explain this...I am trying to understand the Web Dev tool, but now the yellow floatie is not showing up properly...On other sites it is okay, but on my own SM site the window is "compressed" up so you can't read the first few lines...when I try to get the cross-hair thing to move it that makes it "stick" to the motion of moving it around, and I can't drag it and leave it somewhere else...even when I do drag it you can't read the first few lines. I have to disable it to get rid of it...tried uninstall/install of the tool with restarting FF each time...

Anyone know what is going on? It's useless for me if I can't see my own site with it! I went through the tutorial again and thought I understood a little better, but now I can't even use the tool..

Please help if you have any idea what I can do...Is it something on my SM site that is not allowing it to function properly??
Old Oct-10-2006, 08:47 AM
Andy is offline Andy OP
Bicameral
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbert
Hi,

Not sure if anyone can explain this...I am trying to understand the Web Dev tool, but now the yellow floatie is not showing up properly...On other sites it is okay, but on my own SM site the window is "compressed" up so you can't read the first few lines...when I try to get the cross-hair thing to move it that makes it "stick" to the motion of moving it around, and I can't drag it and leave it somewhere else...even when I do drag it you can't read the first few lines. I have to disable it to get rid of it...tried uninstall/install of the tool with restarting FF each time...

Anyone know what is going on? It's useless for me if I can't see my own site with it! I went through the tutorial again and thought I understood a little better, but now I can't even use the tool..

Please help if you have any idea what I can do...Is it something on my SM site that is not allowing it to function properly??
It's a fussy tool, sometimes. Try closing, quitting FF and restarting. See if that helps.
Old Oct-10-2006, 09:56 AM
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
It's a fussy tool, sometimes. Try closing, quitting FF and restarting. See if that helps.
Hey Andy,

Thanks for the response...tried doing that again and restarted the computer too...same thing. This didn't happen before, but I haven't tried the tool for a while. Last night was the first time I had used it for a while. It's ONLY ON MY SM site...Could it be something on my page making it act that way? It still "follows" the mouse movement too, can't drag it to another place and leave it - just keeps going with once you click to move it. Again, this is only on my site...I can use it on other pages, including other SM user sites.

Old Oct-10-2006, 10:13 AM
Allen is offline Allen
"tweak 'til it squeaks"
I've had that happen occasionly too. A couple things I tried is be
at the top of page when activating and then drag it. Clear cache
and restart Firefox. It evently corrects.

Seems when it happens the top few rows of the "Yel" box overlap
each other and when I drag it, it stays with the mouse cursur
and won't let go.

Wierd things happen now and then,
AL

Edit: Happens on other sites too.
Edit2: It happens on all your pages.
Old Oct-10-2006, 10:44 AM
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen
I've had that happen occasionly too. A couple things I tried is be
at the top of page when activating and then drag it. Clear cache
and restart Firefox. It evently corrects.

Seems when it happens the top few rows of the "Yel" box overlap
each other and when I drag it, it stays with the mouse cursur
and won't let go.

Wierd things happen now and then,
AL

Edit: Happens on other sites too.
Edit2: It happens on all your pages.
Hey Allen,

So I tried what you suggested...still doesn't work for my SM site...since I already did the uninstall/install again for web dev tool I doubt trying that with FF will help, but I'm out of ideas now...I'll keep checking on it. Still works fine on the other sites I've tried. What you described is exactly what is happening - the overlap and staying with the cursor.

Old Jun-20-2010, 07:53 AM
DakotaImagery is offline DakotaImagery
Beginner grinner
Thanks for the tutorial on the web tool.. my issue is I have had assistance in putting images on my banner and linking them, but not all images appear the same size even though the code says 175 X 175.. several are coming up different. I used the tool and think I have identified the pixel size for height is sometimes greater than 10%. but there is no div or any other code in the yellow floatie... any idea how to make all three images appear the same size. Just in case sometimes when you view the site all of them appear the same... it is only on specific images... like this one...

http://dakotaimagery.smugmug.com/Oth...88100717_ksZun
http://dakotaimagery.smugmug.com/Oth...91046604_eWbce

http://dakotaimagery.smugmug.com/
Old Jun-20-2010, 08:17 AM
denisegoldberg is online now denisegoldberg
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaImagery View Post
...not all images appear the same size even though the code says 175 X 175.. several are coming up different.
When you use custom sizes, that does not generate exactly the size image that you specify - that is the maximum, and it doesn't stretch or shrink the image.

