• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Shots The Dgrin Challenges DSS #100 - Travelers Hotel

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

They're back! Our latest series of Dgrin Challenges, the OOYCZ Challenges (Out of Your Comfort Zone), is a series of challenges to help you improve your photography by stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something new. Our challenge leader says "Consider it like a photography class with no diplomas.". Get started with OOYCZ by reading the Challenge Guide.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Page 1  of  2
1 2
Old Apr-08-2012, 05:19 PM
dnie is offline dnie OP
Major grins
DSS #100 - Travelers Hotel
I suddenly remembered this building earlier today. I would have preferred a different sky. I may try again if I get some better clouds this week.
I have three versions, all about the same, slightly different crops and processing. Do any of these stand out for anyone?
Thanks for your input!

My SmugMug
Old Apr-08-2012, 06:07 PM
slpollett is offline slpollett
Major grins
I like the second one. My only nit is the power lines. Maybe you could clone those out?

Sherry
Old Apr-08-2012, 06:34 PM
ghinson is offline ghinson
pǝuɹnʇdn
I think I like the lines of the first one best.
Old Apr-08-2012, 07:49 PM
dnie is offline dnie OP
Major grins
Aaron, I am questioning the border myself... I like it, but not sure if it is within the border rules.
Sherry, I have reworked it to take out the lines. I had already taken out a light post and newspaper stand that were completely out of place.
Greg, Thanks for the input. I was afraid that the right side on the 1st one would be a distraction.

Here are my 2 updated versions. Do they need more age to them?

My SmugMug
Old Apr-09-2012, 03:12 AM
Moving Pictures is offline Moving Pictures
Bokeh, Dano
I kinda LIKE the power lines in 'em. That makes it seem more real to me, for some reason.
Old Apr-09-2012, 04:07 AM
dnie is offline dnie OP
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Pictures View Post
I kinda LIKE the power lines in 'em. That makes it seem more real to me, for some reason.
Thanks, That was my intent in leaving them when I took out the modern light pole. They looked like something I would see in an old street scene photograph. I am still going back and forth on it.

My SmugMug
Old Apr-10-2012, 04:52 AM
Ed911 is offline Ed911
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Pictures View Post
I was about to say the same thing. I've got my parents old pictures...without the power lines, it looks less authentic for the period that you are looking at representing.

Nice image...

Ed
Old Apr-09-2012, 04:15 AM
travelways is offline travelways
Candid Grinner
I like #1 best for the feeling of old and also like the power lines for authenticity

I think the border is OK the way it is - I have one too in my entry, but now.... hmmm
we better ask Joyce.

Observing the world around is my hobby :)
Old Apr-09-2012, 04:26 AM
dnie is offline dnie OP
Major grins
Thanks Tatiana. The building on the right side looks ok to you then? I was concerned it looked to new.
The border, already asked There seem to be several of us with that question this round. I guess because I think of old photos having that edge.

My SmugMug
Old Apr-09-2012, 04:34 AM
richtersl is offline richtersl
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnie View Post
Thanks Tatiana. The building on the right side looks ok to you then? I was concerned it looked to new.
The border, already asked There seem to be several of us with that question this round. I guess because I think of old photos having that edge.
You can try distressing the right side of the photo to make that modern day building look not so obvious. Old photos do become faded over time and could have had some moisture damage or staining on them.

Definitely leave the power lines in.

http://lrichters.smugmug.com
Old Apr-09-2012, 05:43 AM
Candid Grinner
Quote:
Originally Posted by richtersl View Post
You can try distressing the right side of the photo to make that modern day building look not so obvious. Old photos do become faded over time and could have had some moisture damage or staining on them.

Definitely leave the power lines in.

Right - I even haven't noticed the right side building as being distracting in any way - it doesn't look that modern, but yes, give it some brushes :)

- Maybe you can try some more contrast too...

Old Apr-09-2012, 06:41 AM
dnie is offline dnie OP
Major grins
now we are stretching my abilities.
ok, off to figure it out.

My SmugMug
Old Apr-09-2012, 06:56 AM
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnie View Post
now we are stretching my abilities.
ok, off to figure it out.
Even if you don't wind up liking it or using it, at least you'll know how easy/difficult this is to accomplish in GIMP.

Old Apr-09-2012, 07:15 AM
dnie is offline dnie OP
Major grins
It may very well be easy and I just haven't figured it out.
This one was easy just burning the areas, but not sure it is really what I was going for... but getting there. I am still searching for more options.

My SmugMug
Old Apr-09-2012, 07:56 AM
Candid Grinner
A little too much..., but getting closer :)

Old Apr-09-2012, 08:22 AM
Major grins
Try fading it instead of burning it by adding this Vignette to your image: http://www.gimpology.com/submission/...vintage_effect

Scroll down to where you see Adding a Vignette and follow the directions there -- except where it says to fill your selection with black, fill it with white instead. If the white isn't cutting it, try changing it to the off white shade you have in thte photo. You may also want to experiment with the Feather selection. Try cranking it up to 250 of the setting of 150 doesn't look right to your eye. You can also erase sections of the vignette layer with a broad feathery brush to change the effect of the vignette. Just play, play, play.

Old Apr-09-2012, 09:51 AM
dnie is offline dnie OP
Major grins
Thanks Linda, I hadn't thought of fading it out... I will give that a shot next. They are all starting to blur together as I keep trying different things.

Here is the latest version that I have... I think I am leaning toward this version (at this moment anyway)

and here is a couple of versions of the light vignette... not too crazy about these.

My SmugMug
Old Apr-09-2012, 10:01 AM
Major grins
Try erasing the vignette on all but the section on the right. Also try changing the vignette layer opacity or change the blending mode from "Normal" to "Screen". See if that changes it somewhat more to your liking. You also don't have to use an oval-shaped vignette -- you can try a rectangle or a custom shape.

Old Apr-09-2012, 10:15 AM
dnie is offline dnie OP
Major grins
I will probably play with it more later. I have got to walk away for awhile. So much I need to be doing and I have played all morning.

My SmugMug
Old Apr-10-2012, 03:28 PM
Memol is offline Memol
Major grins
The power lines are older than 1912
http://fredlocke.insulators.info/Por...ltipart_p3.htm
In your new post, I like number 2. The color is better to me, but I don't like the tight crop to the roof on right side.
Page 1  of  2
1 2
Tell The World!