From the help page at http://www.smugmug.com/help/custom-photo-sizes:
Quote:
Note: We won't change the aspect ratio of your image because that would distort it. Suppose your image is 600x400 pixels. That's a 3:2 aspect ratio. So if you specify 1200x600, which is a 2:1 ratio, we will pick 900x600.
Tip: You can avoid doing math and just put in something like -1000x1000. The longest dimension will be made 1000 pixels in size and the other will be scaled according to the aspect ratio of the image.

Your choices are the custom size, which respects the aspect ratio of your photo, or the generated thumbs which respect your square vs. original choice. Try using the available thumb sizes - that should stick with your square thumbs. You can see them on the Share... Get a link... Photo links page. Instead of the -175x175 try -Ti or -Th.

In the future, please keep your related questions to a single thread - it makes less work for the helpers here and it causes much less confusion. This would have been better places with one of your two threads about your navbar images.

--- Denise

Musings & ramblings at http://denisegoldberg.blogspot.com, quick posts in google+
Old Jun-29-2010, 02:04 PM
Jamesbjenkins is offline Jamesbjenkins
Live, shoot, post, repeat
I have got to be missing something. I can't get any of my edits to actually post to the site. I have the yellow floatie and the "edit css" box pulled up with all of my user's stylesheet up. When I change things (like the location, size and font of my navbar the EZC built for me) it looks great on the screen. However, when I press "apply" in the edit window, nothing happens. Nothing I've done is ever applied to the site, and when I close the window it goes back to the previous settings. This thing is really #(%*ing ticking me off. I have to be doing something wrong.

Any ideas?
Gear: Lots of Nikon bodies & glass, an office full of tools and toys
Old Jun-29-2010, 02:15 PM
jfriend is offline jfriend
Scripting dude-volunteer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesbjenkins View Post
I have got to be missing something. I can't get any of my edits to actually post to the site. I have the yellow floatie and the "edit css" box pulled up with all of my user's stylesheet up. When I change things (like the location, size and font of my navbar the EZC built for me) it looks great on the screen. However, when I press "apply" in the edit window, nothing happens. Nothing I've done is ever applied to the site, and when I close the window it goes back to the previous settings. This thing is really #(%*ing ticking me off. I have to be doing something wrong.

Any ideas?
Web Developer does not change your Smugmug site. It allows you to experiment on your own local computer. If you want a change to be permanent, you have to take the CSS you applied in Web Developer and put it in the CSS box in Smugmug's advanced customization and then hit Save to commit it to your Smugmug site. Web Developer is only for simulating changes on your own local computer.
Always include a link to your site when posting a question
Old Jun-29-2010, 02:19 PM
Wow. That's about as simple as it gets. I feel like an idiot.

Jfriend, I bet you get tired of answering my stupid questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfriend View Post
Web Developer does not change your Smugmug site. It allows you to experiment on your own local computer. If you want a change to be permanent, you have to take the CSS you applied in Web Developer and put it in the CSS box in Smugmug's advanced customization and then hit Save to commit it to your Smugmug site. Web Developer is only for simulating changes on your own local computer.
Old Jun-29-2010, 02:23 PM
jfriend is offline jfriend
Scripting dude-volunteer
Quote:
Wow. That's about as simple as it gets. I feel like an idiot.

Jfriend, I bet you get tired of answering my stupid questions.
This is a pretty common misunderstanding in Web Developer and it's own UI can be misleading in this regard. Anyway, glad you're going now.
Always include a link to your site when posting a question
Old Jun-29-2010, 02:33 PM
I know this needs to be in a navbar thread, but I wanted to ask the question since you're here.

I can't just copy and paste the code into my CSS, since the EZC built the navbar with the proper links and what not. Is there a way in the Web Developer to see the guts of what the EZC is doing?

I'd like to avoid fiddling with code if I can simply copy what the EZC is already doing for me.
Old Jun-29-2010, 02:17 PM
Allen is offline Allen
"tweak 'til it squeaks"
Quote:

Any ideas?
WebDev is only changing what is in the browser memory, copy any changes
to notepad so they can be pasted into the CSS on your site.
Customization FAQ Banner/Navbar/Slideshow Tutor
Tell The World!